UNDIAGNOSED SYMPTOMS
COMMUNITY
why are my Ears sore when sleeping on them
by DiDi47, Sep 27, 2010
Hello, My ears hurt all of the time when I go to sleep at night and wake-up on one or the other. If I dont make a hole in my pillow for my ears, I wake-up with my ears killing me. Does anyone have this too. I also have one side of my tongue like numb and tingly :( please help me....
Member Comments (6)
by beanie485, Sep 28, 2010
yes I have the ear thing all the time hurts like the devil I bet the ear that hurts real bad is a very dark red if you look at in the mirror too.

It's caused from sleeping on that ear for so long in the same spot and not moving for a long time can you imagine putting all the weight of your head on that one tiny little organ made of just a little cartilage it's gonna hurt
by FurballsMom, Sep 28, 2010
The ear issue sounds normal actually.  The numb and tingly tongue does not.  You should see your doctor and see if you can get a referral to see a neurologist.
by cheshchesh819, Sep 28, 2010
Yes i always wakes up with my ear absolutly killing its like you broken it it hurts so much,lol,the tough thing could be you are biting on it whilst you are sleeping i used to do that alot too.
by DiDi47, Sep 28, 2010
Yes it does feel like they are broken Thats the exact work for the pain. But I didn't understand what you said about me biting and the last part of what you said. Thank you for your input I just dont understand what this is :(
by Dr. Kokil MathurBlank, Sep 29, 2010

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Ear pain during sleeping can be due to compression of the sensory nerves commonly called as pinched nerves, which supply the pinna (lobe) of the ear. Other causes could be bruxism (clenching and grinding of the teeth during sleep), dental pain, sinus problem, and fibromyalgia (rarely causes localized pain but a possibility). Conditions of the ear like dermatitis of the skin of the ear, compression of the nerves (trigeminal neuralgia, facial nerve compression) or it can be psychogenic otalgia (no cause can be found).
Please consult an ENT specialist. In addition, you may need investigations like nerve conduction velocity test, dental examination and CT scan of sinuses.
Try sleeping on your back, use sleeping caps with foam rubber rings, use soft pillows to decrease the pressure or sleep reclined.
Hope this helps. Take care!
by cheshchesh819, Sep 29, 2010
sorry what i meant to say was my tongue used to hurt and feel either numd or have pins and needles in it because i used to bite on it in my sleep,i would wake up with dead ears and a tongue that felt numb