Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
what causes loud humming in my head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

what causes loud humming in my head

I've developed a very loud humming in my head.It doesn't come from one side or the other. It's not tinnitus. I have alot of timnnitus, in both ears and I know what that is like. This is as if I have a helmet on and it's putting pressure on my head and there's a loud, constant, monotone hum that surrounds my head. Accompanying it is any kind of outside sound causes a distortion, like a reverberation inside my head.I feel the sound in my head. Even my voice causes a reverberation. The hum is so loud it drowns out outside sounds. I can't hear my furnace cycle on like I usally can.It lessens considerably overnight and it's low when I wake up but builds through the day to unbearable loudness. No stretching or attempts at relaxing makes any difference.It's always there, always loud.
Thanks for writing to the forum!

Do you work in an environment with loud noises? This could explain your tinnitus and this humming noise. Also are you aware why you have tinnitus? Is it due to wax in your ear or due to Meniere’s disease? Many psychological problems and stress too can cause this type of humming sound.
Hope this helps. I think you should discuss this with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Thanks for your suggestions.
I live in the country. I see an neurotologist (ENT specialist) for another condition and he couldn't shed any light on it. Could muscle tension in the shoulders and neck cause so much constriction that it could produce this sound? I don't have Meniers or wax. My stress stems from this. It seemed to come out of nowhere. I had a carotid scan a few years ago and it was normal. Have you heard of this occurring with other people before?
Hm... I'm not sure what that could be... but... is your blood pressure normal? I recently fainted and one of the last things I heard before I fainted was a loud humming noise. I also couldn't hear anything else very well before I fainted.

I also know that fatigue increases tinnitus tenfold(when I've been fatigued enough, I've actually had it so loud that I also can't hear outside noises very well), and also changes its tone (at least in my case. I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember). Enough fatigue can also cause enough tension that it might cause the feeling of pressure, and it could also be what's altering your perception.

Could it be, perhaps, something like a migraine? I mean... it doesn't hurt, but I know that people with a migraine have trouble taking sounds very well... do you get sensitivity to light along with this?