what could be wrong?
For months now I have been getting episodes of chest pain, shortness of breath and dizziness that lasts several hours. I have been to the ER several times and the doctors did a echocardiogram, chest x ray and a stress test, which where normal. Last night I got it again and it lasted from 6pm until I went to bed at 11pm. Then when I woke up in the morning the symptoms returned but went away after an hour. I also feel tired and short of breath most of the time and have a chronic cough. Sometimes the pain is in the upper part of my abdomen and lower chest. Could there still be something wrong with my heart? What is the most likely anwser? I am really worried about this , any information would be helpful. I am 16 years old
You might ask for the doctor to have a second radiologist look at your echocardiogram to see if they agree that it is normal.  What is your heart rate when one of these episodes comes on?  

Your chronic cough could cause chest wall irritation, which can be very painful.  Did they look at your lungs or just your heart with the chest x-ray (report will tell if they comment on how your lungs looked)?  Has the doctor sent you the GI doctor to see if you have gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD?  

Might it be that you are experiencing panic attacks, which can include palpitations, hyperventilation, which can make a person feel light headed?  Have you told the doctor about your tired feelings?  If so, have they figured out the cause?
I've had 2 echo cardiograms done and both were normal. Also my heart rate is about 110 when this happens. The tests have mostly been for my heart, and they haven't done much to check my lungs. Since they haven't found anything in over 8 visits they think it's in my head.
Welcome to the forum!
With history of episodes of chest pain, shortness of breath and dizziness there are a few possibilities that should be evaluated apart from heart problems. Personally, I do not feel your problem is related to heart as your tests related to your heart are ok.
Chances are that you have esophageal reflux (GERD), where the food in your stomach is thrown up into your food pipe or esophagus. This also causes burning sensation or discomfort in the chest area. Another possibility is hiatal hernia, where a portion of stomach herniates into the chest cavity through the diaphragm. This along with chest discomfort cause shortness of breath too. A GI doctor should be consulted.
Pleuritis and Pulmonary embolism are other possibilities causing shortness of breath with chest pain. A CT scan of the chest can rule out both.
Another possibility is costochondritis ((inflammation of the joint between rib and sternum). In costochondritis the inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Do you have any broncular problems?Asthma?Bronchitis?ETC?COPD is worth investigating as well.Hope you can find the answer soon,Good Lucks
Thank you for all the posts. I feel much better knowing there are other things besides the heart that can cause chest pain. I was diagnosed with asthma before, but another docter told me I don't have asthma. I think I will probably ask for a ct scan of the chest and if it is negative maybe go see a GI doctor.

thanks again.
Have you ever heard of I.S.T. or inappropriate sinus tachycardia?
No I haven't heard of that. I'll google it and see what it is.
I just read the symptoms of I.S.T. on wikipedia and I have all the listed symptoms.
I was diagnosed first with I.S.T. and then had a tilt table test and diagnosed with P.O.T.S..
5 Months ago I had a c-section which scared the hell out of me then 4 days after I returned home from hospital I started filling strange filling in my back,neck,and left side of chest and arm plus pain I still have pain and its been 5 months I am terrified I cant seem to stop worrying. I had my baby back in Aug 5 2009 and when I got really worried I went to the ER and they did EKG and Blood Work Cat Scan plus chest X-Ray they dint find anything It is now Dec 22 2009 and my pain is getting worse been to 3 different doctors one said its postpartum depression with anxiety the other 2 say its muscler pain I just want more answers than that I am terrified that I am haveing heart attack or something I admit I have postpartum and anxiety but come on I am on paxil and xaxax and still fill like **** Could it be nerve damage from spinal or worse any advice????????????????????????????????????????????????????