Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
upper arm pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

upper arm pain

Hello I am 51 years old and am having terrible pains in my upper arm.this has been going on about 3 weeks. I have no insurance. right below my shoulder on the outside
I am talking unbearable pain.. at night i put sofa cushions under my arm  to hold it up so i can get relief.. At times is so unbearable that I litterally cry.. about 1 inch from my shoulder about 6 inches long.. it is not the whole width of my arm about 2 inches wide please help
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
What you have is probably Scalene Myofascial Pain Syndrome. When scalene muscle is the cause of pain, the pain is referred to chest, inner lining of scapula (shoulder bone), shoulder, posterior and lateral sides of the arm right up to the thumb and index finger. When this muscle shortens, this can press on brachial plexus (bundle of nerves and blood vessels in the armpit) and the subclavian artery and can compress or irritate these structures and can also cause symptoms such as abnormal sensation, cold extremity, and lymphedema (swelling of lymph channels) in the involved extremity.
Consult a physiotherapist, chiropractor or a neurologist. Take care!