Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
what causes this ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

what causes this ?

Hello , 3 days ago i started to get this real sharp stabbing pain in the middle of my chest between the breasts . at first i thought it was gas  so i was taking anti acids . so far not helping . i did try and see what exactly is causing this . i thought maybe it was after i ate well it is but not all foods , i noticed hard crunchy food ide get a sharp stabbing pains, but i get them at any time of the day wether im eating or not . i also noticed  they are worse in the mornings they basically wake me up sometimes also  its like having contractions but in my chest ! i do feel a slight heaviness in the back of my neck and in my back . like ive got something leaning on me . Also when i get these pains sometimes it can take my breath away  because of the pain . also i noticed somtimes when i lay down i would get s sharp pain to. But all these pains they only last for 5 secs or so but comes in waves like a contraction ! can someone pls help me with this . i am a smoker , i drink vaighly . im a 33 yr old female .
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The symptoms could be exacerbation of the GERD. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to change a couple of medications or take a combination of medications like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole,  lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into and a combination antibiotic tried.
Life style changes include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Go to bed at least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
You should consult a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) or a physician for this if these tips reduce your symptoms.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I went to my doc and he thinks it asthma  plus he said i have costochondritis of the rib cage he put me on an inhaler and gave me lortabs for the pain . he didnt want to give me naproxen cause he thought it would worsen the situation . but i dont understand is when i went in my bp was 145 /90  and the last time i went to him 3wks ago it was 136/88 and i took it again at home and it read 136/88 again. should i be keeping tract of my bp to see if it stays at that or above ? and then go back to my doc? plus im really not having trouble breathing so i dont know why he insists that its asthma !

Thank you for your response and i hope there is a good explanation to this and if its all in the same or should i go back to him with my bp readings ? or seek another family doc?