Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
vomit is black and so is mucus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

vomit is black and so is mucus

my son is throwing up black stuff and black stuff is coming out his nose what could it be?
1 Comment

Vomiting or throwing up of blood is called hematemesis. The source is generally the upper gastrointestinal tract.Causes may be lying in esophagus,stomach or duodenum like bleeding ulcers,varices, Mallory-Weiss syndrome (esophageal tear),inflammation of any of the three, irritation or erosion of the lining of the esophagus or stomach, vascular malfunctions of the gastrointestinal tract and tumors of the stomach or esophagus.

Sometimes,it may be due to vomiting of ingested blood after hemorrhage in the oral cavity, nose or throat.

I feel that one should consult a gastroenterologist as soon as possible as hematemesis is an emergency.The person needs investigations to find out the confirmatory diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and regards.