vein problems
I notice I have a enlarged lump behind my knee. My doctor doesn't seem to know how to diagnose it.
I have difficulty standing long in the last month or so due to this and ALSO my veins behind the knee are
enlarged at the times the lump is larger causing a lot of pain on the whole back of leg. I don't know who to see= a
orthopedist or a venous specialist or both?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Well, the lump you have could be a cyst and cysts can be painful. If the cyst like swelling is more towards the back of the knee, then it can be a Baker’s cyst or a popliteal cyst. The other possible cysts are sebaceous cysts which occur due to blocked sebaceous glands. These can occur anywhere in the body, including around the knee joint.
The swelling could also be a localized collection of blood, a synovial fluid leak and its localized collection.
The other possibility is a ganglion. This can arise due to repetitive use of joint or due to rheumatoid arthritis or sometimes without a cause too. It is usually a swelling in the tendon of a muscle. It can also be a swollen lymphnode if you have an injury in leg or  a skin rash or eczema near by. The possibility of it being a varicose vein or an abscess or a boil is always there. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage without examining the lump. Do consult your doctor. The lump needs to be examined. Often, this alone leads to diagnosis. If not, then an aspiration of the lump followed by cytology or a CT scan will be diagnostic. The treatment will depend on the diagnosis and may vary from surgical excision to incision and drainage. You can consult a vascular specialist and an orthopedist both, but first an orthopedist. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!