Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
swollen tongue, numbness right side, feeling of a knot in throat, bump ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

swollen tongue, numbness right side, feeling of a knot in throat, bump on right side lower back above tissue. What is it?

2006 I noticed a lump on my   right side with pain.  took X-ray & it was superficial I have bad back pain especially around my menstrual cycle. 2007 I fell on the job and tore my meniscus I am still waiting for surgery because I took the money.  Since I fell and tore my knee I have been feeling weakness in lower back and legs.  Accompanied with numbness from my head to my toes on the right side.  I have seen a DR and they told me that the lump was superficial and to leave it alone he asked if I had bruised it in the past I have not.  He said there may be something going on with my back I had this DR through workers comp I have no DR any longer.  My neck feels weird.  I constantly have this feeling that something is in my throat when I swallow.  My neck bothers me it almost feels like a tennis ball in my throat at times.  Especially when I lay a certain way.  My tongue has no crazy color its just swollen I noticed it today but I think I have always felt it since my throat started to bother me. My husband says I have vertigo because I get light headed especially in the morning with nausea and when on the elevator. I am 30 with 4 children married 10 yrs.  can any one offer some ideas.  I am very scared and with out insurance I have been suffering since 2006
1 Comment

Thanks for writing in this forum.

I will try to give the differential diagnosis of the various symptoms that you are having.First of all the bump that you are having can be a swollen lymph node or a sebaceous cyst. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection along with other numerous causes.Treatment is usually cold compresses,over the counter anti-inflammatory analgesics(pain killers) like acetaminophen or ibuprofen,antibiotics if cause of infection is suspected to be a bacteria and surgical drainage if there is any abscess formation.

Sebaceous cyst is a closed sac that fills with a fatty white material called sebum produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis.It is usually painless but can become painful if infected.Then antibiotics are needed.

If even after treatment the lump persists then biopsy or FNAC of the lump has to be done to see what is causing this lump.

Secondly,this feeling of something in the throat while swallowing is called globus hystericus. Globus hystericus is a subjective sensation where people feel a lump in the throat. At times, it is associated with difficulties swallowing. They are probably related to psychological problems. The most common cause is gastro esophageal reflux disease - GERD. GERD is treated by antacids, bland diet, small evening meals and elevation of the head of the bed.

Lastly,numbness can be due to diabetes, hypothyroidism, and hypoparathyroidismThey can also be due to peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency or malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms are gone or not.

In case the symptoms persist then pls consult a neurologist as it can be due to some neurological disorder.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Warm regards.