Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
undiagnosed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

undiagnosed

weight loss of 15 pounds (current weight 92 pounds) as well iron deficient anemia, nausea and painful bones.
I have been going in cirlces with doctors, thankfully just started iron injection therapy (8 to go) but wonder if anyone else out there has anything same or advice? thank you.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Your iron level dropping is definitely a cause of concern! There are a few things which come to my mind. May be there is a bleeding in your gastrointestinal tract, either due to esophageal varices, polyps, gastric bypass site, hemorrhoids or an ulcer. Low iron could be due to poor intake, loss from body as happens in acidity and GERD, rectal polyps etc, due to improper absorption as in IBS or due to storage disorders. Also you need to get a pheripheral blood smear done to know the RBC count, structure and whether there is cytopenia (general decrease in cell count). The renal function and liver function needs to be checked as also electrophoresis of hemoglobin to know whether there is thalasemia trait or sickle cell anemia. Once the cause is found and corrected, then the lost iron is replaced by iron therapy, either in form of pills, capsules or syrups, or as injectable preparations. Consult your PCP regarding this.
Unintentional and unexplained weight loss is definitely not good. There are many causes like worms in stool, depression, anorexia nervosa, AIDS, cancers especially colon cancers, drug abuse, infections and loss of appetite. Loss of appetite can again be due to certain medications, drug abuse, depression, AIDS, acute and chronic infections, cancers and hypothyroidism. Either you do not eat well or there is increased metabolism as in hyperthyroid states, HIV, cancer etc. Poor absorption as in irritable bowel syndromes and malabsorption syndromes too is possible. Malabsorption syndromes are seen in intestinal tuberculosis, HIV, tropical sprue, parasites in stool and Whipple’s Disease. Diabetes too can be the cause.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!
Have you been check for autoimmune disease/disorder? Here is a check list that may be of help to you. http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/autoimmune-checklist.htm    I am not saying that you have anything wrong with your autoimmune but it may be. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Sissie
you could also have osteoperosis if your bones are hurting put more of vitamin d and c in your everyday life it will help with your bones hurting so much. the iron injections will definately help with the anemia.
thank you for your advice.
I do take multi vits and eat regular, healthy meals, exercise and live a positive lifestyle.
guess the most trouble I am having is for a doctor to move forward. in the past 5 months I have been quit by 2 doctors because I disagree with the sole diagnosis of depression (every tme I ask for help I am told my symptoms dont exist and that I am just depressed) I am thankful the iron injections have begun (brand new doctor now) however, cause of the deficiency has not been determined so a part of me worries the injections are feeding the cause. the weight loss is such that a belt doesnt matter because I swim in my clothes and so I cant wear those ones (that used to fit) anymore. I have strength enough but feel weak. Im worried that whatever is hurting my body has and is going to have a lot of time to do so because it is so hard to get anywhere with regard to a physician listening and problem solving rather than just being told to wait and see or be told its nothing much.
does anyone have advice on how to request certain tests or even just communicate without offending the doctor, I notice they do not like being told opinion (of your own), I guess it offends them or something like that..if I get quit by another then Im not sure what Ill do.
ive learned that speaking up when it comes to a dr is a good thing. if you dont voice your concerns with what is going on with you or  ask to be tested for things wheather or not your afraid the dr is going to be mad at you for speaking up or voicing your opinion. you are the patient and a dr has the obligation as your dr to make sure his patient is taken care of.