Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
vaginal ulcers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

vaginal ulcers

I've been suffering from an ulcer on the inside of my vagina wall for about 8 mos. now.  It's very painful during intercourse but otherwise it doesn
Hello there,

I was talking to a dear friend of mine today and her condition sound identical to your case. Doctors keep telling her that it's "just a cut". Well we believe it's more than just that. Problem is, we can't get a diagnosis. I was just wondering if you figured out what it is. If so please let me know. Maybe I can put an end to her anxiety. Best of luck to you and thanks for your timr. I will be waiting to hear from you!

I've see 4 doctor's about my "ulcer" or whatever it is.  The first 2 said it was herpes even though all my hsv test came back neg. And if it were herpes it would of gone away when I took the valtrex they prescribed me.  The 3rd dr. said it was a "cut" that wouldn't heal. So he tried to cut the edges and stitch it back together. That didn't work. The 4th dr., I'm currently seeing, says its an aphthous ulcer. After numerous unsuccessful medicinal treatments she excised it about a week ago and stitched it up. I'm waiting to see what happens. But basically no one really has a concrete idea b/c I don't test positive for any std or the other skin tests i got. It's a mystery. I would have your friend go see a vulver specialist or a vaginal dermotologist.  Gook Luck!
i have the exact same symptoms.  I got tested for all STDs and everything came out negative (although I knew it would unless my boyfriend was cheating!). The ulcer goes away if I dont' have intercourse for a while, but comes back as soon as I do. Otherwise, I dont' feel any pain or discomfort. I've seen two doctors so far who have been no help, and am going to see a specialist soon. I am so worried! Please let me know if the surgery worked, and if you found out what the problem was?  Thanks so much !!
I have pretty much the same symptoms that you all have described, and am also extremely worried about it. A doctor I went to also said she thought it was aphthous ulcers but didn't act like it was a big deal and didn't tell me anything to do about it. Please let me know what you all hear about it as it seems like it is impossible to find information about it!
Here is my story and I'm hoping one of you can help me. I developed painful ulcers that I suspected were an STD about three weeks ago. Went to the doctor, she looked and thought "chancroid". I have not slept with anyone besides my boyfriend. Turns out, he had slept with another girl in late June but both swear to using condoms. Anyways, my doctor took a tissue sample and also did blood for every STD known to mankind. ALL came back negative. She had put me on Valtrex the first day of the sores (just in case) and I was on three pills a day (figured she would overdo it to be safe). After 10 days of that, the sores have still not cleared up AT ALL. I'm still in major pain and the sores are no different. When I called my doctor back, she told me that first outbreaks of herpes can be much more severe and that maybe she didn't get a good enough tissue sample and that maybe I had recent exposure to it. So today, my bfs tests all came back NEGATIVE for all STDS. He has never had ANY symptoms whatsoever, and I had been tested negative before we started dating a year ago. The clinician he dealt with, heard my condition and said "it is probably Apthous Ulcers" for which she needs steroids. She then gave him a referral to a specialist. My doctor had also treated me with penicillin in case it was strep A (which my labwork revealed but we all have a degree of it in our systems) and had also given me a shot of Cetrifixin which treats chancroid. I am terrified that maybe I still have herpes. So I sit here, still on Valtrex waiting to call a specialist. What tests can they do to determine if it is Apthous ulcers and do these things just heal up on their own? I am not concerned about future problems involving sex, as at this point, I am terrified to even go there. I've never had an STD and all signs point to it not being herpes. These ulcers basically look like someone poured acid on my skin. I could not find any pictures of herpes that even resembled this. It literally looks like my skin is being eaten away. HELP. OUCH. Urinating is excruciating and I have had to take pain pills to cope. :(
I am experiencing the same problem taken the same measures and gotten the same results. Nothing. Is anyones ulcers like raw spots with some bumps? It just feels raw
I've been diagnosed with ultra-painful vaginal apthous ulcers as well (after being tested for all STD's and coming up negative for them all).  I have a gluten allergy and I find the ulcers flair up when I accidentally ingest gluten.  Also, it flairs up when I'm stressed out.  All I can guess is that it's auto-immune related and you should figure out your "triggers".  Also, read about mucosal disorders (such as Chrone's disease). Doctors are totally worthless with this issue.  I'm actually the "boss" when I go into the doc's office, because I tell them what to prescribe for me.  Lidocain is good for treating the pain but it doesn't make it go away.  Anyway, hope this helps, and I'm willing to bet we all have the same thing (NOT STD's) but no one knows what it is.
This may sound really weird, but whenever I have an "invasive dental procedure" (Crown prep, involving lasering of the gum, etc) I get an apthous ulcer at the injection site. A day or two later, I may (not always) get an apthous ulcer on my labia on the "same Side" as the  dental procedure. They both last about a week. I too, had it checked out and there were no STD related issues. I have to agree that it is stress related.Our bodies are much smarter that we are.   : )
So back in Jan I posted saying that I had the surgery to remove my ulcer and I was waiting to see the results, well they weren't good.  Not only was it still there after 8 weeks of abstinance but it got bigger.  So I've been pouring on the lidocaine to ease the pain during sex.  I just don't know what to do.  I've seen the best of the best in Boston, MA, a vaginal dermotologist.  She said it was an apthous ulcer so I got all different kinds of cortisone shots in that area and nothing has worked.  So I guess for now I just have to live with it and rely on lidocaine.  In another blog someone suggested putting peroxide on it but that sounds PAINFUL, but she said it worked.  If I get the nerve to try it I'll let you girls know how it works out.  I'm sorry you are suffereing with this terrible mystery ulcer like me, but I'm glad I have people to talk about it with.
Yes, i have same symptons really sore, 5-6 years now, no one seems to care. Been tested for STD more than once too and I have only ever had one partner. Nurse said Doctors could never see the real ulcers if they dont use a clear spectrum as the ulcers are on my left side. Real patient husband sex is just a no go area.
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP--Friday night (june 6th), I came down with a terrible fever and chills along with painful open sores and bumps on my vagina. The next day I went to the doctor and was "diagnosed" with Vulvar Aphthous Ulcers. Doctors are completely useless  and all they tell me to do is "wait it out for a week" and the internet does not give me any clear definition of what this condition is. My week has been up and the only thing that has gone away is the awful swelling. Everyone's medical opinion has been the same as you ladies--HERPES. But its nothing like herpes and they hurt so bad that walking is almost impossible. Urinating is like a liquid fire that no ice, cold water, clobertasol, or acyclovir can put out. I don't know how old you ladies are but I'm only 19 and I've heard this happening in girls as young as 13 with no sexual experience at all. SO I THINK IT'S SAFE TO SAY A BIG HELL NO TO THE QUESTION "IS IT HERPES". What should be my next move????
I have been trying to figure out my problem just as everyone else has.  Only mine have begun within the past 5 months and I am curently in 2 days with a steroidal topical cream.  My doctor says that if this doesn't work we can try actual steroids.  I also have ulcers in my mouth as well as acid reflux.  Yogurt really helps my oral ulcers, because it has live active cultures, acidolphilous, (I have now clue how to spell that word).  But this doesn't help the ulcers down below, go figure. The first thing that the doctor was suspect to is called BECHET'S.  I'd suggest that you look this one up, symptoms can occur rapidly and can affect things you wouldn't put together to make this one disease.  I have also had all the blood work and a biopsy.  The blood work is negative of STD's of any sort and the lab workers decided that it does and doesn't look like Bechet's.  I live in the middle of nowhere but we have extremely good doctors, but still wiling to see a specialist.  These guys are hard to find.  I'm traveling to a couple of large cities here soon and like to get in to see a specialist, so if anyone can help on fiding these specialist people please tells us how.  I don't believe it's herpes either.  It has to be a type of autoimune disease.
I came across this forum in search of info on pain possibly due to cervical erosions, and thought I might suggest something I've recently found as a treatment.

Sea buckthorn oil is a natural oil you can buy that is very good at healing ulcers and lesions - with no known adverse effects.  For cervical erosions/ulcers, you can soak a tampon in the oil and leave it in overnight for 5-12 nights depending on the severity.

Google it for more info..and there's info on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_buckthorn_oil

I had the same EXACT thing happen to me...9 years ago.  The ulcers only lasted for about two weeks...but I never got an accurate diagnosis and for whatever reason, it still terrifies me to this day.  I felt a weird tingly pressure in my lower vagina and then they came. They started as blisters and then became large, painful ulcers.  I had to urinate in the bathtub because doing it the "regular" way was excrutiating.  I saw infectious disease specialists, regular doctors, gynocologists, you name it.  All of them suspected herpes.  All tests were negative. Luckily, mine went away and have never returned.  Have had so many negative std tests, I can't even count.  If any of you figure out what you have/had let me know.  I'd love to finally get some peace about it.

Take Care!
The same thing has happened to me.. I'm from the UK (guessing majority of you are from the US?) I had an ulcer type lump come up a few months ago, it looked like a cut and went away after about a week.

Yesterday I felt that it was quite sore after going to the toilet and looked to find 2 ulcers - nightmare!!!! They are swollen and both on the right side of the vagina. I'm 10 years old, and haven't had sex since March! I called NHS Direct and spoke to a nurse, she was very helpful in carming me down but said she obviously couldn't diagnose me over the phone. I also have an appointment with my doctor 5pm Monday. Am just worried that it's an STD that I have had since the beginning of the year!

Obviously reading what everyone has written here, I'm feeling hopeful that it isn't this, but if not - then what it is?? Once I have been to see my GP, if there is any diagnosis I can report back if anyone is interested, I have just been worrying myself that I was all alone with something 'down there' with no one to talk to until Monday..
**Attention**

Just read what I posted - I am not 10 years old, I am 20 years old.. Sorry for the terrible typo!!
Hi Lara,

My symptoms are almost identical - Last Tuesday I had sex with my boyfriend, and in the morning it felt like I'd ripped a little. There was a little blood so I used a tampon (hindsight, a pad would have been better?!) and the applicator scratched (VERY painfully) the lower parts of my labia as I was inserting it (I was in a rush and not being careful how I was doing it!). Anyway, the next two days were agony to pee, as the amonia (ammonia) stung the cuts - but when I checked again on Friday, the cuts had become small ulcers! I went to my GP yesterday who said he didn't suspect herpes (no other symptoms and have had 'vaginal trauma' as he described it!) but just him saying the word has frightened me....he gave me some antibiotic cream but the ulcers are worse today not better so I'm getting scared. Boyf and I are both STI free (as far as I am aware anyway!) but I keep reading you can only test positive for herpes if the virus is active, so previous herpes tests would be negative anyway as I've never had symptoms of this before????

I have made myself feel worse as all I have done is look on the internet, read all the symptoms, and convince myself I've got them all.........argghhh!!!

What did your GP say?
I am having the same issues it happened after I had sex with my boyfriend of 11 years. I am interested in finding the sea buckthorn oil. Can someone tell me where you can buy it or do you have to order it online?
I am 22 years  old since i was 14 or the last i can remember I have been having ulcers, they are mostly in my mouth.. its hard to explain them they look like craters that are pus filled.. and very painful to touch or anything. I get them in my mouth daily sometimes 1 to 4 or 5.this is very painful it got so bad sometimes i couldnt eat which would lead to me losing weight and made me feel very fatigue. I thought that was hell.. well then i started getting ulcers in my vagina of course the doctors assumed is was herpes when i  tested it came out positive for herpes 1 but not 2 which cause genitial ulcers.. so this left me confused... since then it has only gotten worse. I have been tested for everything well all std and they have all came out  negative. IM very confused and lost and feel alone. The uclers in my vagina can vary from small to larger like the size of a quarter.. and are covered with a coat looks pus filled i usually only get one but depending on my body and how i feel determines how bad they are. For instance with in these last two weeks i have been getting sick like cold flu like symtoms (symptoms).. running nose nasal congestion cough.. and i got an ulcer down there and is got as big as a quarter and that hasnt happened in months atleast 4 or 5 that i can recall. and the previous week to that i had a really uncomfortable ucler in between the vagina and the anus .. and my anus started breaking out . . and currently im recovering from all this .. my anus is still hurting and the big ulcer which is located on the inner lip of my vagina is still there .. the doctor saw it and basically said it was a large ulcer  ... no ****... well he tested me for herpes and trich.. bacteria vaginosis.. yeast.. and syphilis which ive been tested for before and i know it cant be that.. but i give up these are all very painful sometimes i cant walk and its hard not to get depressed ..ive been using the cream to numb the pain so i can atlease urinate .. which is hard to do every 20 sec.. does ANYONE i mean ANYONE have any advice... please
I had a break out of vaginal ulcers a little over a week now. When it first came up, I booked an appointment with my Dr. and before I could see my Dr. I developed a fever so I went to the ER and the Dr. that I saw said it was herpes. I told her I don’t cheat and as far as I know my husband does not ether. She said that I need to be tested anyway to make sure cause that is what it looks like and sent me home on acyclovir and vicodin. Urinating was so painful I had to sit in water just to go and even then I was screaming and crying. Three days later the test came back inconclusive. I saw my ob. she said the same thing herpes and she retested and im waiting on the results of that test. If it comes back positive im getting a devoice if its negative I guess I just boarded a boat with a lot of other women suffering from whatever this is. I found photos of herpes online and it does not look like the photos I saw but who knows. I have been taking the meds they gave me and I also started taking vitamin c, iron, lysine, zinc, and I have been applying oil of oregano if you try the oil of oregano make sure it is the real deal and only put one drop into four tablespoons of vegi oil and apply directly to ulcers it stings a little but really helps you can also get empty gel tab pills and put it in those and take it orally I am also taking a multivitamin all of this is to boost my immune system to help fight whatever this is. So far it is helping. my ob told me to used dermoplast it is a spray on over the counter pain reliever and it works great I use it about every two to three hours and I put it on about twenty minutes before I go to the bathroom and I can now pee pain free and I will never take peeing pain free for granted again my ob also told me to take four quarts of water and boil four chamomile tea bags and pour it in to the tub and add two cups of baking soda to help with discomfort she said it will also clean the area and to NOT use soap cause it could cause an infection and further irritation. I hope this info is helpful. If  anyone does actually have herpes I looked up some research on line and Duke university is working on a cure and hope to have it ready to clinical trials in five years and I herd they have begun some test in the UK. For now I am praying for a good outcome.
My daughter had her 1st case of genital ulcers at 12 during a case of stomach flu/sore throat--basically very painful genital canker sores. Doctor of course prescribes herpes medicines--didn't work--but it spontaneously cleared in a week. Four years later she had the flu and laryngitis and it happened again. This time for 2 years she had a relapse 3 times a year-- when she was stressed and developed high fevers. She had all kinds of diagnostic tests--tested negative for everything--except that her IgA for autoimmune disease was high. When she is stressed and near her period she gets canker sores in her mouth (we thought it might be bechets), followed by a high fever due to some respiratory illness. Within hrs to days she develops small pinpricks of blood in her genital area which become multiple genital ulcers--sometimes they fuse into large ones. Excruciatingly painful to walk or urinate or sit. She too has had to sit in a tub of water to pee--still the screams of pain broke your heart. Pieces of labia have fallen off so she has ended up with scarring. One time the damage was so extensive that her healing labia fused together--she had to have surgery but that was no where as painful as the ulcers! She has had another 4 yrs without a case until today--shes 23. Again she has the flu, high fever and lots of stress (college) but we know better how to handle this. Her malady is called Lipschutz Ulcer or Ulcus vulvae acutum. The symptoms are handled with lidocaine gel and painkillers (prescription strength at times) along with steroids or steroid creams (clobetasol propronate). Also they may prescribe antibiotics and antibiotic creams and recommend disinfectants and sitz baths.Course with treatment will run 1 to 3 weeks depending on severity. We have found that taking omega 3 (1800mg EPA minimum ) everyday along with good nutrition (lowfat meats & vegetables & fruits--high fat & sugar/carbs bad for inflammation)/nutritional supplements are important to help to keep this at bay--also managing stress that triggers this autoimmune ailment. Here is a link to a site with pics and much more info:http: //www1.mf.uni-lj.si/acta-apa/acta-apa-07-4/7.pdf  Hope this helps someone....
Hello, I am experiencing similar problems.  My first vaginal ulcer was the weekend of my senior prom in high school.  Went to the gyno and he put me on some strong antibiotics.   After a lot of pain and nasty pus, it finally went away.  The doctor suspected that the ulcer came about because I had been wearing a pad on a hot summers day and friction irritated me. A year later I worked as a waitress running up and down flights of steps in hot temperatures, that's when the second ulcer came about, much less painful than the first, thank god.  I basically just waited for it to go away.  Now, I feel a little bump outside of the labia and am scared an ulcer is forming on the labia.  Every time I go to the gyno he says everything is normal and find and to avoid getting too sweaty "down there".  Not sure of what to do for pain relief or how to prevent sweating!  I'm just really confused.
For the past few years, I've noticed that each time I am sick (cold, flu, bug, etc) I also get vaginal bumps or irritations. At first I thought it was herpes or an STD, so I started going to the gyno each time. I've had samples taken, blood tests and urinary tests, and all come back negative for all STDs.
Sometimes the bumps are open, sometimes they're just swollen bumps. I've been doing a lot of research each time, and found out that sometimes taking medications or drugs can bring this out - especially ibuprofen, so I've stopped taking that completely.
Yesterday I was sick with a 24 hour flu bug, didn't take any ibuprofen, just Tylenol, but woke up today with really painful red swollen bumps around my vaginal opening -- again!
Each time I'm sick, have a high fever, or take medications for a few doses this happens to me!
Do you think this could be the same ulcers you guys are experiencing? Sometimes they last a day or two, sometimes about a week.
Doctors don't seem to take it seriously at all, instead just treat it like herpes every single time, despite me testing negative several times. They've even put me on herpes medication to see if it would help, but it didn't.
When I explained to one doctor that it was painful to pee, it burns, they suggested peeing through a small cup, so the urine wouldn't touch my skin. How does that help? Am I supposed to carry a cup around everywhere?
Sometimes when I get to the doctor, the bumps have already disappeared and they seem confused when I try to explain it to them. I just don't understand why it falls on my shoulders to keep going to the doctor multiple times and taking tests to prove I don't have STDs. Shouldn't they be trying to get to the bottom of this and find a solution for their patient? It sounds like we're all in the same boat with the same feelings from doctors. They just want to write it off as an STD and not get to the bottom of it and really help us out. In the meantime, we're living with the symptoms and pain.
What I, and others on this page have described, has absolutely nothing to do with syphilis. Every single one of us wrote that we've been tested multiple times for STDs and the tests came back negative.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/STDFact-Syphilis.htm#symptoms

Yes, there may be a bump at the beginning of syphilis, but it is painless. What we are describing is not painless. We also don't have rashes on our hands and feet, and other symptoms listed on the provided website.

What about the woman whose daughter was 12 when this first started happening? I also had my first ulcer when I was 17 or 18 and was not sexually active yet. Those can't be explained away as syphilis, even if the symptoms matched - which they DON'T.

If you can't provide us with help, then you have no business commenting here and giving poor information and possibly scaring somebody who is looking for legitimate answers.
Hello there,  I am soooo glad to be reading everyone's comments because the majority of your stories sound just like mine, and I'm scared to death as well.  Here's my story.  On Saturday morning, I woke up feeling sick with flu like symptoms (cough, soar throat, fever, the whole sha-bang).  And the funny thing is that I never ever get sick, so I was devastated.  Later in the day I realized that I had some pain in my vaginal area.  It kind of felt like a little pinch at first.  Then the next day, my sickness got worse and so did my the pain in my vaginal area.  So finally when Monday came along, I looked down there and saw two sores on the inner walls of the lower opening part of my vagina.  The sores were right across from each other.  It scared me!  And it became pretty painful at that point.  So I was able to go to the doctor on Tuesday and she immediately thought the same as all of your doctors.....herpes. I was mortified because I have been faithful to my husband of 7 1/2 years and so has he been to me.  The doctor told me that if I have oral cold sores (which is also herpes but oral herpes), then I can pass it to myself down there as well.  This scared me!  I told my doctor that that is a horrible way to get herpes!  So she did the herpes test and I'm still waiting for the results on this. (this waiting is horrible, but that is why I'm frantically searching for things on the internet to help me figure it out.)  The thing is, that my sores do not look anything like the pictures of herpes on the internet.  They look exactly like mouth canker sores (they are red with grey-green inside that kind of resembles puss).  Just like how you girls described vaginal aphthous ulcers.  {sigh}  So anyway, I'll keep you all posted on what my results are and what the doc says after that.  It is just weird that I get these little vaginal sores/ulcers the same time I get sick.  Maybe stress related, like some of you suggested?  I just moved to a different state, so that is a possibility.  Thanks girls.
Good luck! It does sound exactly like the other comments, so hopefully your tests will all come back negative - it sounds like they will!
Hi all!  So i got what i thought was a cold on sunday.  The last two times i got sick, (once, almost 2 years ago, and the second time 5 months ago)  i ended up with these "sores".  I thought this time was different, my fever wasnt that bad, it only lasted three days; the last 2 times i had a fever of 104.

Two years ago i felt pain in my vaginal area while i was sleeping, i assumed my panties were pulling into me too tight, and went back to sleep.  About five pm the next day, i looked, and noticed a few solid purple grey spots.  I went to the ER that night; they tested me for every std in the book, and ended up prescribing valtrex to me.  I ended up in the ER again a week or so later because the infection had grown and eaten into my tissue so much i was bleeding.  After showing off my vagina to half a dozen people (while a nurse held gauze on my vulva) one doctor finally decided i had a skin infection, and prescribed lidocane and an antobiotic for skin infections.  Over the course of a those weeks my purple dots grew to large ***** infected "ulcers" which merged and took over about half of my vulva.

Last November, sick again.  Same pain in the middle of the night.  Went to the ER as soon as i woke up.  This time the doctors took more immediate interest in my condition.  They actually looked for answers, prescribed a stronger antibiotic and gave me lidocaine with steroids.  Peeing, walking, and moving was still excruciating, the swelling was still to the point where i had to waddle rather than walk, and i was essential immobile for a week and a half if not longer.

This morning in the shower, i felt them.  i have two in identical places, one on each side, which touch when i close my legs.  Im going to the doctors in a few hours.

Here's my hypothesis.  When i was younger i got ulcers in my mouth every other week, i have HSV1.  When i was 16 i stopped getting them completely.  When i turned 18 i had my first vaginal break out.  I believe the virus spread from my mouth to my vagina.  When i get sick, and my immune system is weak, i get these wonderful break outs.  Possibly due to the spread of bacteria, possibly because my body can't focus on keeping the virus under control and curing my other illness too.

What i have learned:  as soon as i start to feel sick, even just a swollen gland, start taking vitamins regularly.  thoroughly clean and exam vagina twice a day when sick to see if any spots arise.  make the doctors understand its not herpes, and if they insist on valtrex, insist on a skin infection antibiotic too, "just incase".  make yourself heard at the doctors.

I thought i was the only one with this disease until today...
Hi all I got my test results back!!  (See my story I posted on March 11, 2009).  And guess what the results were??  You guessed it!  My herpes test came back negative!  So that's a relief, but still.....now I really just want to know what the deal is with those ulcer sores.  After the 9th day from the ulcers appeared, they finally cleared up (pretty much the same time I got better from my sickness.)  So today, I feel so much better because my ulcers are gone.  However, I just thought that I would share with you that while I still had the ulcers, I started my period!  ug!!  That was a nightmare.  Of course I could only use pads.  But luckily the blood didn't burn my ulcers otherwise I would have been in trouble.  
I am in the exact same boat as all of you.  This is my SECOND time with this **** happening to me.  the first time was a year and a half ago...

I am 18 now, but when I was 16 in November 2007, my relationship with my boyfriend had just ended (stress? i handled he break up well so i do not know how stressed I really was) the day before my chaos started. (Let's just say I had a very rough week.) My throat became sore and I had a terrible headache and fatigue. At school while sitting, I had pain near my vagina. So i got home and looked at it. I had sores on my labia. I freaked out. I told my mom and we went to the family doctor. He used a speculum which was the most pain I have ever been in, considering I had a bunch of sores on my labia. He took some swabs for various STDs and also Herpes. He told us that he was pretty sure it was Herpes, and prescribed Valtrex for me. I was flabbergasted and scared. How could I have herpes? I had never been sexually active at all!  All the tests came out NEGATIVE.  (I still am not sexually active)

I went to the gynecologist for an appointment asap, which was a week later (the sores were healing by then). She had just had a similar case and it turned out to be mono. I was given a blood test. Turns out, there were traces of mono in my blood. It was never herpes. The sores went away after a few days. I was veryyyyy happy.

Here's where it gets bad again: Last Friday, I got the first Gardasil shot. Saturday, canker sores formed under my tongue. It is now the 7th day of these canker sores. On monday, I got a sore throat that I still have now. Wednesday, I had a terrible headache and fatigue. I also found the vaginal sores AGAIN. I went to the same doctor today. He took a look at it, and he STILL THOUGHT IT WAS HERPES!!!!!!  So of course, he swabbed for herpes again, making sure he got a nice big swab which I could tell because of how painful it was.  I also had some blood taken to be tested.  He said that all of this has nothing to do with the Gardasil shot.  But I believe that the shot did SOMETHING to my immune system and caused this all to happen again, which i never wanted to go through again. (When I found the sores again, I started to hyperventilate.  traumatic? yes.)

As I sit here, I sit with pain.  I have found a new way to pee this time around, so i do not have to sit in a bathtub.  For all of you that would like to know, I spread apart my vaginal area (with my fingers) and lean forward so the pee cannot run down to the soars.  It just comes straight out, because this way, the labia is not all stuck together, blocking the urethra opening or whatever.

The earliest appt. for the gyno that I could get was monday, and it will probably be healing by then.  I could really care less about the appt. because I just want it to heal as fast as possible.  But I also really want answers and since women seem to be having problems with this, doctors should spend time on this and not put it off to be herpes.  What are we paying them for???
Good luck w/ your appointment, and sorry to hear they keep thinking it's herpes.

I read an article in US News World Report (an issue about 2 or 3 months ago) about vaccines and their side effects. Gaurdasil had the MOST side affects of any of the vaccines. There are young girls and women who have had non-stop headaches, blurred vision, and other symptoms since receiving their shots.

Maybe you might want to hold off on the last 2 Guardasil shots? If you are not sexually active and plan on practicing safe sex, you aren't at a risk for HPV - which is an STD. Yes, this STD can cause cervical disease and cancer - but so can other STDs.. and the best way to protect yourself is abstinence, monotony, and safe sex.

It's not a required vaccination, and when I was asked about it the last time I was at the doctor, I was told insurance doesn't even cover it. It's 100% your choice if you want to receive it or not. It sounds like your system doesn't handle it well.
Yeah I am not going to get the next 2 shots. My friends had gotten it and had no problem.  And every time I've been to the doctor this year, he asks me if I want to get it.  So I finally said yes.  Now, I wish that I hadn't...

I've read very horrifying stories about the Gardasil shot this week.  I started to get scared once all of this started happening to me again.  But nothing new has happened, so I think I'm safe.  For now.

Whatever this is, it must be some kind of virus or something, because this is the second time it has happened to me with all the same symptoms.  I believe the mono weakened my immune system and so did the Gardasil shot, and caused this to happen both times.  The doctors don't seem to care.
My daughter is 16. She has had 2 of the 3 Gardisil shots. 1 last May 2nd last August. Last Oct. she ended up in the hosp. with 104 fever and herpe like sores soooo painful she could not urinate. The dr's tried to tell me that it was herpes. The tests came back neg over a dozen times. She was sick again last month now she is sick again. I am positve that it was the Gardisil vaccine that has comprimised her immune and left her with somthing they have now labeled Lipshcutz disease, no cure no treatment. How many of you with these symtoms (symptoms) have had 1 or more of the shots. It is my intent to prove my theory. Please e-mail me with your story. I want Gardisil to find a cure for what they have caused. Maybe if we can prove it. We could get a lawyer!!!! Lets help each other. My e-mail is ***@****
Hi there, I posted a few VERY similar stories to yours above, and I wanted to let you know what helped my sores heal.  I've always known to take lysine for my canker sores in my mouth because it helps send oxygen to the sores which means they heal so much faster.  So then I got the idea of taking lysine (which is just an herbal supplement you can get at your grocery store) for the sores on my vagina since they looked just like the canker sores that I have gotten in my mouth.  I took about 6 lysine pills right before I went to bed (it's okay to take that many because it is just herbal and you pee out what your body doesn't need) and the next morning my vagina ulcers were healed about 50 percent!!  So of course I took a ton more lysine that day and that night and by the next day my sores were gone.  So although I too am still searching for an answer on what caused my vagina sores, I do know that if it happens to me again I will have the lysine ready because it did help.  I just wanted to pass the word to everyone.  Oh and I have never had a Gardisil shot before.  I do think that possibly it was stress related for me.  So maybe the Gardisil was stress on your body's system and thus came the vagina sores?  I hope this helps others that suffered like me.
Ok girls, I have the same problem, but I didn't feel sick or anything.  I've had a breakout with cankersores lately like 3 to 4 of them at a time.  I've always since I was a little girl have had this problem. Just the other day I felt a good amount of pain near the back of my vagina on the inner right lip a day or so after having innercourse with my husband where we used some warming lubricant.  I took my mirror and looked and had what I describe as a cankersore there.  It is very painful.  I went to the doctor yesterday and the fist thing he said was herpes.  I've been with my husband for nine years now and have never had anything like this.  And like everyone else I looked at the pictures on the net and read everything I could on it and it just doesn't sound or look like that.  It looks like what I get in my mouth.  The doctor put me on an anti viral drug and took a painful culture and blood to test for antibodies.  My husband had a cow and is now thinking that I haven't been faithful and I'm really freaked out myself.  I am waiting for the results from my tests which could be sometime next week.  It's starting to feel a little better now so I think I'm on the healing side of it.  But I know that it is not herpes. I had no blisters no fever or any of the other symptoms they say.  Just one day it was there.  Just like it happens in my mouth.  Just to let you know, I know I probably shouldn't but I've been using the same stuff I use on my mouth and it helps the pain.  It contains benzocain.  Thanks for listening.  Let you know the results  
Just read above comments posted from 2/07 to present. My 15 yr old daughter has recently experienced severe, similar symptoms described above.  First presented with migraine-like severe headaches over past year. Starting about 6/11/09 additional symptoms included nausea, temp of 104.7 lasting days, 3 trips to ER, morphine IV's for severe pain, Major vaginal lesions, ulcers, extreme labia swelling, unable to walk, urination extremely painful.

She has now seen over 24 different drs in gyn, internal med,  infectious diseases, opthalmology and just yesterday finally Rheumatoid specialist.  

Diagnois of Behcet's -- Usually autoimmune is triggered by something and system doesn't shut off properly.  In this case I think the possible trigger (after reading many posts and having this suspicion early on) IS GARDASIL VACCINE -- additionally stress.

Behcet's is unknown cause/cure - possible genetic, however cannot find any genetic criteria she might meet within family.

She has been on 10 different meds since this started in June, Prednisone seems to be reducing her symptoms significantly - She was previously in bed for 3 weeks as it was EXTREMELY PAINFUL for her to walk and urinate.

With exception of Rheumatoid specialist, NONE of these doctors had seen anything like her Vaginal Ulcers -- Most all thot first Herpes, all STD tests were negative, her anti-body tests however came back positive.

This has been excruciating to watch my daughter experience, it's amazing to see how almost overnite these ulcers developed.

She will now require monthly visits for the time being to Rheumatoid specialist, re-checks every 4 months with Opthalmology, and very, very careful monitoring in many others areas.

I would highly recommend to any of you in above posts with similar situations to think about seeing a Rheumatoid specialist.

I sincerely wish you all the best in getting help - in the meantime I am going to make sure the FDA is alerted to possible Guardasil reaction.
I know someone who is dealing with this painful situation. It's frustrating because there isn't a "reason" or a cure for this. She has seen a specialist and he can't tell her anything. She is using Lidocaine, but it doesn't really mask the pain that much. She can barely walk, and urinating is so painful she dreads going to the bathroom. She has also used peroxide and this did nothing. I am glad I found this site and all the helpful information.
I am surprised/relieved to find that she is not alone because I haven't heard of anything like this before. I hope you all find remedies. If I learn of anything I will post.
I am so glad that I found this forum. After looking at pictures of symptoms that didn't quite fit I had literally worried myself sick until I saw this. I am still worried, though. Does anyone have any advice?
I have only had sex with one boy in the last year, once in jan and once in march. My last pap smear was over a year ago, though.
  I get chronic yeast infections so irritation and itching in my vaginal area is typical, but earlier this week I came down with a fever and soar/itchy throat, and little bit of a cough.  I went to the health clinic to confirm for mom that it wasn't swine flu, and it wasn't. The dr perscribed a z pack and i'm on the last day of it and it pretty much cured my fever/sore throat. A few days ago though, I had some pain down there when using the bathroom and didn't think much of it until the next day when it was worse.
That's when I noticed something i'd never seen before and got worried. I had about three white filled ulcers around the outside of my vagina. They hurt, I stayed up till 4 worrying. The next morning I looked at them again and they had ruptured and there was some white fluid. I took a shower and looked at them at the end of the day, they are now flat, but still white in the middle (like a canker soar but in the vag) I am worried though : ( I am hoping to call the gyno tomorrow (monday) to ask if I can come in and get checked out. Just wanted to share this to see if anyone else has experienced the white color blister/ulcer type soar down there, I know some people were talking about purple/grey but that's not what I have. I don't think it's an std, but am still worried! very relieved to find this forum though! Please help!!
To respond to the gardisil vaccine cases; I am not sure if this is related, but after taking Gardisil I got bumps on both labias and pelvic area, not near the inside of the vagina, though- the dr said I contracted them from anywhere from sharing a bathing suit to razors. They were treatable and she said it wasn't a virus, but I wondered if they were a small side affect of the HPV vaccine (because they looked like warts and were treated like them.) But I'm not sure, I didn't get the last shot after I got these. It could be unrelated to Gardisil, but they appeared after my first vaccination shot. It could be that I got them through contact, like my Dr said is the way to get them.
Hi, I originally started this blog back in , Jan 31, 2007.  I'm happy to say after numerous failed surgeries and mediciation attempts, that stupid little "ulcer" has gone away.  How?  I have no clue.  I just gave up on worrying about it and one day decided not to use lidocaine during sex...and I didn't feel any pain.  I'm too scared to actually look down there to see if it's still there, I'm just happy I don't feel pain.  I wish all the luck to you girls and hope that time will heal you too.
Hi I am 68 years old I have been celibate now for about 12 years, but a few weeks ago these ulcers or blisters not sure what they actually look like, but they start out tingly and itchy.  I have been wondering if they are caused by toilet paper.   I bought one of the cheaper recycled toilet papers and that is when my problems began.   I have been using Caneston and I even used natural yoghurt, which helps but the problem keeps on returning.  I am going to stop using toilet paper for a time to see if that helps.

I have not yet seen a doctor about it.  But if this new course of Caneston 6 Day Treatment doesn't work I will do so.

I am on High blood pressure meds and a diuretic.  Plus lots of supplements.  But I don't think that is the cause.
I have currently gotten the ulcers and like one bump...i am really scared that it may be herpes....but after reading this i am a little relieved. My symptoms consist of swelling, ulcers, redness, and a very painful clitoris. Does this seem like any of your symptoms???? Please help me!!!
So I was somewhat releaved once I came across this page..I have had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM as every single person on this page. the problem began over two years ago when iw as just dating my husband. My husband(boyfriend then) was my only sex partner, ever. We had 4-5 months of great sex and then one day, boom, sex hurt horribly. the pain began to get so horrible that I couldnt have sex at all. we went from having sex 3 times a day to maybe once a week or less....but anyways..i had started YAZ birth control a few months prior to the pain appearing.

I dealt with the pain, until: the day after our wedding I woke on my right "lip" a sour itchy red bump, and naturally i freaked. Well I started to feel very ill and sick that day. the next day my husband and i began a very long drive from Ill to TX, and i got so so sick, I developed red lumps around my anal whole a blister on my left inner thigh next to my vagina, a blister on my vagina, above the clit(where pubic hair grows) my husband looked inside of me and said that he saw somethign that looked like a cut. defication and urination became so unbearable i had to do both in the shower(ugh, what nasty, still painful process that was) My urine was thick and orange like orange juice(dont know if had become severily dehydrated or what, and my discharge kept changing from water like to thick yellow/brown like. I couldnt wear jeans or underwhere because of the pain. the tonly time i felt good was laingin the fetile position in bed. Oh, and i became very sore tot he light touch in my vaginal/upper thight area(not sure what its called). After I got onto my husbands health insurance we went straight to the ER, well the doctor polked one blister and said," this is herpes" then asked if we had sex(blank look shared between my husband and i) the doctor pointed at my husband and said, "you have it to" that was it she then perscribed me that valtrex medication and some pain killers. Well The process did start to heal and the pain killers def. helped, but my husband had a STD test and the results came back, NEG.I then went to my family Practioner(this was after we were settled in texas, myhubby is miltary so this infection came at the worst time) and was tested for all STD's and guess what? F-ING NEGATIVE!!! I have to say i have had 6 PELVIC EXAMS SINCE THIS WHOLE NIGHT MARE HAS STARTED! AND THE SIXTH DOCOR RIGHT  OFF THE BATT SAID YOU HAVE AN ULCER ON THE BACK OF YOUR CERVIX WALL. It is PATHETIC it took me six doctors to get an answer on what has been the cause of my horrible pain for all these years(givin, not a reason or a treatment yet) I am picking up my prescriptions today, MACRODANTIN,BACTRIM, and ESTRACE CREAM. I do have some bladder issues and "rawness"  issues so not sure if any of this is for the ulcer. Dealing with bladder problems for over ten years. I am scheduling an apt. for a pelvic ultra-sound to see if there is anything else wrong, and i have another appointment with the UROGYNECOLOGIST(yes this is a real specialist, sanjay Gandhi, M.D., has been a real help thus far) march 2 to get some sort of exam(the stick a camera up me, and something else) and i am going to talk about some other options(the sea buckthorn oil on a tampon remedy and taking the lysine herbal pills nightly) although I have not had that horrible infection, the ulcer is sthill there and still hurts horrible during sex(my hubby is in Iraq for a year so i get a break and some time to try and get rid of this pain in my @$$ ulcer) I did everything right growing up, I ate healthy exercised(horse back rode and snowboard) never did drugs, never drank and didnt have sex, not even with my husband until her purposed. I dont understand why this has happened, why i am constintly tested to my limits and never seem to catch a break from being screwed over one way or another. This isnt fair at all, I am a good person and love my husband with all my heart, but if this can not be cured i will have to rethink what is best for both my husband and myself. I just want this pain to go away. I am almost 21 years old. Will update after the ultra sound and second exam.
What a relief to find this...I have two painful huge ulcers. One right inside my vagina and one between my vagina and anus. I have not been to the Dr yet. I was laid off and lost my insurance, but I called my Gyno and of coarse she suspected it was herpes. But I like all the other ladies freaked out and have done alot of research on herpes and THIS LOOKS NOTHING LIKE HERPES. No puss, no scabbing, no clusters.. just huge undefined, odd shaped white things. Is this what everyone is referring to? Its been over a week now and they have not changed or healed. A couple of days before this started I did have a 24hr bug with fever. I believe I also have a yeast infection along with this other nightmare. Im just wondering if this is what everyone else is experiencing???
Well I have had a few exams now and the dr. said its a vaginal ulcer and vulvar vestibulitous(pardon my spelling)....what i suspected from the begining...Its pretty much a wait and see process with the ulcer, because my hubby is in iraq for the year on IA orders, but we will see. Its aggrivating but at least it is getting worked out. I havent had any more infections but i have been feeling pretty ******. oh also, the doctor saidt hat YAZ BC causemy estrogen level to go dangerously low.....so i am on a cream for that....also i have 4 otyher antibiotics for my bladder...thats a long story....anyways i figure i will give this doctor a shot considering he is the first one to catch the ulcer. just have to wait and see i suppose. I am thankful to have a wonderful husband as well he has been nothing but supportibe through this mess...it really does suck to have to go through this crap at such a young age, only 21 :/
WOW.... after reading a whole load of similar problems i thought i was the only person who has Aphthous Ulceration...
After being sexually active for 10 years never had i ever experienced painful sex after being with my boyfriend of 5 months.
I am confessing one thing, I am obsessed with my health so whenever a problem arise i'm down the Clinic as fast as Cheetah.

I am 26 years of age, healthy, no family history of illnesses. After seeing 5 Doctor's & 4 Nurses I was diagnosed with Aphthous Ulceration today.
I had been given Aciclovir Tablets (5 per day) but this hadn't cured my problem so the Doctor had given me Aqueous Cream to wash my vagina with along with a Betnovate Cream (Steriod cream). I'm going to see how i get along with these creams & will definately keep you ladies posted.
If all else fails, my Doctor did recommend another Tablet to take but i did not take the name for it as i want to see how i get on with the creams.
I do however have another appointment with the Doctor in two weeks so fingers crossed ladies....
keep your head up high :)
i have been suffering with this for over a year started in Feb 2009, i had 4 ulcer on the walls of my vagina, the were the size of golf balls, one was on the bladder and my gyno was very concerned about this, i can not tell you what i have been tested for, i have been test for everything wise and wonderful, from the herpes - hiv, you name it, my test were sent to hospitals all over the country and everything came back negative apart from my Erythrocyte sedimentation rate which showed that there was an infection in the body.... anyway, i had surgery twice , the ulcers were cut and then stitched, but this did not stop the pain and also bleeding, lots of bleeding from the ulcers.  And then end of February i went to the gyno he had a look and said "beautiful all gone, the very next week i woke up with a lump on my libia minora and within 2 days i had a sore as large as a ten pence piece. i went back to the gyno and more swabs were taken, then my gp suggest i see a dermatologist who deals with valuvular, i went to see her 5 days ago and she diagnosed lipschutz ulcers, she prescribed fucibet cream, this seems to be doing the trick, the ulcer is healing and not pulling so much now, i am also using emla to numb the area every now and again.
I am hoping this never comes back, the dermatologist was surprise because i am in my 40's and she only sees this in children, from around 6months to about 19.
Hi there, its me again the one before the last message.
I've used both creams the Doctor ordered only the Aqueous Cream had given me BV (Bacterial Vaginosis) in which i chose to stop using but the other cream Betnovate Cream (Steroid Cream) helped the pain eased a hell of alot! Other than that, although i'm not happy with the result as the pain is still present, the Doctor is now referring me to a Dermatologist which can take up to 4-6 months on the waiting list.

Meanwhile the Doctor also given me Colchicine Tablets to take aswell as the Metronidazole to treat the BV.... The Colchicine Tablets should do the trick but this Tablet is suppose to be treated for Gout which is Arthritis on the foot which has nothing to do with my symptoms but its a very strong drug that if i suffer the possible side effects for example vomit or diarrhoea then i should stop taking it at once then the next drug will be prescribed to me. The Doctor had prescribed the Colchicine Tablet to a gentleman in the passed that helped him so she wanted to see how i'll get on with this.

Other than feeling like a Ginea Pig, i'm also being strong to help get rid of this problem! What this space ladies....
Me and my bf have been together for almost a year and having sex almost as long. Im nineteen and so is he. I lost my virginity to him and he swears im his first but recently i've developed sores and some pain on my right. i don't know if he cheated or well i don't really know. i've researched and the only thing that matches is CHONCROID but he shows NO SYMPTOMS. I haven't slept with anyone other than him so it's unclear to me why this would happen. Im going to my first gyno visit tomorrow and i hope they know what it is and im hoping it's curable aswell.
Hi there I am also haveing problems.  

Now my story is a little different but also the same.. 2 years ago I had a bone marrow transplant for my leukemia.  I am now cancer free and have been since my transplant.  But about 6 months after transplant I developped  this ulcer thing right on the back end of my vagina (like right where you would split open if you had a kid) It is terrible it hurts it bleeds it *****!!  I went to 3 different gyno's and on many different creams.  at first we were linking my problem to Graft vs Host disease (rejection related to my transplant)  So I was put on an estrogen cream called premarin, it didnt work at all, then I went to a different gyno to get a second opinon so she put me on a High dose of antifungal med and a new Steroide cream.  None of these worked.  I tried this for about a year and a half.  I finally talked to my cancer dr and she hooked me up with this gyno from UW Madison. My 3 gyno and he said well there are 2 options try this cream or surgury.  I couldnt believe it another damn cream!!!(or should I say ointment)  So I thought well whats another couple weeks of dealing with a cream.  So I tried the cream.  And I couldnt believe the results!!!!!  IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  After almost 2 years of dealing with this problem 2 weeks after starting the cream it worked!!!!  Now It was 3 months and I was still using the cream 2 to 1 times a day.  I went and saw the gyno and he said great!  So he told me to slowly back it down to 1 time a day then to 3 times a week.  Well I didnt listen and I just stopped using it all together.  Now sad to say I learned my lesson my ulcer came back on monday.  But I quickly started using the cream again full blast and it is now friday and my uclcer has almost cleared up again.!!!!!!!!  I am so happy I thought I was going to be doomed once again but I think that all you ladies should go to your Dr's and have you all try this ointment.  

It is:

Protopic
Tacrolimus ointment  0.1%

It is usually perscribed by dermatoligist's but my gyno decided to try it on me.  Now since it is usually perscribed by dermatologists my ins had problems covering the medication.  But the ointment goes a looong way.  I have had mine for 3 months and It cost about $55 dollars so that is less than $20 a month.  And let me tell you the relief that I have is soooooooo worth it.  So please I suggest if you all are still having problems or for future people who are having problems bring this up to your dr and report back!!!!!  I thought there was no hope for me and I would have to deal with this pain the rest of my life!!!!  So pass it on and if you have good or bad results post them and maybe we can find a "cure" for these ulcers.
I am only 25 years old and if I had to deal with this the rest of my life I would probobly never have sex or use a tampon ever again!!!  

I Hope all goes well for you all!!!!
Amanda from Madison WI
I just wanted to tell you that i had also been on the acycolovier tablets and i still am because of my bone marrow transplant.  So I could tell you that the acyclovier had no effect on my ulcer I know this because I have been on the medication for over 2 years and they also tried an anti fungal med called fluconozal which didnt work either.  I hope you get this and ask your gyno to perscribe the Tacrolimus ointment which i have posted above.

Tell us how it goes
Amanda from madison wi
I have had an apthous ulcer for 9 months. First my doctors wrote if off as herpes but the cultures were all negative. Like the rest of you, I go months without sex and it seems better, but as soon as I'm active again it flares and bleeds. I've tried topical sterroids and lidocaine. Nothing helps. Doctors are baffled. If someone else has any success with their sore please post it.I'm extremely down about this and am feeling defeated
well, thought i should probably post an update since its been serveral mo nths now. my husband has still been on is IA so i have not had any sex for ...8 months now i believe. My doctor said its a good thing b/c i need the year to let my body rest and recover from what the yazz birthcontrold did. i have been taking several medications for some bladder issues(which according to him said it was contributing to the painful intercourse) and i have been taking estrace cream to help with the vulvar vestibulitious as well as the vaginal ulcer. been wearing only cotton underwear which is sad b/c i miss my sexy silk/spandex/lace undies, but i am doing everything possible. no more pads as well b/c the ulcer is kinda external and the doctor said the pad and the blood will make my ulcer worse. also been taking L-Lysine 500mg pills b/c someone previously said it helped their ulcer. anyways it has been a long long wait but my husband comes home in a few weeks for R&R and we will see what happens, the though of having sex is horrifying but i am eager to see if this "wait and see" process has cleared my ulcer away. if not, i will be having the surgery to remove it and have my "lips" snipped to make me a little" wider" i guess, b/c that corner is where the ulcer is inside and its from "tearing" in sex and yazz lowering my estrogen level. anyways, i cross my fingers for everyone else so cross your fingers and pray like hell for me. my hubby is my only sexual partner and i am only 21 years old. it would be such a shame and a waste to not be able to have sex with my husband anymore..
oh, i had a question for everyone. i had had my infection after a year os so of probably actually having the ulcer and it was mis diagnosed as herpes just like everyone elses, but my question is has anyone gotten that "infection""illness""sickness" more than once" b/c i have not, andi am just wondering if that was a one time thing, and if so thank goodness. it has been a year and half but i will never forget the pain, and how sick i was.
I'm am so confused for everyone on this post and as a mother. My story is so similar yet different only due to age. I am a mom and this is happening to my daughter!!! She is 11 years old and as she should be at 11 she is a very sweet, naive, happy, boyfriendless and sexless. Let's just get that clear up front.

Our story began like alot of yours. She had spent a week at camp which I was at with her. Nothing out of the ordinary other than hotter than heck temperatures outside. Thursday evening she had an upset stomach nothing crazy and that wasnt completely out of the ordinary for camp. Anyway by Friday morning she woke looking very pitiful as we packed to go home. As we finally made it home I could tell she was running a fever. So we got off the school bus went home and showered and went straight to the doctors office. She was complaining of her hed hurting,fever was 101.7 and a sore throat. The doctor performed a strep test, the rapid test came back negative but the P.A. said he would send it out for a coulture and treat her for strep due to swollen lymphs and the fever. She was prescribed the Azythromicocin. (may have spelled it wrong- zpac for short).
Saturday morning she woke up telling me her head hurt and it hurt and itched "down there". I gave her tylenol for her headache and told her not to itch "down there".  As the day progressed she continiued to itch so finally we took a peak to find what has begun our nighmare!! She had 2 sores which I descriped as blood blisters about the size of an english pea one on each side of her libia. I knew at that point that they had to hurt and burn so I coated them in neosporin just trying to soothe them. During the night her fever went to 103. Sunday her fever was down but she was complaining of the pain - understandalby so! Sunday evening we decided to take her to a childrens urgent care center after seeing the P.A and the doctor. We were then told that they had no idea and reffered us to one of the states best children's hospitals told us they had called and told them about us and to go straight to ER. We got to the ER once again while we were there her fever spiked to 103.3 and after 3 Doctors the last one finally decided to do a strep test on them because at this point they have grown and no longer look like blood blister. They now are being called vaginal ulcers by the doctors. They have a puss center and seem to be contunually growing. As predicted by the doctors the strep test came back negative (she was on an antibiodic already) they said they did not have any idea and to follow up with her primary care by Tuesday and prescribed lortab for the pain. Being a female and mom I didn't like that answer when I know the PAIN she had to be in as these things were growing. So I called her primary first thing Monday told her Dr. what we had been thru he was awe struck - "I've been doing medicine for over 12 years and I've never seen anything like this" That has come to be the theme of this. He did a bacteria coulture and sent us to a skin cancer specialist. She too had her eyes bug out of her head. Although I will say they all looked at her and said it didn't look like herpes strait off the bat I guess because of her age(11) but the Dr decided to due a herpes coulture anyway! This doctor gave us an oral drug Acyclovir, took a photo for research which I'm all for if she can give us answers. She gave us some info on Behcet's syndrome/disease and was going to try and get us in with another specialist. We received a call within a couple of hours from  primary Dr and we were asked to come in to do blood work. They took 6 vials of blood from my daughter as if she wasn't traumatized enough. Again just get to the answers! like all of you it hurt her to walk, sit and to use the restroom is unbearable!!!! We are currently still waiting on all of the bloodwork results.

The Skin cancer specialist did some research and sent to photo to other specialist and said they had seen outbreaks like this with mono. So they had that test added to the other bloodwork. Her fever has stayed down since Monday until this morning(Sunday-one week later) she woke me with a 100.5 still low but none the less we are back to a fever. I am terrified as a mother the long term effects this may have for my daughter and how this could affect her in her future. I have no answers but I will continue to try my best to get one!! My daughter along with all of you deserve that much.  

Good luck to you all.
PS she have not had gardasil.
For those of you who are having alot of pain when peeing. A little trick I learned from having given birth to 3 children, find yourself a plastic squirk bottle and fill it with room temperature water and then squeeze it so the water runs down the vagina while peeing. Makes a huge difference. Dilutes the urine so it doesnt sting. Plus you can tuck the bottle in your purse and take with you so you can actually leave the house and be able to pee if you need to. Hope this helps.
I'm so happy to hear that I'm not some rare case.  I have had a very sharp stabbing pain near the opening of my vagina, just to the left of my urethra.  It started about 4-5 years ago, during my marriage.  It came and went, I asked my gyno about it and attempted to show him where it was and apparently at the time the ulcer was so small and in such difficult spot he basically blew me off.  I have been tested for everything and negative.  The pain is the the exact same spot which I find really strange.  I have had one serious relationship after my divorce, and experienced the pain only occasionally.  I have been in a new relationship for about 3 mos now and see my boyfriend only occasionally because he works out of town.  We have sex usually 3-4 times a day when we see each other, but the pain has become chronic and the ulcer seems to have remained this time.  I just started on othrotryceline lo when I started seeing him and had a copper IUD before that,  I wonder if the hormones have affected the ulcer in making it more persistant.  I have tried topical steroids and oral supplements, anitbiotics including cipro and macrobid mostly because I get uti's from anything.  The pain has become so bad that I almost don't allow my boyfriend to penetrate me anymore, which doesn't make either of us happy.  Sometimes the pain goes away a little once we've slowly worked it in, or maybe my adrenaline kicks in and takes over the pain,  Who knows?  Has anyone ever heard of this kind of thing being chronic and in the same spot YEARS!!???  It even hurts when I sit of move in certain ways.  It seems to get better if I have a break from sex for a few weeks, which is typical, but comes right back after our first session.    
I'm going to try the Lysine and buckthorn oil tampon trick and see how it helps.  Is it just a tear or cut that won't heal? Or is it an ulcer, its so small, like smaller than an eraser, and gets smaller with healing time.  I would pursue medical help, but I dont have insurance and in my experience I just end up getting the run around and a bunch of prescriptions that don't help.

Thanks...any info would be amazing
I too have recently had 2 ulcers pop up earlier this week - man they hurt as you all describe.  I'm married, only ever had the 1 partner, and thus low risk for STDs, but got the lesions tested anyway.  I'm also a medical student and these ulcers do not look herpetic.  They look just like mouth canker sores aka aphthous ulcers, and my Dr. agrees.  Unfortuneately my Dr. did not have a good treatment answer, and just gave me lidocaine jelly.  That works well, but the relief is short lived - less than 30 minutes if you're up walking around.  I also have a substantial history of oral canker sores, so I've tried tons of things for those.  I finally remembered something that I hadn't really liked much for oral ulcers, but thought it might work.  They're called Canker Covers.  They are little disks that adhere to the sore and protect it for faster healing and provides some analgesia.  They slowly dissolve over 8-12 hrs.  I was a little scared to use it, but gave it a try today.  It's not perfect, but it is really helping me going on 5 hours now.  Hope that helps someone.

As for diagnosis of these things...it looks like from my reading that options are Lipschutz ulcer (can come up w/ a high fever and may or may not be associated with a systemic infection - usually in younger girls to young adults), Bechets Disease, or Crohns Disease, or Idiopathic Genital Aphthosis (cause not understood the same way mouth canker/aphthous ulcers are not understood).  Those of you who have had 1 ulcer that has persisted for months may need to be evaluated for Crohns.  Also, there are a few posts on here that do sound more like herpes (and both HSV 1 and 2 can cause herpes of the mouth or genitals - they are not specific to one area), and the older lady worried about toilet paper sounds like she might have had shingles which can occur anywhere including the genitals.  
it is so comforting to know that i am not alone.  I am 17 and have never had sex or sexual contact with anyone. i have been very stressed out lately with school work and just feeling fatigued all the time and getting headaches, which i never use to get, and my lymphnotes are swollen because i have a soar throat.  i felt pressure down in my vagina but i didnt think anything about it because i was getting off my period, the pressure lasted all night.  when i woke up the next morning i got a mirror and looked down and there were navy bumps down there on either side of my vagina.  i went to school and when i came home they were like soars, so i scheduled a doctors appointment.  The next day peeing became SOOOO PAINFUL.  i can deal with everything but peeing.  Of course like all of yall my doctor says it is herpes but i have never had sex or genital contact so it cant be.  The doctor said it could be from trauma.  (anything putting pressure down there). I have had it for 3 days....i was wondering how long did yalls ulcers last?  And what are ways to releive me peeing? it hurts soooo bad i cant even describe. i cry everytime i pee. Thankyou
okay so if anyone is reading this and peeing hurts so bad because of ulcers, try filling a bathtub up and peeing in it. It dilutes the pee a ton and does not hurt
My problem started in May of this year when I had my first outbreak.  It was bad, painful.  I went to my GYN and he thought it was Herpes.  I had labs done, he prescribed Valtrex and pain meds and sent me home.  After that episode I had three other episodes.  This last episode being the worst.  First off my std test resulots all came back negative.  Of which I was tested over and over for herpes, and all other std's.  This last time I developed an ulcer on my left labia, which went from a small pin head in size to the size of a nickel overnight.  By day three it had grown to take over approx. 75% of my labia.  My labia then started to turn black on the edge and the ulcer had started eating its way through my labia.  The pain is awful, especially when urinating.  My GYN is a wonderful doctor who has been baffeled by this whole experience but I must say he and I have learned alot over the course of these last three weeks.  He made me an appointment with an infectious disease doctor who didnt think it was an infection instead she insisted it was auto-immune deficiency disorder.  I have had every blood test that you can imagine.  I tested negtive for HIV, syphillis (syphilis), Loopus.  Within 5 days I was back at the GYN's office where he looked at the ulcer and we both decided it needed to be removed because the area of the ulcer was soft and gooey from where the tissue had actually died.  He tried to numb the area first and started cutting and then he went to give me another shot of numbing medicine and I about fell off of the table.  Needless to say I was in the Hospital the next day having surgery.  To my amazement I had actually four ulcerated areas, two were on my cervix and vaginal wall and another one at the opening of my vagina.  He cut them all off, including my left labia which was very devastating to me.  I now look ridiculous down there, but he assures me I can undergo reconstructive surgery once we get this under control.  I have not been sexually active for some time otherwise I am sure I would have realized that I had some inside of me too.  Bottom line is it has been 3 weeks from the time the last episode had started and I am scheduled to see a rhumetoid doctor, an opthomologist and a GyN doctor from Johns Hopkins hospital in the next couple of weeks to help me get on some type of treatment for these outbreaks.  It is a terrible thing and a very depressing time in my life.  My ulcers are all gone for now, only because they were surgically removed.  
I was recently sick with a mysterious kidney infection. The odd thing is i never had the urinary tract infection to cause it. I went to the doctor she put me on anitibiotics while she sent the cutlture for testing. Few days later results came back no infections but i was really sick, urinating out many white and red blood cells and fever and just terribly sick. Went to the ER in so much pain and they gave me pain meds told me to stay home from school and work (college freshman). While i started feeling better as i was using the bathroom i felt a little sensitive down there when i wiped. I peeked with a mirror and saw a canker sore looking thing that was kinda small. I got a little nervous but I had not  had sex in a while because i was on the anitbiotics and new it would interfere with my bc. so i started getting more sick again and went back to the doctor. they still did not know about the kindey infection so they tested for everything...strep, stds, blood tests, pap(thats when my doctor noticed the sore but ignored it because it didnt look like herpes or anything) and everything came back negative. I eventually got better but i still had the sore. I montiored its growth and it got bigger then started shrinkin back down. my doctor decided to take more samples and test me for herpes again...still nothing. I can def relate about the pain peeing. It is THE WORST! its like pain beyond the surface like it goes deep into my body and hurts so bad. Also when my doctor scrapped it to take more samples i almost punched her....it hurt bad! she said i had a herpes reaction to her touching it...not really sure how to take that but whatever.
I also wanted to say that before all this started when i fist went to the doctor about feeling bad she let me know that when i came in the last time about a month before the nurses gave me my third Gardasil shot but it was not time yet. It was too soon i was supposed to be coming for a physical but they mixed it up in her notes. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the ulcer but some of you mentioned it in earlier posts.
Anymore info about that would be great dealing with gardasil and being sick and the ulcer...no std, no nothing
Did you get a diagnosis?  My 13 year old daughter (who is naive, sweet, and has not sex. ) started running a fever on Wed.  Symptoms were cough, body aches, fever.  We assumed it was a flu bug.  She let me know yesterday that she could hardly walk and that she was having horrible pain while urinating.  I called the Dr. exchange and took her to the urgent care center.  While we were there she told me she thought she has a bruise or a sore.  I looked at it and it was horrible.  I had the nurse look and they examined her externally.  Of course the first question to her was has she been sexually active, or have a bad home life.  The answer to these is NO.  She was embarrassed as was I for her.  They diagnosed her with UTI, but did some smears on the ulcers.  Dr. prescribed antibiotics and to follow up with her regular Dr. this week.  I am so worried about what this could be.  She is really having horrible pain and can still hardly walk.  Is there anything that can be applied to ulcers?  Thanks for any feed back.
    Lidocaine really helps, although it has to be prescribed.  For urinating, I take a cup of tepid water and pour it over while I'm going and then hop in the shower.  It's the only thing that takes the edge off.
     I have also been to numerous doctors and have been treated for Behcet's Disease.  It starts the same, fever, body aches, tingling in the vulvar area which eventually leads to several ulcers/sores.
    The rhuematologist who has been treating me just recommended I see a G.I. doctor as my symptoms also mirror those of Crohn's Disease.  I have bloody/runny stools all the time, arthritis (I'm only 26), and ulcers.  
     This has been almost a year ordeal and I'm starting to feel like I'm crazy.  I don't know what to do anymore, but I hope this helps someone.
I have the same problem as everyone except mine just showed up and progressively got worse. I read an early post about using dermapost and guess what it helps alot when it comes to using the restroom. I sprayed it on my sores and it did sting slightly but it went away and twenty minutes later I went to the restroom and my pain was cut in half and then some. It wasn't completely gone but helped tremendously. You can get the stuff at almost any pharmacy.
regarding my last post its dermaplast sorry i had the wrong name down but it is wonderful
I'm so happy I foumd this forum!  This weekend I became very ill with a flu-like virus.  I thought it might be connected to the weird lesion in my inner labia I had been developing over the past two or three days beforehand.  When I went to the doctor for my sickness, I also had thrm check out my vagina, but since I've never had sex, they ruled out STDs and told me it must be a mechanical irritation from tight clothing and/or tampons.  I took their word for it but it isn't gegting better.  Anytime fluid gets into it it stings like crazy.  It looks just like a canker sore - has any one found a treatment for the vulvar apthous condition? I'm in so much pain.  And I'm still not 100% recovered from my illness - I'm worried that the ulcer and my illness are related!  I'm only 17 I just wish everything could be healthy again!
I developed 2 ulcerations with some pus-like fluid in the centers about 6 days ago. the previous day, my boyfriend and i had had sex and it kinda burned after so i just figured i had gotten a little raw from the friction, but when i checked the next day i found the sores and got worried. i went into the doctor 2 days later. he said it looked like some type of bacterial infection and he put me on an antibiotic. ive now been on the antibiotic for almost 4 days and i now have 12 ulcerations. they kinda look a little better but i cant tell if its from the medicine or if theyre just healing from time. i am freaking out that it is herpes and i made the doc take a culture and blood test just in case. i should have the results by tomorrow, but im really hoping the doc was right about it being bacterial. they arent very painful and they dont itch, just uncomfortable and slightly tender because there are so many of them.
I just had symptoms show up Monday! Went to the Dr. and he said it wasn't herpes, but an ulcer. Prescribed a cream that made it hurt worse than it already was. I decided to try my own treatments. Any of you may like to try the same thing. AZO pills are a little helpful for the pain while urinating, doesn't make it completely go away. When you urinate don't use toilet paper. I use pads soaked in witch hazel and pat the area clean and that has helped a lot. Also I soak in the tub, for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a day with salt water. I mix about 1/2 and 1/2 iodized salt and sea salt. I can't tell you the relief I have gotten from this and the ulcer is starting to heal up as well. May want to try these options if they return or if you are still having problems with an existing one. Hope I am some help for somebody. Glad I found this forum though. It helped me to realize that I wasn't alone in this.
After researching this issue for 3 years, I finally crossed this forum. My story is just like everyone else.  I've been attempting to find connections to what may be causing these ulcers.

I had 10 breakouts in 2008, all 10 were after a bout of mono, and were all associated with an illness and fever.  All were also associated with a yeast infection, usually following antibiotic use for the illness.

After the first 5 breakouts, and 5 seperate STD tests, I finally switched doctors who finally did a biopsy of the ulcers.  I've now had over 7 biopsys performed and sent to very well known labs around the country.  No one knows what it is.  Multiple specialists, no one knows.  They've tested me for every autoimmune disease in the book... all negative.  

I'm curious to know if any of you had any of the associations that I've had.  I noticed a common association was fever and illness that brought on the ulcers.  Has anyone had the breakouts associated with yeast infections, mono, birth control use?  I've been on YAZ for years.  I currently began taking a very high dose BC in hopes to help burst a large ovarian cyst, and just found my first ulceration break out in 2 years.  I'm curious if the fevers, mono, hormones or yeast infections could be associated with these breakouts for any of you?
For the pain......I get installs of elmeron into my bladder for UC, you may want to ask your Dr's for Lidocane Gel to insert it will be temp but any relief is good
My story is reassuringly (if you can call it that) similar to all of the stories on here.  I am just recovering from my 3rd outbreak of genital ulcers (I'm 32) and have my own hypothesis on common themes/links.  I would love to know if anyone agrees or has had similar experiences.
- Illness/fever/sore throat (seems v common)
- Using anti-inflamatory drugs (Ibroprofen in this last outbreak but previously anti-inflamatories for my back condition)
- Stress/rundown (seems v common)
- some kind of auto-immune disease - Crohns / Ankylosing spondilitis / bechets
- severe mouth ulcers
Does anyone have any views?  
Thanks for the peeing tips, very helpful indeed.  I fear i might give myself some other illness through trying not to drink anything so I don't have to pee!
I guess what we all need to know is a fail safe pain relief method that we can use as there doesn't seem to be anything that will stop these awful outbreaks.  
I am 50 years old now, but in my late teens and 20's I had started with vaginal and vulva ulcers. I have BEHCETS! There is not a definitive test for this...a biopsy will rule out other disease processes and show inflammation generally. (ELISA test)
As the years went on, they removed my cervix at 26, my uterus at 28, my ovarys at 36 and several other symptoms and sore throats, fevers and different things occurred. At 40 I got the same ulcers in my mouth and that is when I finally had a firm diagnosis of Behcets. My Behcets advanced to Neuro-Behcets quickly within 4 years.
Please do not take this lightly, as Behcets is more common than people realize and one does not need to be a Japanese male to have it. Medicine has advanced, in Boston there is a eye doctor that is very knowledgable: Dr. Stephen Foster and he would see one and check your eyes and explain the female symptoms, he would help you find the right treatment, In NewYork City is the only Behcets Center, Dr. Yusaf Yazici and he would help anyone of you. In London, there is a Dr. Kidd that is a Neuro-Behcets specialist. John Hopkins has a Dr. Helman, Mayo has Dr. Calami in Florida, University of Utah has a Specialist, University of Arizon a Dr. Lisse. You can log unto ABDA and look at the list of doctors or go to the Vasculitis Organization web site and they can refer you to someon in your area.
NORD just added Behcets as one of the rare diseases, ladies and men it is the beginning stages. Do not stop looking and it is associated with a virus that goes haywire and one does not know why.
Please do not stop looking for answers...I waited years for a answer. Just a helpful hint, Always brand female pads tend to trigger them more for some reason. Prednisone helps to clear them and so does a few other medicines. Rheumatolgists generally provide treatment as it is an auto immune or auto inflammatory disease.
my.***@****
Good luck as I know how many years I have had outbreaks and then they go away and come back.
I wish everyone the best. If you want to know more go to Amazon and there is a new book called Behcets Syndrome by Dr. Yazici and it is worth reading.
I just want to point out that Apthous ulcers look like ulcers. Flat and/or eroded (NOT RAISED) round lesion with a white or yellow center,surrounded by a brighter red ring. IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE HERPES!! Not typical herpes anyway...A good doctor should be able to tell the difference right away although testing for herpes doesn't hurt anyway.. Herpes are cluster-like RAISED lesions that have small vessicles which appear to coalesce together and make leak pus and be itchy  or tingly perhaps before they break out. It may or may not hurt. Apthous ulcers are VERY PAINFUL. Apthous ulcers in mouth take 7 to 10 days to heal...these vaginal ones, after what I am reading from people, seem to take a LONG time to heal.  This is pretty rare and I would be suprised if there isn't an underlying cause... such as medications like Birth control, pain relievers, too much STRESS, being run down, Chrohn's disease and perhaps (A BIG ONE) Celiac Disease. Studies show 1 in 100 people are ALLERGIC to gluten. Gluten allergy can be avoided by not eating it, arrests the Celiac Disease. All you with these vaginal lesions owe yourself a 21 day Gluten free diet to TRY IT and see if it doesn't help clear the lesions.Celiac disease has very few symptoms for some... and they are ODD symptoms at that.

Otherwise also check yourself for Behcet's syndrome as well.  This causes vaginal lesions too.

I have had so many of the same experiences you all describe, and also was tested for and found no STDs repeatedly.
Now I have just been told I have cirvical dysplasia, caused by a strain of HPV. I am told that they do not test for HPV during STD testing because they do not treat for it. This sounds insane.
I am told that some strains cause genital warts, which look nothing like herpes or ulcers, but the strains that may lead to dysplasia and cirvical cancer "have no outward symptoms". There are said to be 100 strains of HPV. I am wondering if they just don't know that some strains could cause this reaction. I also wonder if it could be passed to children during vaginal birth.
Hey
I am a 23 year old female, and I have the last few days come out in these awful bumps that feel like cuts on my labia and around the entrance to my vagina. they are so very sore I can't go near them, as for weeing, it's excrutiating. I have always been susceptible to getting thrush, and my doc has said it's a very severe attack of thrush but it feels soo different to thrush! Its more stingy, and so excruciating I cant walk. Also the lymph nodes in my groin area are incredibly tender and painful as well. I'm not sure if these are the ulcers that are mentioned here, but sounds very similar... I have a boyfriend but have not had sex for a month or 2 and I have been tested for STI's etc lots of times but never ever been positive. Just wondering if anyone has come up with any other ways to soothe? The problem with mine are that they itch too. I have been prescribed some cetomacrogol cream which is like an emollient which does help to soothe a small amount but not sure its really making much difference. Someone said to try antihistamines, ibuprofen, strong painkillers. Also got some oral tablets for thrush and told to take a large amount to flush out any possible candida infection? All very well but just want this pain and discomfort to end right now!!
I do have Behcets and vaginal ulcers and female ulcers are very painful.
They must do the right biopsy,,,also as years pass they change somewhat in appearance. So, there is not a definite way one ulcer should look due to variables, such as if one has children, surgery, your skin color all will make varations. We each are unique but the biopsies will read inflammation/and the lab terminology will be the same is what I think Avagirl 1 was saying and at times you will have paps coming back bad or showing something wrong?.
One needs to see a Doctor knowledgable in Bechets, Chrohns, Lupus and a few other auto-immune diseases to rule it out what is going on, They might think it is Behcets, but one has to meet all the criteria before they give someone a firm DX.
Oral pills are the treatement for them to go away.Look up Behcets or Behcets Syndrome under Vasculitis Foundation, ABDA or NORD and read on the medicines available.Plus, they have a list of specialists listed on their sites to call or e-mail.
Check out Joanne Z's blog on essential behcets. She has a real good book that is not real expensive that will tell one all about it.Plus she might have an e-mail address on there too.
I mentioned prior I started in my twenties and had the worst experiences with what I was told.
Just so you know, Always brand female pads tends to make them worse for about 80% of the women.
Pee thru an empty toilet roll paper if they hurt bad. Topical Lidocaine will help but it is an RX. There are not nerve endings up into the vagina walls, so the pain is from another location radiating up into there or on your cervix. They removed my cervix because I had them on there, that was wrong to do but they did not know and I did not know either. No computers back then in the eighties to get information. Trust me I have had it over 20 years and have seen so much and been to all the top Doctors so I have an idea of what is going on. I do not think everyone has Behcets but I know it is not right and it might be one of the other diseases and you have to find the information and right doctors. Fight for your own health it is important or you will end up like me with them on the brain.

There is a solution to this and do not give up. Just an FYI, I break out when I have dental work also. That is a sign it is Behcets. See an infectious disease doctor, one from the web-sites listed or a Vulva Specialist not just on OB/GYN.they do not teach much about it to them in med school, as they deliver babies and deal with STD's that is what they learn. One can be having eye problems and not know it but you must see someone who has treated Behcets or they might miss it, as that is what happened to me and I have scars in both eyeballs, but I had no symptoms other then sometimes my sight was blurry or I had a bad headache and it was my eyes,; I now have them on my brain stem from not getting treatment when I was youngerl
They will not start anyone on the strongest medicine for it, but then it is monotored so it does not progress and you do not have to live with them hurting or for so long. They can stop the progression and from you have surgerys you do not need.
You are important and  I hope you will find an answer, please take them time to at least look for one! Read about it online.
Good Luck!

Approximately a month after I gave birth to my daughter (by c-section) I started developing very painful lesions in my vaginal area. I used several medications and they all seemed to work for a period of time. Two weeks ago I developed very painful rapidly spreading ulcers, I went to the Dr and they done a pap smear and blood work and all STD tests were negative. My Dr gave me steroid cream and it has yet to help. I go Monday for a biopsy and am very nervous. My Dr has told me that genital ulcers are caused by something, you never have them for no reason. I'm not sure if any of you have done any research but there are several more severe causes of genital ulcers such as; Chron's, Lupus, Betchet's Disorder. There are several other's as well. I miss sleeping with my husband ;(. I wish you all the best and hope you find out what is causing your ulcers as well!
I'm so glad to have found this forum!  My daughter is 14 and just tonight came crying to me; embaressed and showed me the ulcers on her labia.  She's been complaning for about a week now with headaches and body aches.  The Flu is going around so we thought she might be catching that but other than that she didn't feel really bad.  She's a competitive cheerleader and practices 2-3 times a week and just had a competition this past weekend.  She was more tired than usual this past week.  After she finally showed me and we talked about it I told her we were going to have to call the doctor in the morning.  I'm going to call and make an appointment tomorrow with a gynecologist.  Don't know how she did practice today because it's so painful for her to walk and it kills her to urinate.  I feel so bad that I didn't notice anything wrong (other than the flu symptoms).  This of course will be her first gynecological visit and she's terrified. :(  She is not sexually active and it just terrifies her that someone has to look at her (and touch) her down there.  Thanks to the other posts on here with young girls I've been able to let her know she's not the only one and that it will be okay.
Your daughter is experiencing the exact symptoms that my 17 year old daughter experienced last year.  She had a huge ulcer on her labia that
popped up suddenly and it was ulcerated (oval shaped) with bright edges around it.  Severely painful and she couldn't urinate without crying.  I took her to the gynecologist and she was tested for STDs...but these were negative.  Lab results showed "inflammation."  This was the only one she has ever had.  I wondered if her tampons could have caused an allergy?
This was a puzzling, but temporary problem.  I pray it doesn't reoccur.
Oh my goodness, so many of you! I had them in my 20's without an answer either. That was 30 years ago...I was told everything. I tested negative BACK then for Behcet's but not now, remeber their is not a definite test for Behcets. (HLA51 and radographs, biopsies alls howed I had it) I met them criteria.
I am not saying you have Behcet's but I can give you ideas:
DO not use Always brand pads or tampons, many people have found it makes it worse.
Pee through an empty toilet paper roll or tube if you want to wash it with bleach water each time
See an infectious disease doctor or a VULVA Vasculitis Specialist, as many tests are NOT the right ONES! I went to Scripps, Mayo, John Hopkins and then the Behcet's center.So, I started in California and went to the east coast. I saw some of the best doctors in the USA and internationally.
MANY DOCTORS I WENT TO when I ws younger DID NOT DO THE BIOPSY CORRECTLY, this is very important. Also, the ulcers have different stages, a good doctor knows this.
There are many Vasculitis Diseases that have ulcers other than Behcets. Please read the Vasculitis web-site. (official one) They have medical experts in this arena.
There is a compounded RX used for oral ulcers that helps exterior female ulcers, when thickened.It is not called MAGIC though.
Get checked for Crohn's and Sjogren's (blood test and see a Specialist )
Do not give up, the one posting with the idea of sing the medicine Bactrim is what they use for Behcets or Vasculitis diseases. Also. Colchicine works well for some women. If that medicine worked that tells me one may have Behcets or a Vasculitis disease. (clinical DX)

Do not wait 30 years to find an answer! It hurts a lot and I have damage and some times it can make one not able to have children untreated.

Take Care and Good Luck!
Rosemona
I am 41 and just for no reason I started having these same symtoms (symptoms) and I thought it was just rough sex however it never would go away and now EVERYTIME i have intercourse no matter if it is healed or not they open back up..... I have refraned for over 14 days and think it is healed and then as soon as that happens it is an open sore... AND yes it is not like herpes it is like a MOUTH ulcer and it is freakin me out becasue it wont heal and sex makes  it unbearable and then OMG if you have to urinate after that it almost makes you pass out the pain is so bad... Its like they never truly heal and it is Precisley like when you chew on your inside lip and get a mouth ulcer or just get a mouth ulcer..... It is NO JOKE!!! What can I do please help cuz this IS CRAZYYY!
I am recently 15 and I get these things periodically for 5 days to (the longest) 2 weeks. I have been tested 4 times for herpes--all of them negative. The first time I got this I was 13 and I had it for a week in the summer. the doctor thought it was rubbing caused by riding a jetski with wet shorts on. when I got it next, almost a year later, the doctor thought it was from my sliding shorts (I play in goal for soccer) being too tight and unbreatheable. I am not sexually active and I did used to wear always brand pads. When the new Kotex pads came out i started using those. I got the ulcers a few more times and my dotor gave me a medicine (also prescribed that first time) to help but i found after a while it made it worse. The time I had it before this, they told me to take oatmeal baths, but that also irritates it. It always comes with a high fever and it usually comes with blackout spells. I can't see, hear, or feel and i usually fall. I can usually catch it before it happends and i sit down but when i don't, it's dreadful. This time, it is much worse looking and feels worse as well. Lidocain can't subdue the burn when I pee and I can't move well at all. if i move too much, it hurts so bad i scream. i'vee been in bed the last two days, peeing only once. All of your posts have been very very helpful to me and I will bring the information with me when I go to the doctor's in a little bit. Thank you very much. I'll post again on how my appointment goes.
I am so sorry to hear there are other young girls going through the same horrible thing we have been through.  I hope by now you have found some answers.  I found this thread very helpful to read a couple nights ago as we began going through our second experience with the ulcers.  This time was nothing like the first so I wanted to share what worked for us in hopes it will help someone else.  We have a very similar story.  My 11 year old daughter came home from school with a stomach bug.  The following night she woke up in pain in her vaginal area.  I convinced her to let me see what might be causing the pain and determine if we needed to see a doctor.  My poor baby, it was heartbreaking and scary.  We called the pediatrician first thing in the morning.  She had never seen anything like it.  She put her on Bactrim and told us to see a GYN Monday (this was a Saturday of course).  I called my GYN Sunday night and he arranged to see her first thing Monday.  He also had never seen anything like it in all his years of practice.  He put her on Acyclovir and Dicloxacill as well as Tylenol Codine for the amount of pain she was in.  My heart breaks hearing of your girls not being able to walk or sit and peeing was so painful, we had the same horrible experience.  (If you go through it again we found squatting in a tub full of water was the only answer for peeing).  He ran bloodwork for Herpes and Mono and took swabs, all negative.  The GYN recommended we see a Dermatologist.  That happened two days later on Wed.  What a blessing.  Her first instinct was Bechet's.  I'm realizing reading all these stories that we were very lucky to find someone so quickly who recognized what might be going on.  She gave us Biafine cream which is used on burn patients, and Domeboro soaks for the tub (used for poison ivy)...immediate difference!  For the first time in 6 nights she was able to sleep through the night and could sit again the next day.  I was amazed at how quickly these lesions developed and became so out of control and infected.  Once everything began healing and was under control she put her on Protopic cream.  Her bloodwork for Behcet's came back negative, but apparently that does not mean conclusively that she does not have it.  We survived all of that, took a deep breath and just hoped it was some wierd fluke.  And now here we are 6 weeks later again.  She came home Tues with a severe head cold, woke up Wed morning feeling sore in the vaginal area.  I immediately called the dermatologist who saw us Wed morning and gave us a prescription for Clobetasol cream +Protopic and Prednisone oral tablets.  By the time we got home from the doctor and the pharmacy there was already a lesion.  So scary how fast that happened!  I am VERY happy to say that the cream and prednisone went to work instantly, kept it from becoming any worse and by the next day cleared up.  Nothing at all like what we experienced the first time.  It does appear her immune system is off and for some reason all the sudden any virus she gets is triggering this horrible reaction.  If you have similar symptoms and nothing is working you may want to mention prednisone to your doctor.  It worked immediately for her.  I hope the best for you and your girls.  This is a very heartbreaking experience.
I said I'd message back after my doctor appointment...but they sent me to the hospital! they have given me some dilaudid (which is the best!). They think I have RNSRAGU (lipschutz). I had a catheter in so I can pee and that was difficult because of the swelling and also very painful. They cleaned me all up down there and it's looking a lot better than it did before we came. The drugs that they gave me to clean kicked in full strength after they were done and knocked me out for quite some time. They are going to do a biopsy on one of my many sores.

My doctor's assistant thinks that it is DIV. Someone pkease message back about this! My mom and I both have our doubts. DIV would mean that it stays with me in this condition forever (like the ffirst woman's post maybe?) but mine has gone away. Anyone with info please help!!
Thank you very much to everyone for all of your help.
Have had several surgeries by three doctors in the same area,which I believe has caused an ulcer in the vulva due to a recto-anal fistula repair and having a sinus tract exised. I have been told that the ulcer is due to being in a area where there is constant friction, but have not been told how to treat it. I have also been told that I am positive for MRSA (which causes slowed healing), but the doctors aren't treating this anymore either. The acid on my system makes the ulcer swell and hurt worse. I am also gluten intolerant (can't eat wheat, rye, or barley products).
If you really want to get rid of your Ulcer try using Alo Vera plant. You can find it in the supermarket. First you wash the leaf, then peel it and remove the white part that looks like a crystal and then you put a piece inside your vagina every night and it will cure the ulcer. I did it for two months and the ulcer went away. I know it sounds crazy.....but I was so scare that I was will lto try anything. If you don't believe do your research on Alo Vera and you will find how good this plant is.
I've been experiencing these outbreaks since I was twelve (now 21).  Like almost all of you I have been tested for everything and no one has been able to give me an answer.  Just three days ago I began an outbreak.  Starting with flu like symptoms and then the bumps came.  I began to make preparations for staying in bed for the next two weeks as I can not walk when I have these ulcers.  After reading this page I started to take the lysine.  I've taken about six capsules of 500 mg each for the past two days.  And I think thats what is working for me.  They're almost gone and I have no idea why.  My outbreaks are normally horrible and I have large amounts of scarring, this is my first use of LYSINE and I truly believe its what is working for me!  I really really hope this works for you too!  I know how bad the pain can me.  Get some LYSINE!
I have the same symptoms as all of you! I have these weird cuts on my vagina and they keep getting worse and worse and after I have sex it looks like someone cut the sides of my vagina! They cuts started directly across from each other and have been getting worse and worse. They started in august as these little hole looking cuts and I got tested for STDs and it came back negative but they said I had a yeast infection and the cuts went away after I used a yeast infection meds but recently the cuts have gotten bigger and have started to affect the skin on my vagina causing it to look like someone poured acid on it and cut up my hymen! The cuts look like ulcers and do not hurt to the touch but when I go pee its SO PAINFUL!! I thought I had herpes and have been obsessing over it and became depressed and gained weight because I was convinced I had herpes even tho the tests were negative and the ulcers look nothing like herpes or genital warts! I just found this website tonight after obsessing for almost a year about the cuts wondering if they were STDS or what and I have been freaking out. After reading many of the other posts I have the same symptoms but recently they have gotten worse and become painful! But after seeing this I realize this is most likely my problem. Right now I have swollen glands, in my family there are MANY people who have gluten allergies,(I also man have one, I wasn't eating gluten for almost a month but then the past 3 days I have eaten tacobell, bdubs, cookies and other junk!! If I would of know that eating gluten again would cause such problems I never would of! :(( !! Also I have had mono before and its possible its reactive, I am also lactose intolerant. My mom has colitis also. I also had been taking acidopholis on a regular basis but stopped when I went to college (sept) and they have been getting worse since. I just went to the store and bought some lysine and took two along with two acidopholis and ate organic probiotic yogurt. I will do this for the next few days and let everyone know how it goes! This has caused me so much stress and grief I really hope that this cures the ulcers! Good luck to everyone!
I have the same symptoms as all of you...
I'm from switzerland (mother tongue french, sorry for my bad english), i'm 27. My story: my dr gave me antibiotics because of an angina with streptoccucus. 3 days after i started the treatment my vulva started to hurt painfully. (I did not have sex since at least 10 days at this time). My dr told me it was mycosis, which often come because of the antibiotics. I never had mycosis so didn't know which pain it was like. He gave me some cream to stop it. But it was still awfully painful. I thought it couldn't be mycosis. So I went to my gynecologist; I was very afraid when he told me he never saw such thing and didn't know what it could be. He do not think there is a link between the antibiotics and the ulcers. He gave me some usual cream to help cicatrisation, and another one with cortisone. THAT HELP A LOT. Since 2 days I can sit, and walk... but peeing is like you all say awfully painful. Now I "open" my lips to pee and try it do not touch my ulcers, and it's better.
Aloe vera is a good idea (thanks kat0425); i'll try it too.
Since I'm a child I often have mouth ulcers, and at this time I have many... like 10 or something. I'm sure there's a link between those symptoms... as I read your posts I realize it could be behcet's disease... and hope it's not, because that seems to mean these vulvar ulcers will come back...or never disapear... my god, I can not imagine this; a nightmare every minute of the day.
Your posts sounds like there is no usual treatment; Do somebody try a treatment  with homeopathy for example?
Even it's painfull I'm sure I'll get better, try to think positive too!
Good luck and thanks for answer
I had body aches starting a week ago and probably a fever but never took my temperature. Two days ago it was really bad and I went to the doctor. I had a 101.7 fever and it hurt a little bit to urinate, so the doctor thought it might be a UTI. my urine was clean, but there was blood in it, so I had literally just started my period. That night I tried to use a tampon, but it surprisingly hurt. The area around my vagina felt swollen and a little bit irritated. I had just been on a plane 2 days before that for 8 hours, so I thought I was just irritated from being on a plane in jeggings for a long time. The next day, I was really tender around my vagina, in an almost painful way. But I have my period so I didn't think anything of it. Yesterday night I awoke to a sharp pain around my genitals. I went to the bathroom and discovered a large bump right outside my vagina. I originally though it was a cyst, and after informing my mother and calling our doctor, I was told to put a hot wash cloth on it as hot as I could stand. I have just however, noticed an ulcer like sore next to the lump and inside the vagina. It is EXTREMELY painful. The lump also is starting to get irritated.

I have an appointment for my mom's gyno on Monday morning, but I don't know how long I can take the pain. The chances of having an STD are very unlikely because I've never had sex and only received oral sex once about 2 months ago (the first Herpes outbreak usually manifest itself 3 days to 2 weeks later. I did my research). I know if I go to the ER, they will just test me for STDs and do nothing to help me. Plus I'm on my period so that's absolutely disgusting. and today is my heaviest day. Has this happened to anyone before when they got their period? This is so painful and so disgusting.
Thank goodness for this website! I've found some helpful theories as to what I have been experiencing.

Last week Monday and Tuesday my bf and I had sex 2 times, both painful due to lack of lubrication (I didn't stop it, but I should have, as I just KNEW something bad would happen as a result). Anyway, the area hurt for a few days and sure enough there was a canker sore visible. I had several in my mouth at this time as well.

(I get canker sores all the time in my mouth and a few years ago began to get them very infrequently vaginally. The first time I got a canker sore down there I was freaked out--was it herpes?? I went to the gyno who looked at it and simply said: "How many canker sores do you have in your mouth right now?" And sure enough I had like 5. She said that canker sores can happen down there and to watch my stress levels. She also tested me for herpes as a precaution and the test came back negative. This was 3 years ago.)

Since then, I've had other random issues down there--a cyst here or there, etc but nothing like what I experienced last week. After the painful sex and the appearance of a canker sore, I frankly ignored it and figured it would go away. BIG MISTAKE. Thursday I initially noticed the sore, Friday I saw 2 sores down on the insides of my vaginal walls near the anus and they had not only grown in size but in pain. By Saturday they were huge, red around the edges and like many of you mentioned, looked like someone had poured acid on me down there. Small pieces of the wall even looked like they were going to fall off (at which point I almost fainted from the shock of this.) I contemplated going to the ER at this point but figured a gyno would prob have the best diagnosis. Sunday comes and goes with even bigger ulcers and there were now about 3.

Long story short, the gyno exam was EXCRUCIATING! I can't imagine anything worse than that pain, especially when she inserted the speculum. The doctor seemed shocked herself and said she only see's ulcers this bad after someone's had surgery and the stiches opened due to infection. She then dropped the bomb--it was probably herpes. I was pretty much sure it wasn't. After the test 3 years ago I've had 1 partner and its my current bf. He does not have herpes and has been tested (and also, I trust him 100%). I was tested again last year for herpes after another canker sore and those results were also negative. I know herpes can be dormant but 2 tests years apart that are negative seem pretty definitive to me. Is it possible 2 blood tests can be wrong? I'm waiting to hear back on the results of this most recent test but the doc prescribed Valtrex as a precaution. It doesn't seem to be working that well. I'm also taking everything under the sun to be proactive-lysine, antibiotics, yeast infection medicine (yes, I have one now too) omega 3, a multivitamin, etc!

Anyway, like many of you said, I've looked at herpes lesions online to be sure and they don't look like what I am experiencing. I've looked all over to see what other options there could be and I've seen some listed above, so thanks. Its now less than a week since I saw the original canker and the ulcers seem to be healing slightly but very very slowly. I'm so worried that its never going to look the same down there, as the ulcers are so deep. The thought of permanent scaring and damage is very depressing. The only thing that has made this manageable is my discovery of the sitz bath. Before I was splashing cold water while peeing to take away the PURE AGONY that comes with urinating with ulcers--it didn't work that well. The sitz bath was amazing and took away 95% of the pain thank goodness!

I look forward to hearing updates from anyone else who is/has experienced the same thing so I can continue to learn about this problem.
I'm having somewhat similar problems, in the meantime my doctor recommended putting desitin on it, stuff for baby's diaper rash, it shouldn't cause more problems for anyone, you can put it on an open sore and since I used it my urine doesn't burn the sores anymore, hope that helps!
everyone needs to take the extra effort to heal/cure themselves.  Do lots of research on what to do.  Western Doctors are at time useless.  If you happen to stumble upon a good compassionate western Doctor that's wonderful, but in the mean time take your health into your own hands.  You have the power to HEAL/CURE yourself.  For every Dis-ease there is a cure.  Herbs were put here for a reason.  A great place to start would be to do a whole body  cleanse: parasite/worm, colon, kidney, liver, and clearing the metals out of your body.  Also, be very thoughtful of what foods and beverages you put into your body.  Do a search for "Hulda Clark"  also go to the website: www.dherbs.com  Also, remove any mercury fillings you have in your teeth and replace them with the ones that do not contain mercury.  Mercury at any level is toxic even though they say its safe
I too have all the same history of the posts I read........negative STD testing but reoccuring, painful, ulcers.......I just thought I would share how I treat mine until they resolve. I allow water to run over the ulcer area as many times a day as I can stand to sit on the edge of the tub to do so.......then I pat dry with a sterile piece of gauze (not to introduce infection into the open area) I use a blow dryer to dry the area.......it feels good and maybe helps kill off any skin bacteria in the area......then I wipe over it with a piece of gauze saturated in betadine and air dry. when all that is done I put a piece of gauze over the ulcer and fold it in a way that it stays in place. Yes it is quite a process and I hate the urge to pee during this time but it does seem to help with the pain for awhile and shorten the length of time until I heal vs not doing it. So, for anyone that is desperate..this is what has worked for me. FYI the betadine does burn at first but fanning, blowing, or the blow dryer help with that and it is just a short bit compared to the relief you can get from it.
Apthous ulcers in the mouth and the vagina may be indicative of Behcet's disease. If anyone experiences these lesions in both places they should consult a rheumatologist to determine if they may have Behcets. It's fairly rare in the United States but not in other parts of the world. It is a systemic vasculitis that can cause issues with other parts of your body so getting a diagnosis is important in follow up care and monitoring for other complications.
I, also have all the same symptoms, ulcers and cuts.  It started about 5 years ago.  It comes and goes. My husband and I have been married 32 years and neither one of us has ever slept with another. Let me tell you though,  that sex is nonexistent now.  It's just too painful. I live in Canada.  This problem seems to be worldwide, why is it not known to doctors?  I am a 15 year breast cancer survivor and recently was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.  So, it may be reIated to that also. I  will speak with my doctors (at the Cancer Treat,ent Centre, since I am there every six months) about this.  My family physician also sent me for std test, herpes, etc....all negative.  it could be Behcets????  I will let you all know what is said in January when I see my rheumatologist again.
Behcet's is a genetic specific disease.  You have to have genes from the Oriental Trading corridor.  I, too, was originally told Behcets.  But I just don't have the other symptoms.  Just small red circles on my vaginal outside wall that hurt like hell.  When they're inflamed, I cannot even pee.  I read once to save your empty toilet paper tubes.  Line up the tube around your urethra and pee.  It will help direct the urine AWAY from the blisters.  It's not full proof because the cardboard gets wet, but it helps.  Otherwise, I have to just about bite my lip in half trying not to scream.  
Looks like I'm not alone in this. Caught a cold 5 days ago and had way too many breadsticks at the Olive Garden the night before (have a mild wheat allergy). So it follows most people's suspicions that it's an auto-immune problem. Plus it happened just before strting my period too.
I've never had these ulcer canker sores before so I googled it and found this site and others describing exactly what I've got. Started as a sore lump 4 days ago and then solwly transformed into 2 sores opposite eachother. Only got painful yesterday afternoon. But what a pain.
Never have I feared going to the bathroom in my life as I do now. Such excrutiating pain that I damn near bought a catheter. Took the toilet tube idea and instead fashioned a plastic tube (cut a rectangle from the "doggie-bag" plastic container from a restaurant and wrapped it into a tight tube). Didn't feel a thing!!!
On a diet of yogurt and started taking acidophilus tablets. Going to get some lysine and see if that helps a bunch too.
I hope to never get these things ever again and hope they go away fast.
I think I have a similar issue. I am only 19 years old and I am having a flare up. The first time this happened I was only 15, had no sexual contact at all, and with a strange upper respiratory virus I had these black, painful sores on my vulva. I tested negative for all sorts of STDs. I had more than eight doctors all come in and look at my nether regions (which was horrifying), and most were confused. A vulvologist just suggested this was my body's way of reacting to infection and that it may happen again in the future.
I haven't had any problems for 4 years (almost to the day) and I am now getting them again along with some kind of upper respiratory infection. Does anyone else's sores bleed sometimes? Mine have bled both times. I find aquaphor helped mine back then, by the way. Also, is the coloring black or dark purple? I hate these things. I know this sounds terrible, but it is nice to know that other women are at least experiencing the same thing and that I am not some medical freak.
I had painful vaginal ulcers that seemed to recur when i was stressed. Went to rhumatologist and he thinks its autoimmune. I now take colcrys and prednisone when i feel a sore coming on. Works well so far. On a note- negative for all stds
Look up Bechets disease. Prednisone and cortisone cream is what is prescribed for flare ups of genital canker sores (aphthous ulcers) valtrex doesnt work cause its not caused by a virus. Find a doctor who will listen. 'Just a cut' is an important issue to be dealt with. Keep looking for a doctor willing to find a solution.
One thing I have found helpful is using alka seltzer in a squirt bottle instead of using toilet paper. You could also make licorice root tea and use it in a squirt bottle. Both of those things have healed cankersores in my mouth. Look up Behcets disease.
I found this forum searching my *** off for some answer to the same question you all seem to have.  I'm 48 (very young looking lol) years old and this seems more strange now that I've found others having the same symptoms/problem.  First let me tell you, about 20 years ago I found a small bump down there, didn't hurt, kinda flat, went to a dr who didn't seem concerned by it, so I chalked it up to some change in skin due to having alot of sex (not married long) and basically forgot about it.  Never had a problem with it hurting or changing in any way, until about 3 months ago.
I can't say I was sick with anything at the time, in fact I've hardly ever been sick, been to drs or dentists for anything and considered myself pretty healthy cept for those few pounds I could stand to lose.  I don't appear to be in menopause yet and I'm very regular with minimal alternating cramps/emotional symptoms each month.  I started feeling kindof irritated..and then felt the burning when i peed,  and noticed the bump had split and was raw so I started trying to figure out what was causing it.. thinking first it was sex (monogamous) and so refrained..then noticed rather quickly that another bump just like that one had come up beside it, then a couple of tiny hard bumps under the skin near by.  In this last 3 months I've noticed those tiny dots of blood from time to time and some days would seem they were even going away..only to feel raw with the itch/burn a day or two later.  I though yeast inf ?  I thought std (was my hubby cheating?)  I thought cancer .. and many things just like you .. finally getting the courage to make an appt and go try and find out.  The dr. I saw said its not warts, its not clamydia (chlamydia), and she didn't even think it to be herpes but we are getting that checked.. she looked under the microscope and said i have a bacterial infection and gave me some med that I just started.  I really feel its not just that and am waiting for my pap and blood tests to come back.  Are there other things  any of you may have noticed, like rashes or hives?  As I have been breaking out in different places at random moments like an allergic reaction, sometimes whelps, sometimes lines..small, large..uhhh.. and goes away in minutes..been doing that for probably 3 years now...strangely it almost completely stopped once this came about.  I take no meds whatsoever except for a diuretic (and wondering if i was allergic to it or it may be making my pee costic) .. and i have changed nothing in my diet or hygien routine. Do any of you retain fluid?  I do and during the time these appeared, it was horrible in my legs and ankles.. Dr was more concerned with that than she was with my 'sores'... she really did not seem to think it was any std, and hubby doesn't have anything on him or any symptom of anything.  Im really wondering about this immune system thing and what could cause all of us to have this similar THING. I will post again when I get my test results.. but I have a feeling I still won't know what it is.  Keep posting ladies, keep searching, and do take care of yourselves, being strong helps to fight off alot of the pollutants in this world, maybe we can beat this crap.  
Hiya, I'm sixteen years old and i've been suffering with outbreaks like this since i was about 11. It was absolutely awful having these breakouts that caused not only ulcerations down below but also lots of swelling. It caused pain in walking and absolute agony in peeing that i would have to either go in the bath or scream the whole house down. It always seemed to pop up when my body was already weakened by illness e.g. a cold- I even got it when i caught the chicken pox! The doctors never seemed completely sure of what i was suffering from. At one point they thought i had Herpes, next minute, Bechet's disease was mentioned. Finally, i was referred to a consultant dermatologist who told me that i was suffering from Complex Apthosis- this is ulceration of the Mouth and Vagina. There was never any information on Complex Apthosis when i was researching possible conditions. Apparently you grow out of it at about 20- 25 and the symptoms mentioned before sound very similar to my own. I really hope that this has found its way to someone also suffering from this condition as if i'd have had a diagnosis sooner, i would have been saved a lot of agony by using Doxycyclin which worked right away. Hope this helps someone x
I am so grateful I found this website!  So many of you are describing my exact same story!  I have never had sex and I'm an active, fit, healthy teenager.

I am 17 now, but this first happened to me when I was 15.  I was very sick one weekend with a fever and then I felt my vagina sort of dry when I would wipe.  After it got worse I checked down their with a mirror and noticed a huge white ulcer, it looked like a circle of white cream with a raw red ring around it.  It was about the size of a nickel.  I was so scared!  It took me several days to tell my mom since I just hoped it would go away.  My mom and dad took immediate action and rushed me to Urgent Care.  By now I had been hurting for almost a week.  No one in Urgent Care had any idea what it was, but finally one doctor gave me a shot and an anti biotic.  I was peeing in a bath tub for about 2 weeks before it went away, after growing larger than quarter size. Not a day has gone by that I haven't been grateful for being able to urinate properly on a toilet now.

Then, this past week my whole family got very sick with a fever and cough.  I was the last one to get sick, and one night it hurt to wipe.  I was like "Ugh no please no please no" the next morning I checked to find 3 little red dots on the inside lip of my private area, further down by the opening of the vagina.  Last time it had been higher up.  This time it is pretty far down.  We set an appointment at the pediatrician that day.  Right before we left I checked again and the little red dots had morphed into big bumps--like puple-ish gray bumps and bumpled together.  In only a matter of 2 or 3 hours!  By the time we were at the doctor she said she saw 5!  That was an hour later.  

By that night they had all formed into one big white ulcer, with a red ring around it.  We went back to urgent care and I got the same shot and anti biotic as I did when I was 15, but it hasn't helped yet.  I am soaking in salt baths several times a day.  Last time I could pee in bath tubs just fine.  This time I can't--it burns wayyy too much I start screaming or crying.  The pain is an unbearable burn.  

I just don't know what the heck to do anymore.  Hydrogen Peroxide seems to offer some relief when I hold it to my sore with a cotton ball.  Also, I have to take 3 advil every 3 hours to help the pain--which it does.  I can't wear panties and I have been wearing skirts--it hurts to walk so I'm pretty much on bed rest.  

This just makes me mad that so many doctors think it's herpes or act like something is majorly wrong or weird and that they have no idea what it is when SO many of us women are suffering from this.  We need to get to the bottom of this! It hurts!  
Please check my post..the last one on here dated Aug. 10 2012 and see if your symptoms are related to my disease Behcets. Because it is unknown by most Drs and rare in that many many have never seen it before...it is silk road disease..China and mid East disease but has crossed borders to US and Canada....and I've had it 10 yrs now and you're right..even at the hospital yesterday and NOBODY CARES..Even my husband of 43 yrs left me because of being disabled by this disease....please look at my post...lynn6189
hi there...I have an autoimmune disease...BEHCETS...very rare disease...1 in 10,000 Americans and 1 in 20,000 Canadians can get this illness it is so rare..more popular in the Mid-East and China therefore physicians in our countries are not familiar with it and cannot diagnose it..It took 2 yrs to diagnose and a Rheumologist is the Dr who will diagnose it...ulcers in the mouth, tongue, throat, lesions on the head raw red bumps, skin lesions in general on other parts of the body but mostly genital or mouth ulcers. I have had it 10 yrs but apparently it is in your system for 25 yrs before it rears its ugly head due to a trauma or stress..well recently I had a major stress and usually I just have small ulcers in the genital area...this time I have huge...9 ulcers on both sides of the labia...swollen inflammed and I can hardly sit or walk. Just spent 6 hrs in Emerg yesterday and they gave me an rx for prednisone even tho I was on it a month ago and it didn't work. I am hoping to see a rheumologist within a week that the hospital is setting up as I was only able to get an appt with one by my family Dr. for Jan 2013...ahhhhh the Canadian Medical System...broken..ya gotta love it...meanwhile Canadian bodies are breaking and dying everyday due to the system. I have to have a colonoscopy as they see another surgery coming (I've had 9 surgeries) but the waiting period is 1 year..Unbelievable...but please check out Behcets disease for mouth and genital ulcers..That will be your answer for these painful ulcers..and your Dr will not know anything about it...only a Rhumologist...
Relief for urination-
I have had vaginal aphthous ulcer for about a week now. Last time it happened was 10 years ago an I remember it being so painful, this time I have managed to avoid most of the pain. I am a hygienist so as soon as this one came on I started using Lidex Ointment (fluocinonide .05%) this is a prescription corticosteroid sometimes given for oral aphthous ulcers. I noticed that it did not hurt to pee. I was feeling so good I didn't reapply and it hurt so bad to pee I thought I was going to pass out. That's when I realized that the ointment acts a water repellent. As long as there is enough ointment on the ulcer is no pain. If you don't have a doctor to give you a prescription then try vasoline (petroleum jelly), neosporin may also help (they now make one with pain relief) apply a thin layer of ointment whenever there is discomfort. The ointment also keeps you from rubbing and eases pain throughout the day. Also the running shorts that have the underwear built in from Old Navy are so comfortable as soon I get home I change into a pair.
Anyway, ointment works for me and it is easy to take a small tube with me to the bathroom, I use q-tips to apply.
I thought if this could help anyone else it was worth posting.
Also, I went to see my gynecologist  and she took one look at me and told me she thought it looked like Bechets, she has only had one other case of vaginal ulcers and said that the cause of the other case was mononucleosis. She referred me to another gynecologist that has more experience with Bechets.
Have you ever heard of Pemphigus? It's an auto immune disease where you can have blisters on different parts of the body. I know someone who has it. Look it up, maybe that's what it is.
Very relieved to have found this website and to read all of the other comments knowing I am not the only one looking for answers to this horrible reoccurring condition.  At the age of about 19 I broke out in a bunch of lesions in my vaginal area.  They were raised and hurt like crazy.  I could barely walk or go to the bathroom.  Wearing pants was unbearable also.  I went to planned parenthood and was told it was herpes. Naturally I freaked out.  I went to two other gynecologists for other opinions.  One did a biopsy (from what I remember) and both came back negative for herpes.  One of them said it was an allergic reaction but he couldn't say from what and I forget what the other one said, but I was just happy that it wasn't an STD.  Fast forward 22 years and at the age of 41 while traveling for work I had some vaginal discomfort and after checking in the mirror I noticed I had what looked like a white head pimple on the inner part of my vaginal lip. It was extremely painful to pee. I checked on the sore 8 hours later and saw that it had grown to about the size of a pencil eraser and was pure white, like it had a pus covering over it.  The next afternoon I had checked on it again and it had turned into what looked like a canker sore and was about the same size. A day later it was gone.  This was 2 years ago and in the past 2 years I have experienced about 8 of these episodes and they are all basically the same.  I start to feel an itch or discomfort in my vaginal area, I check the area, it starts out as small white head looking pimples (most times I have one of them but have had 3 at the most) they grow in size to about the size of pencil erasers, they turn white at first, then lose the white color and look raw and exactly like mouth ulcers (which I have suffered from my whole life) and then go away usually they last from 3 to 7 days.  It is very frustrating that the 3 gynecologists I've seen said they have no idea what it is.  Unfortunately by the time I get an appointment the lesion has disappeared but I do have scarring at the site.  I currently have another breakout and this is the first time that they have turned red raw and are bleeding slightly.  I have used peroxide but I think it only makes it feel temporarily better but makes them worse in the long run.  I'm currently taking lysine for this latest bout as they seem to be lasting longer than usual.  I have been under a tremendous amount of stress in the last two years and have previously taken YAZ.  Actually YAZ was prescribed for me by my gyno by mistake and after having heart palpitations while on it, I stopped using it and it was about the time I stopped using it that the outbreaks started.  Not sure if it's related or not.  I just started a new job and can't take the time to see a doctor right now, but I am worried after reading some of the above posts that the lesions could get bigger or I could lose some of my skin.  One other side note and I'm not sure if it's relevant, but as a teenager I had to give a urine sample when I was having abdominal pain and the ER doctor told me that I had an unusually high amount of bacteria in my urine, but didn't say it was a concern or anything.  Not sure if I could have a personal problem with bacteria.  Although it is a scary situation and very painful, I am just grateful to know that I am not the only one suffering with this and am hopeful that more doctors will get experience with it so we can all get a proper diagnosis.  I am going to take a lot of the info I read on here and look into treatments and doctors for diagnosis.
Thanks BamaMom25. I had a reoccurrence with fever and flu symptoms and then the grey filled sores started. I used witch hazel after I used the toilet and just dabbed and rubbed as much of it in to the ulcers as I could. It stings a little at first but it provides a lot of relief. I've noticed that it takes the "gray" out of the ulcers because of it's drying properties. This really helps!
Hi scared to death,   l'am 57 and have been suffering for years on and off, my vagina was either that itchy that no matter what l used l could not stop the itch and it was so intense at times l would just sit in the bed crying in agony and would scratch myself raw or would have multiple ulcers or both. At one stage the ulcers (9 in total )were so bad l was hospitalized as l couldn't walk, sit or go to the toilet.  Over the years l went to a multitude of doctors and Gyno's, none helped me at all, one doctor even me told to just keep smothering Vaseline on my vag and one Gyno treated me like a complete idiot and told me that if l don't use soaps, deodorant and wear cotton underwear that it will all go away in it's own good time and won't come back again sure and pigs can fly. I was in so much pain that l would stand in the shower with the water running on me so that l could pee and even then l was in so much pain l would virtually be screaming in agony with the pain.  So eventually l did my own research on my problem via the Internet and guess what l found out my body can't tolerate SUGAR !!!!! this is how your body reacts to too much sugar in your system, it causes your urine to be too acidic and causes you to either itch down there or break out in ulcers but everything that we eat from the supermarket contains sugar it's even your milk and bread,  l hope the idiot that came up with the idea of adding sugar to everything has to live the rest of his life with a huge ulcer on the end of of his ****...payback girls....Now this is what you do go to the chemist and buy yourself a couple of tubes of xyoocaine jelly  (pure heaven in a tube)  always keep extra on hand in case you need from time to time.  lt is one of the strongest anaesthetic ointments on the markets and available without a script and works brilliantly takes about 1-2 minutes to deaden the itch or the pain, make sure that you apply a liberal amount to your vagina when you need to pee and wait a couple of minutes if there is still a little stinging pat dry and apply a little more, l found it 100% totally effective in controlling the pain. Now step 2 when purchasing food from the supermarket....  READ THE AMOUNT OF SUGAR that this particular food contains, even bread and milk contain high levels of sugar, l found that soy regular milk from the cold section contains very little sugar and actually tastes like real milk (l'am really fussy with milk) and soy ice cream is the same very low in sugar and is really nice really tasting and  creamy, so just check the sugar level with everything thing that you ea.t lf you are like me and have a sweet tooth you can still enjoy some of your favourite foods, it just may mean that you will have shop around to find what you like.   FAT IS NOT THE KILLER.... SUGAR IS.... IT'S A POISON TO YOUR BODY and can cause women the most excruciating pain  ...and as an extra bonus l went down 2 dress sizes in two and a half weeks and my energy level has risen as well.... so there is light at the end of the tunnel and since keeping to this diet l have had no more problems  .Also girls if you have recurring problems with thrush, there is an holistic natural cure for that too, just contact me at ***@**** and l will forward it on to you, it works so well that my GP has asked me for a copy of it. l have also suffered with chronic thrush all my life and since using this method have never had a problem since....so good bye, good luck and good health............  :0)  
Hi,   l'am 57 and have been suffering for years on and off, my vagina was either that itchy that no matter what l used l could not stop the itch and it was so intense at times l would just sit in the bed crying in agony and would scratch myself raw or would have multiple ulcers or both. At one stage the ulcers (9 in total )were so bad l was hospitalized as l couldn't walk, sit or go to the toilet.  Over the years l went to a multitude of doctors and Gyno's, none helped me at all, one doctor even me told to just keep smothering Vaseline on my vag and one Gyno treated me like a complete idiot and told me that if l don't use soaps, deodorant and wear cotton underwear that it will all go away in it's own good time and won't come back again sure and pigs can fly. I was in so much pain that l would stand in the shower with the water running on me so that l could pee and even then l was in so much pain l would virtually be screaming in agony with the pain.  So eventually l did my own research on my problem via the Internet and guess what l found out my body can't tolerate SUGAR !!!!! this is how your body reacts to too much sugar in your system, it causes your urine to be too acidic and causes you to either itch down there or break out in ulcers but everything that we eat from the supermarket contains sugar it's even your milk and bread,  l hope the idiot that came up with the idea of adding sugar to everything has to live the rest of his life with a huge ulcer on the end of of his ****...payback girls....Now this is what you do go to the chemist and buy yourself a couple of tubes of xyoocaine jelly  (pure heaven in a tube)  always keep extra on hand in case you need from time to time.  lt is one of the strongest anaesthetic ointments on the markets and available without a script and works brilliantly takes about 1-2 minutes to deaden the itch or the pain, make sure that you apply a liberal amount to your vagina when you need to pee and wait a couple of minutes if there is still a little stinging pat dry and apply a little more, l found it 100% totally effective in controlling the pain. Now step 2 when purchasing food from the supermarket....  READ THE AMOUNT OF SUGAR that this particular food contains, even bread and milk contain high levels of sugar, l found that soy regular milk from the cold section contains very little sugar and actually tastes like real milk (l'am really fussy with milk) and soy ice cream is the same very low in sugar and is really nice really tasting and  creamy, so just check the sugar level with everything thing that you ea.t lf you are like me and have a sweet tooth you can still enjoy some of your favourite foods, it just may mean that you will have shop around to find what you like.   FAT IS NOT THE KILLER.... SUGAR IS.... IT'S A POISON TO YOUR BODY and can cause women the most excruciating pain  ...and as an extra bonus l went down 2 dress sizes in two and a half weeks and my energy level has risen as well.... so there is light at the end of the tunnel and since keeping to this diet l have had no more problems  .Also girls if you have recurring problems with thrush, there is an holistic natural cure for that too, just contact me at ***@**** and l will forward it on to you, it works so well that my GP has asked me for a copy of it. l have also suffered with chronic thrush all my life and since using this method have never had a problem since....so good bye, good luck and good health............  :0)
If it is an aphthous ulcer then it has to be treated with steroids; topical for minor such as triamcinolne or oral pills like cortisone for major ulcers.
I developed these ulcers (the gyn likes to call them lesions) on a Mlonday out of the blue. I was given Valtrex is case it was herpes as I know it is not. After researchingI discovered aphthous ulcers & started using triamcinolone ointment and the next day they were healing nicely. Then a few days later being today I wake up with excruitiating joints pains; could not move my wrists, my rt ankle, lt shoulder pain, fingers all ached and rt wrist swollen. Orthopedic MD is saying possible gluten intolerance could be causing it.
Using lidocaine in order to tolerate sex at this point is only going to complicate your issue. I would wait until you heal first.
I hope this is helpful to you.
im only 13.. 13! and i have all the symtoms (symptoms) that all you have described. i have also been sick for the past few days with terrible stomache pains but not normal period pains or anything, they are up higher. it hurts so bad and i woke up this morning and went to the toilet as usual, and as i wiped i realised my right labia minora was swollen, so i got the mirror and had a look. i was horrified, i had a massive ulcer down there. (i also have gotten many, many ulcers in my mouth since i was about 6.) i haven't done anything sexual with a guy at all, remember im thirteen haha, so im really scared and i dont want to say anything to my mum because she with probably think it's an STD.. someone help :(
Best case study to read.  Explains my symptoms to a tee and very informative on treatment.

http://www.zsd.si/ACTA/PUBLIC_HTML/acta-apa-07-4/7.pdf
Have any of you used tampons before this happened? I have ulcers too and it's painful and never have these before. It started after I used a tampon and my vagina got dry and I took the tampon out and it started getting very sore and itching like crazy, so I think I scratched it too much plus the use of the tampon irritated it. I didn't like tampons to begin with now I am never using them again. I've been reading about it online and read that tampons can cause these ulcers. Something with the rayon and the fibers irritate the skin and causes dryness. It also said that it will clear up on its own and to stop using tampons or it may recur. I'm hoping it goes away soon. Same for all you ladies as well.
I will be 70 in a few weeks. I too have gotten these small hard very sore bumps around my vagina area and even one up the side of the crack outside my rectum. Before, the bumps came out, it was very itching in the area. More at night during sleep. Then when I had to urinate, it was a terible burnign feeling. Everytime I used the bathroom, I had to wash with Ivory soap and water, than compresses with hot water to get relief. I went to see a Dr. she immeiately took a culture to check for herpes.  I have to go back in a week for results. She prescribed amoxicillian for me which I'm on every 8 hrs. This is the 2nd day. Still no change and yes my area around the outside of my vagina is swollen too.  She told me to use Vitamin A &D cream on the area. I've also used Triple anti-biotic cream..   Last year I was diagnosed with MRSA from a bad mosquito bite on my arm. I was in the garden and got bit. I began scratching it with the garden soil on my hands. It got infected.. I waiting too long to go to DR. And they had to lance it. The pain was unbearable.  I don't know if my MRSA has anything to do with this too.
Any suggestions?
I am taking Sepia and it seems to be helping.  The little "blister" is much smaller and doesn't itch as much.  I also make sure I take my Probiotics and Enzymes.  Some suggest using plain yogurt down there to ease the pain... but I use white vinegar diluted with water - it stings a little but stops the itch.  Then I use a beeswax based lotion/cream I bought that contains jojoba oil.  It helps for several hours and I can pee without pain most of the time.
So i had similar symptoms, fever, swollen glands then an itching burning sensation on my vagina, when i looking with a mirror i saw 3 puss filled ulcers, about the size of 5 pences, one on the left and two on the right. the doctor said herpes, AND he said i had tonsilitis. he put me on antibiotics for the tonsilitis and Aciclovir for the herpes. after two days the puss went from my tonsils but i was in excruciating pain from the vaginal ulcers! i went to the sexual health clinic and when they looking the two ulcers on the right had formed one large one! that doctor also said herpes, she took swabs and blood tests for every kind of STI, i went back a week later but had tested negative for EVERYTHING! this doctors examined me she said she didn't even think it LOOKED like herpes, she brought in an ex-dermatologist and he said it could be something called behcet's diease! i couldn't get an appointment with the hospital dermatologist for 3 weeks so i am as yet undiagnosed! at this point i've had these ulcers for 3 weeks and they are starting to clear.

BUT here are a few tips at home remedies i've found very useful!

to avoid pain during urination pull the labia apart, possibly covering the ulcers gently with your fingers, you may get urine on your hands but it's a hell of a lot better that experiencing that pain that makes you wana throw up!

after taking a shower and gently rinsing the area, i dilute half a tea spoon of salt with warm water and dab the ulcers with the solution using a cotton pad, don't worry, it doesn't hurt! then dry it thoroughly with a clean cotton pad.

also wetting a cotton pad and dipping it in baking soda then applying this to the ulcers seems to reduce the puss, it can hurt but not a lot! then pain diminishes rapidly, leave this for a while then dry the ulcers with a clean cotton pad.

It's very frustrating to have no diagnosis and no treatment. i am also seeing my boyfriend this weekend after a month apart...i really don't wana have to explain this situation as we haven't been together that long. i'm going to try having sex and seeing if it is painful :(

good luck everyone, love x x x
Is there anyone who is had surgery to have the vaginal ulcer removed or had it cauterized that could share their results?
Just a thought - has anyone tried taking L-Lysine to heal the ulcer?  It works on Herpes Zoster and Herpes Simplex.  Might work on these ulcers as well...
A related discussion, Same problem. Undiagnosed was started.
hi ladies,
I have had the same problem for more than a year now. First outbreak was extremely painful. Since then, only itching with ugly ulcers. Comes at regular intervals and then disappears. Tested for herpes 4 times in many different ways. Tested for eveyr other STD. Only have sex w/my husband, but that is very infrequent now thanks to this! It tends to break out right after sex. I had a biopsy and they said it was an aptrophus (SP) ulcer, like a mouth ulcer? But mouth ulcers don't itch and they don't reappear in the same place every couple of weeks. Nothing seems to help, fungal or steroid creams is what they've tried. Any insight is appreciated.
I'm 16 and literally freaking out. I have been sexually active and my first though was herpes. I checked with my previous partners I had been intimate with and not one of them have an std. I read that the first outbreak of herpes could be accompanied by flu like symptoms and I have been sick so I of course flipped out. reading all of these stories have reassured me beyond belief. I only have one sore which is gray in color and slightly puss filled i have been placing toilet paper between the sore and the rest of the are down below to prevent spreading. I'm going to the OBGYN tomorrow for the first time and am markedly terrified I'm sure I will get an STD test and I am praying for negative results. Thank you all I am bringing this information with me. Wish me luck.
I know you want something or someone to blame, but it isn't Giardisil and it isn't your doctor's fault.  Becet's and Lipshcutz disease existed long before the vaccine, as did crohn's disease, std's and apthous ulcers. Pathos ulcers are not an STD, and they occur under stress and sometimes certain foods trigger them (acidic, tomato, beer) I've known people with both Becets and crohn's Vaccines are supposed to trigger your immune system so that if you are exposed to the live virus your body can respond. Eat well, sleep 8 hours, don't party or burn the candle at both ends.  Any time you or your immune system is stressed these things can happen.  Also, herpes tests only works well if the blister wasn't already broken.  The swab needs to break it.  Last, there is a blood test for herpes one and two.  They stay positive when you don't have symptoms.  But, most people have been exposed to herpes one since childhood, even if they never got symptoms.  Many people don't have visible signs of infection.  It lives (rests) in you forever, can not be cured (the medicine just shortens the outbreak or lessens the symptoms).  It's just a big bummer you have to deal with and live a very healthy lifestyle.  Don't be another sue-happy person.  You'd be WAY more upset if she got cancer because she didn't get vaccinated.  
Related citations in PubMed
Ulcus vulvae acutum in a 13-year-old girl after influenza A infection.
[Skinmed. 2008]
Review Acute genital ulcers in nonsexually active young girls: case series, review of the literature, and evaluation and management recommendations.
[Pediatr Dermatol. 2012]
Lipschütz ulcer (ulcus vulvae acutum): a rare cause of genital lesion.
[An Bras Dermatol. 2012]
Ulcus vulvae acutum.
[Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Panonica Adriat. 20...]
Review Diagnosis and management of vulvar ulcers.
"Aphthous vulvar ulcers are painful ulcerations on the genital mucosa frequently accompanied by systemic symptoms. They are most commonly reported in young women and adolescents without a history of sexual contact. Diagnosis is made by exclusion of more common causes, and treatment for this self-limited condition is mainly symptomatic."  
These are Lishcutz aka 'vulvae acutum' = vulvar ulcers

Typically, if it isn't syphilis or chancre, or herpes, it is exposure to another virus and your immune system is weakened… whether Epstein-Barr , cytomegalovirus, mononucleosis, influenza, or the common cold.  
Soft Chancre is caused by a bacteria, (hard)chancre is in syphilis.

The more worrisome diagnosis are the auto-immune problems, like crohn's, or Becet's , Celiac…
This article explains it, but can't cure it. you can find it on Pubmed

Dermatol Ther. 2010 Sep-Oct;23(5):533-40. doi: 10.1111/j.1529-8019.2010.01356.x.

"Lipschutz ulcers: evaluation and management of acute genital ulcers in women."
Huppert JS.
oops, misspelled "Behçet's disease".
CANNOT BEGIN TO EXPRESS HOW RELIEVED I AM TO FIND THIS FORUM! I too, have the same story as many of you on here as far as having an extremely painful vaginal ulcer and having doctors assume it's an STD, except also admitting they've not seen anything like it?! I have also had oral ulcers since I was a child but never cold-sores (blisters on outside of mouth).

My current situation started with fatigue and very mild aches (which I thought to be due to sleep deprivation, allergies, and PMS). That was last Sunday April 6th, by Monday I had a fever and slightly swollen lymph nodes...I was now becoming concerned. I had also noticed some vaginal irritation which concerned me more, but I assumed was related to the fact that I was about to start my period. Tuesday irritation worsened, Wednesday I felt pain and got a mirror out to examine myself only to be horrified at the sight of a quarter sized, white/yellowish colored ulcer with a a dark reddish purple rim on accompanied by swelling on the inner left side of my labia.
Nervous and in tears, I went to the ER. Doc poked and prodded (which was excruciatingly painful), told me he thought it was not herpes but ran a test for it anyways. Prescribed me some pain meds.
Friday I went to a Planned Parenthood because it's affordable and I have no insurance, also thinking I could get to the bottom of this, had two diff docs look at me, both admitted they had never seen anything like it but tested for Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and Chlamydia. Panicked and wanting immediate answers on a Friday night I went to another ER. The lady who examined me is convinced it's herpes although she has she has never seen a "break out" this large with only one sore. She prescribed me 400mg Acylcovir 3Xday.
Although I don't believe it truly matches descriptions of STD's I am still anxiously waiting on test results! =[
I will update when I find out!
I am going to try and get and appt with a gynecologist asap on Monday to hopefully biopsy and figure out exactly what is going on.
*concerned and nervous*
   Sepia from the health food store.  Used for all kinds of female problems including vaginal warts and ulcers.  -  5 tiny pills twice a day for a week - then once a day for another two weeks.  Then use only as needed.
   Sounds good to me... I need some, too.
I too had a sore inside and it burned really bad and itchy like crazy but after a lot of creams and diff meds my doctor prescribed me amoxicillin and within a week the soreness and all its burning and itching went away completely  not saying this will cure all you woman with the same issues but it worked I now am pain free at last which I never thought would happen seeing as it was a horrible pain I couldn't sit stand walk or wear clothes,i too have done the ACV the sitz baths the creams the baby power and nothing seemed to work till I was on amoxicilian
    Just finished a course of amoxicillin and I still have the problem.   Guess it didn't work for me.  Am still taking Sepia in hopes it will work.    - Gyno took two off - hurt like crazy as she didn't numb me or anything - just "clipped" them off.  I bled some and had to use a pad.   :(
Hey everyone,

This forum has helped me feel immensely better. I have literally been driving myself nuts over the past 6 months, with the idea that my negative herpes test was somehow wrong.

In early November, I came down with what seemed like the flu. I just felt super, super sick for like 2 or 3 days. I had chills, aches, headache, and I even threw up from drinking two nights in a row -- which never happens. My throat felt somewhat sore, but I wasn't sure if it was sore or if this was a result of throwing up.  Anyways, a few days later I noticed a weird twinge of pain when I made a certain movement. Didn't think too much of it. Later that night, I started feeling around out of curiousity. That's when I discovered my biggest nightmare. I broke down in tears and assumed the worst.

I had my roommates look, and they each said it looked literally nothing like herpes. I would say this was the size of a nickel or a quarter. It was also very round. Also, it was located on my right labia majora. The Labia was also SUPER swollen. I realized there was also one other ulcer located in the vaginal opening.

It looked exactly like you all described -- red ring with a grayish/yellowish middle.

However, I still was not convinced that it wasnt herpes.  The worst of if all is that I DID have unprotected sex 10 days earlier. Before that happened, my partner had assured me he was clean and that shouldn't be a worry for me (isn't that what they all say). Anyways, I was a wreck. I went home and balled, balled, balled. I kept coming to the conclusion that it had to be herpes. I went to the doctor and she said it was atypical looking for herpes, but that since it hurt, it was unlikely to be syphilis, and that chancroid was very uncommon -- so that was highly unlikely. So she assumed herpes. Well, I was tested for herpes, hiv, and hepatitis a,b, and c. I waited in agony all week for my results. The doc in the meantime gave me a prescription for acloclyvir (however it's spelled), and said if it started getting better that that was probably it. I didn't notice anything getting better. Things seemed to just be getting worse. Peeing was excruciating. I learned that leaning really far forward on the toilet helped with the pain.

The results all came back negative.  I was literally head over heals happy. ecstatic. cry happy. However, I've ended up at the point where I've convinced myself the test was wrong. I'm super, super paranoid now ever since. Any little bit of pain or twinge I feel down there, I assume the worst

So here I am, 6 months later. Still wondering what the heck happened.

May I also mention, I had mono as a child. Then, my freshman year in college, I was given amoxycillin as a result of an upper respiratory infection. I started breaking out in a rash all up and down my arms, and it did not itch. It was just slightly, slightly sore to the touch. This apparently is a good sign that you have an active infection of mono in your body. I had no other mono symptoms that I had noticed though, but they say the 2nd time it is activated the symptoms are often much, much milder.

Somehow I have hoped that maybe the ulcer was a result of another mono flare up in my body. That possibly sex reactivated the Epstein Barr virus.

Also to mention, I get yeast infections often. Not sure if they're chronic or what. So not sure if this could be auto-immune.

Anyways, I found a white area in my vagina that I first thought was a lesion. I went to the doc and she said she wasn't concerned with this being any type of lesion. Looked more like shallow skin. She referred me to the gyno, go the the gyno and told her about my experience. What's her first inkling to say 'yeah, well then you probably have herpes'  with a little smirk on her face. I was pretty pissed. Itsnot a light subject. Anyways, I showed her the white area and she said it wasn't a lesion or anything and more like what looked like a scar. I think it may be a scar from the precious ulcer. Anyways, she decided now there was no point in testing for herpes since there was no active outbreak and you cannot spot test with blood tests, so she instead decided to test me for syphilis, and retest me for hiv, hep a b and c. All tests came back negative. A few weeks earlier I went to a walk in clinic as a result of weird vaginal twinges of pain and what seemed pelvic pain. I got checked for UTI and then I asked if I could also be checked for stds. I had just gone off birth control a few weeks earlier and the doc guessed that maybe this was causing my weird vaginal pains. So idk.

With my pee I got tested for Chlamydia and gonhorrea. Came back negative. I also had rash? that came a few days after shaving and after my period ended. It just looked like very small bumps, almost flesh colored. It did not itch. I wasnt sure if it was just razor burn or something like that... So I don't know what that was -- but it didn't help make me feel any better.  

Anyways, that's the gist of my story. My mind is still not at ease, but this forum did help me to feel a lot better.

Any thoughts? Sorry that this was so long. Hope everything starts improving for all of you!
Hey! Read the above if you can! Thanks!  I know you're a recent poster, so I thought maybe you would be interested.
Any results? Hope you're feeling bettee
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all feeling better. This post has helped me so much also..and I'm so glad i found it. I am experiencing the same thing.
I had unprotected sex with my regular partner, and it hurt whilst it was happening but not enough for us to stop, and then do it again. The next day I was bleeding (has NEVER happened, not even my first time) and then I was spotting for a few days after that. I thought it could have been a tear as i was a little tender for a few days, so I just brushed it off thinking it would heal itself.
About 4 days after I was in EXCRUCIATING pain. I could hardly walk, couldn't sit down, couldn't move, I just laid in bed and took pain killers. It hurt to pee, and the only way I could relieve myself was sitting in a hot bath. My partner said he has been tested recently and was clean, as had I; so I ruled out STD's. But upon examining myself after the pain got progressively bad I saw what looked like some ulcers on the inside of my labia. I also started experiencing a heavy discharge, which resembled pus. At this time the pain was unbearable, and I was in so much discomfort so I went to the ER. They examined me and the pain was excruciating, I was crying and screaming in pain in the ER. They diagnosed me with an unspecified STD, and basically told me it was herpes. I was given azethromycin, ceftrixone (needle) and a script for antivirals (acyclovir). Naturally I'm freaked out and really upset about this, and even more so that it's been three days and my symptoms do not seem to be relieving..I'm still in a lot of pain and discomfort, and I almost cry every time I go to the bathroom.
Before I had sex and this happened, i did have what appeared to be the start of a flu, but admittedly I do get them quite often. I also had a bout of really bad thrush about two months ago that persisted, and was also on metronidazole for 'bacterial vaginosis'.
I'm still waiting to get results back from my STD tests taken at the hospital, but if my partner is being honest I'm expecting them to come back negative also. My urine test at the hospital came back negative straight away for pregnancy and UTI.
I've never had this before and the thought of ever having sex again literally sends shivers up my spine. My partner said that he hasn't noticed any symptoms, but I've advised him that it's important that he gets checked as soon as possible.
This is now day 9 into the pain, which seems to be getting worse even after taking all of the medication. I'm really worried, and I really feel like the people i've told (even medical professionals), and my partner are not taking me seriously as to how much pain and discomfort I'm in. It's really upsetting.
Has anyone resolved their problems, or got any ideas at other pain relief? I've been taking ibuprofen and paracetemol together, but it doesn't seem to be helping.
Good luck.