Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
teenager hears voices

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

teenager hears voices

I'm 19 and I hear voices telling me to hurt myself.  I know that they're not real, but I do hear them.  I'm a recovering alcoholic and drug addict (Darvocet and Percocet).  I also have some night time urinary incontinence.  My boyfriend thinks I'm schizophrenic, but it doesn't match the incontinence, and I do know that the voices aren't real.  What's wrong with me and how can I get better?
Do I remember you from a while back posting about having been sexually assaulted? (If not, sorry for the mixup.) If that is the case, such severe traumas can cause mental illness like symptoms, and it is your mind's way of dealing with the stres. It does not necessarily mean that you have a mental illness, but you do need a serious evaluation from a Psychiatrist and/or Psychologist for these current issues. The incontinence may be either medical or psychosomatic (meaning physical illness caused by stress). In either case I agree that it doesn't match up with Schizophrenia. You should have that taken care of by a medical Dr.
Look into treatment as follows:100mgs niacin,100+ mgs vitamin c,and 100mgs thiamine(b1)....2x day.My husband was a chronic alcaholic who stayd sober 5 years and then during severe stress and malnutrician nervously broke down. psychiatry often has no understanding of past alcaholism (alcoholism).I believe it has something to do with the damage caused by alcaholism (alcoholism) and somehow symptoms similar to beri-beri and pallegra set in.My husband got sicker on psychiactric drugs but better on the vitamins,and even now gets sick if he misses the daily dose,with symptoms of schizophrenia.The worse this deficiency progresses the more dangerous,but there is a stage which causes psychosis.Also traumas cause psychosis as the apst poster said.Good luck.
Hi Kate, I totally agree that you should seek a referral for your difficulties.  I used to work with children/teenagers who have histories of abuse &  drug/alchohol issues . In my experience abuse has multifacted effects upon individuals lives as drug/alchohol abuse do. I am not an expert and would if I was working with you advise you to seek appropiate specialist help.
If the thought of a psychiatrist frightens you what about counselling? Your symptoms do not mean as myproblem says  that you have schizophrenia. They do however suggest you have experienced trauma and I doubt very much that these episodes will go away on there own. Regarding the urinary incontinence I would get that checked out to see if you have a UTI but it is often related to the other symptoms which you have. Hearing voices does not mean you are mentally ill its often a sign of emotional distress and trauma. Take Care Chris
Just to clarify what I said in the last line I will Re phrase the last bit,  what I meant was you may not have a chronic mental illness like schizophrenia but it sounds like you are having  psychotic episodes with awareness (eg you realise the voices are not real)but you are hearing voices which no one else hears. Take care Chris
It sounds to me like you are having withdrawals for which they have meds for. Talk to your dr. I have known recovering alcoholics who had the same symptons. How long have you been sober? It will get better.
Thanks y'all.  Yes, I did post a while back.  I've been sober for about 3 months.  I'll try those vitamins.  Thanks for the advice, everyone!
There is something called drug induced paranoia.  It sounds like this may have happened to you.  It can take several to get some drugs out of your system enough to get rid of these symptoms if they are indeed drug induced.  Good luck.
Hey, I was abused as a child and the trauma from that didn't rear it's ugly head until I was well into my adult years.  I truly believe that you can suffer psychotic episodes due to stress or past trauma.  I wish you well - and think you are very well tuned into yourself to realize that the voices are not real - and that you need to search for the answers and the cause.  Good luck to you.
Prayer is also a source of help.  Pray for the voices to stop..pour your heart out...
let us know how you are doing!!
I wanted to let everyone know that I saw a doctor about this, and it turns out that the voices are from sleep deprevation (weird, huh?), and she thinks the incontinence is from stress.
You have urinary incontinence? You are probably a male (did I guess right?) with STD... Check them ALL (you are welcome to read other comments I posted in this forum).

Stress... there are two kinds: from outside, and from inside your body, when it is fighting against infections.