Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
what is causing my anal prurito?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

what is causing my anal prurito?

hi, its being now about 5 month I was diagnose with a urethra bacterial infection(gonorrea), I was treated with antibiotics(one injection of penicilin and oral antibiotics for a month, ampicillin and cipro), since then I being experiencing anal itching and discomfort.  I ask the doctor about it and he said is possible that the oral antibiotics may had kill some bacteria in my intestinal system making this prurito reaction and that is normal, but its being four month since I stop using my antibiotics and the prurito come and goes.  I had used hidrocortisona and it helps a lot but when I stop using it the itching starts.  

If somebody could give me advice, I live in a tropical island, very humid very hot, but I live here all my life and is the first time this happens to me.  

Is possible that I have some kind of bacterial or viral infection, or is normal and I should continue using hidrocortisona?

if somebody could help me in this matter I would really appreciated, thank you.

There could be several causes for the symptoms you are having. You should reconsult with your doctor to rule out the following possible causes -

'Perfumes, chemicals, or dye on toilet paper can cause an allergic reaction.

Moisture from sweat or diarrhea may cause itching. If the anal skin stays wet, the skin begins to break down.

Some foods irritate the anus when they are expelled during a bowel movement. The most common culprits are caffeine, chocolate, beer, nuts, dairy products, and spicy food.

Infections such as pinworms, yeast, and genital warts can cause itching.

Hemorrhoids, which cause painful swelling of blood vessels in the anal area, can cause itching.

Cancer, in rare instances, may be a cause.'

Therte are certain factors which predispose to the risk of developing anal itching as a symptom.

'Factors that put people most at risk for anal itching are as follows:

Diabetes

Recent antibiotic use

Chronic dry skin conditions such as psoriasis and seborrhea

Profuse sweating.'

Do discuss these with your doctor and exclude any possible causes in your case.

Post us if you need any further information and let us know about how you are doing.

Regards.

hi, appreciated,

after finishing my oral antibiotic treatment my doctor said it was normal that prurito occur. .

but I can see that after three months sometimes I still feel discomfort and itching. .
your answer help a lot cause now I see there are many factors. . .

Its probably a combination, cause my father has psoriaris and I do too, and its being three months since I started practicing ashtanga yoga, and I sweat a lot!, so probably the psoriasis increases with the sweat and excercise plus I live in the caribbean and the weather here is very moist.

still I would visit my doctor and ask for a more precise diagnose

thank you, if there is any other advice regard to what I just posted I would be of great help.
Too often antibiotic use kills off our "good bacteria" along with the bad...and the flora in our gut gets off-balance...This leaves the opportunity for yeast infections to take hold...For the next 10-14 days, stop eating all white sugar and white flour containing foods...(Yeasties need sugar to survive.) Drink lots of water, add acidophilus (milk, yoghurt, supplements) to your diet, and use an antifungal cream like miconizole on the itchy areas...If this isn't what the problem is, you'll be healthier anyway, and if it is, you'll be healthier AND itch free! Hope this helps...                                                                                     ~MM

Glad to know that the post was of some help to you and thanks for the good words.

It is nice of you to follow up and update us about yourself.

Let us know how your visit to the doctor goes and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.