ulcer in chest
i have a friend who is suffering form ulcer in her chest from past few months. She had consulted many doctors, but nothing is helping her,. So , can somebody suggest me any medicine or treatment that can help my friend.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
By ulcer in her chest if you mean an ulcer on the skin of chest that is not healing, then this is a non healing ulcer. The ulcer could be non healing due to underlying infection, low supply of oxygen to the wound that is reducing the healing process, underlying diabetes, or due to underlying dermatitis.
A culture sensitivity of wound scraping is required to know what antibiotics will suit the infection. If there is underlying dermatitis, then this needs to be taken care of. Wound debridement would be required along with plastic repair. If there is severe atherosclerosis preventing blood supply to wound, then this needs to be diagnosed by angiograms. It would be a good idea to consult the surgeon regarding plastic repair by skin graft, after taking care of underlying cause.
If you are talking about gastric ulcer: Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole,  lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried.
Life style changes that will help include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
Your friend should consult a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) or a physician for this if these tips reduce your symptoms. You may need upper GI endoscopy for confirmation and to know the degree of damage.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!