Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
very red, swollen, dry area around my eyes, burns when I put any sort o...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

very red, swollen, dry area around my eyes, burns when I put any sort of lotion on them

Yesterday morning when I woke up, around my eye was very red swollen and dry. When I went to put my normal face lotion on that I have been using for a year, they started to sting so bad it made my eyes water. I was able to put a little make up on to go to class and everything felt fine except that the swelling and redness was still there. When I got home I washed off my makeup, and they were still very red and swollen and started to dry up and when I put on a different moisturizer they stung extremely bad again. I took a nap and had moisturizer soaking in the whole time, and when I woke up nothing had changed. It almost started getting worse throughout the day, and when I woke up this morning they were more swollen than yesterday, and still just as red and dry. I tried to think if I have done anything differently and I don't think I have. At first I thought it was just a case of very dry skin, and because my eye area is so sensitive, it was just wore there; but I had lotion on them all day and all night and they are worse this morning. Then I thought maybe they got sunburnt on my run yesterday, but the rest of my face is not sunburnt and like I said it is worse this morning. I have been a little sick the past week, sore throat, a lot of flem (phlegm), but my body has been fighting it off and I actually felt the best on the day my eyes became like this. If it is an allergic reaction I cannot think as to what the cause would be and this has never happened to me before.
Any advice or answers?
1 Comment

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
In all probability it is sun burn, or an eczematous rash, an allergic reaction or very dry and chaffed skin. Apply cool compress and see if it helps. Natural moisturizers such as milk cream may help too. If still the swelling and redness persists please consult a doctor immediately. Do not apply any ointment, moisturizer and creams etc. Take care!