Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
wound that won't heal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

wound that won't heal

What can cause a wound to not only refrain from healing, but grow larger?  I have a sore on my pinky finger that began months ago as a tiny spot...almost the size of a pin head.  It has since grown to the size of a pencil eraser and bleeds almost everyday.  When I put a band aid on it, it grows larger.  If I touch it to anything, it bleeds.  The bleeding usually lasts a few hours at a time.  Ok, it's been almost a year now and hasn't improved at all. I am tired most of the time and have lately been experiencing moments of naseau.  I don't know if the fatigue is real or just a result of stress.  Sometimes, the wound burns.  Other times, it feels like a bruise.  But most of the time, it doesn't bother me with the exception of the bleeding.  Also, after awhile wrapped in a bandaid, it gives off a very unpleasant odor.  It sort of smells like a combination of infection and juicy fruit gum.
  • breast sore (1 replies):
    I have a small pencil eraser size sore on my breast that...[more]
  • Wound Hardening (1 replies):
    Not completely burn relevant but wound relevant- after g...[more]
  • Cut (2 replies):
    I've had a cut on the tip of my middle finger on the rig...[more]
  • Cut that wont heal? (3 replies):
    A few days ago I was itching my finger and some skin cam...[more]
  • abscess (1 replies):
    my son has had a abscess on the top of his bottom he has...[more]

A wound that does not heal is due to some underlying cause like low blood supply (ischemia) or diabetes or low lying infection. A non healing wound has central red portion and peripheral white portion and pus or white tissue in between. It can grow larger with time as the periphery becomes dead. It also bleeds on touch. Fatigue is also a common symptom in people who have diabetes. Bleeding lasting for hours needs to be looked at. You may need to get a bleed time, a clotting time and platelet count done to analyze why the bleeding does not stop. However in infected wounds the wall of blood vessels is so fragile that they keep bleeding.

Please get a blood glucose fasting and after food. If you smoke, then smoking too can cause peripheral blood vessels to constrict and the wound does not heal. A swab culture of the wound can detect any infection. If your work involves pressure on fingertips then the pressure too can cause the wound not to heal.

I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted.
Thank you for your response.  Although I frequently take my special needs sons to their many specialists, I have deep fears when it comes to my own health issues.  I do not smoke and never have.  I do not work.  My children require my full attention.  My husband will get insurance through his work in three months.  If I wait until then to see a doctor, will this be considered a pre existing condition?

If you are asking from insurance angle, then yes. This will be a preexisting condition as this was present before the insurance was taken. It is generally possible to know that the ulcer or wound has been there for a long time.

Since you have a son with special needs, please take care of your health. You are a brave person and I know you can overcome your fears. There is nothing to be scared of. Is there a family history of diabetes? If yes, please get the blood sugar test done.

Take care and do keep me posted.