what does it mean to have a sudden swollen painful gland left side of the neck
suddenly the left gland under my neck got swollen and became painful. It eventually went down, but is still slightly swollen. Something under my tongue popped and tasted salty. After that, it gradually went down.
Welcome to the forum!
A lymph node is a part of the lymphatic system that tries to capture that infection. In the process it swells due to proliferation of infection fighting cells. Hence this swells in response to either infection or inflammation in the surrounding area. Lymph nodes in the neck area could be due to sinusitis, pyorrhea, dental caries, internal ear infections, and dandruff in your head or even from cancers. Under the tongue it could be a canker sore or a salivary gland inflammation. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining.
Please discuss this with your doctor.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.