Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
unexplained weakness/ fatigue/ pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

unexplained weakness/ fatigue/ pain

For a few years now we have been going to doctors with the same symptoms and no one can diagnose my husband. He suffers from extreme muscle weakness, fatigue, and intense pain. The past few months the pain is mostly centered in his back and definately in the legs. At times the weakness and pain makes it difficult to stand or walk. Sometimes his head feels like it is clouded and it is very hard for him to talk. The pain interupts sleep and takes a toll on emotions. He has been tested for MS but the test came back negative. At the very beginnning he also had chest pains and we saw a cardiologist who did a bubble study. We did find a small hole in his heart where that little flap is supposed to be between the left and right chambers. We were told that it could contibute to some shortness of breath during strenuous physical exercise and that could contribute to the fatigue but that it would not cause fatigue that severe on its own. At this point we have been to so many doctors and had so many tests done, that the doctors seem to be at a loss to explain what  is going on. Perhaps someone here may have a new insight.
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
I am sorry to hear about your husband. Extreme muscle weakness, intense pain and fatigue can be due to fibromyalgia, low Vit D, Low Vit B12, severe anemia, or low testosterone. Severe depression, insomnia and sleep disorders (hence a sleep study is a must), African sleeping sickness (if have been to that part), chronic fatigue syndrome, HIV and SLE or lupus are the other causes. Dermatomyositis or inflammation of muscle can be another cause. Please discuss these possibilities with your doctor if have not been looked into.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!