Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
umbilical pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

umbilical pain?

I have been suffering from occasional severe umbilical pain and chronic constipation for the past 30 years. Back in the 70's I was diagnosed with "stress" (I was 4 years old). Then in the 90's (at age 18) I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, ulcer, and GERD upon upper endoscopy. As I got older, the severe abdominal pain and chronic constipation led me to ER visits at least once a year. Each time I was discharged, the diagnosis was minimal, including gas, constipation, and gastronenteritis.

I am now in my 30's, and the severe umbilical pain, headaches, and chills is now more prevelant than ever. In the past year I have seen 3 different GI docs, 2 different GYNS, and 2 Wellness docs. I have had CTs, Ultrasounds, upper endoscopies, minimal parasitology workup, and numerous blood tests. Everything comes back normal (no celiac disease either). The only diagnosis they came up with is gluten intolerance, of which, I have kept a 90% gluten free diet now for 2 months, only to have the symptoms of severe umbilical pains and headaches and chills come back more frequently. I have been taking fish oil for a few months and I am no longer constipated, so I now seriously doubt that is a reason for the pains. I also have never had an abdominal surgery, am psychically fit, eat mostly organic healthy food and am a female in my 30's.

I am at a complete loss. The only tests I can think of that I have not had are a colonoscopy and more parasitology workups. But no doc has any idea what this is. As I get older, the symptoms are more frequent, and I feel sick 4 days out of a 7 day week.

I am young professional with a great career and great family, and I just do not know what to do.

Any suggestions out there?

Thank you
Thanks for writing to the forum!
There are a few other things that you should look at—Meckel’s diverticulum, parasitic infestations, diverticulosis, irritable bowel syndrome, tuberculosis of the gut. Since you have this problem since childhood Meckel’s diverticulum should be looked into. CT scan of the abdomen should be able to diagnose this. Celiac disease can co exist with IBS, Crohn’s etc hence should be looked into seriously.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Thank you for your reply.
I did have one CT scan in Dec 08. It came out unremarkable except what the doc called "excessive fluid in abdominal area" - and I was told I was ok.
I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 18- but that really is a disease of exclusion, and if that is my cause of frequent pain I am in trouble- because there is no cure for it! :(
Meckel's is interesting- would they see this on CT if they were not looking for it? I was negative for celiac on blood work, and I have never (weird huh?) had a colonoscopy- which I think I am going to ask my doctor for now (chrons, colitis, etc.) any other suggestions?

THANKS! :)
Can I ask u guys, I'm 29 Female and I'm also feeling a mild to moderate umbilical pain with back pain. I also pass lots of flatus and feeling bloated. I experienced this recurrently for weeks already. Can u help me or give me advise pls about what's happening in my system? I'm quiet stressed with this. Thank u