Urgent Care Expert Forum
Enlarged Prostate in 30 Year Old Man?

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

Enlarged Prostate in 30 Year Old Man?

**Just kidding, this isn't about tasering, just didn't have an apprppriate topic choice****

I have a
Just to clarify, i do realize there is a urology forum, but I feel the responses there are a little lacking in depth ; -) I am happy to jump at the chance for Dr. Choi to impart his wisdom on this matter.

My, I do sound a bit like Eddie Haskall now don't I?
If you're looking for my taser testimony to the Palo Alto City Council Task Force, look here:
http://search.medhelp.org/blog/enochchoi.php?catid=14&blogid=4
No I wasn't looking for taser information, I didn't have an opportunity to select a specific topic that applied to my question. I selected the taser as more of a joke ; )

My actual question is in the body of the post.

Thanks!

Thank you for your response. I must admit, I didn't see the orignal response : ) I had read that the PSA is not terribly accurate in men under 45 or 50, but I am not sure if they were actually planning on performing one or not. I do think I remember him saying that they were planning to do an u/s.

I do realize a year of symptoms versus a week is small potatoes, but panick mode set in. My "friend" and her husband just recently had their 3rd son a few months ago and just purchased their first home. To have a doctor who is normally cool as a cucumber show significant concern over this sent up some warning flags.

Again, thank you for your information. I was hoping to find out what could be a contributing factor, if there is anything that could be a contributing factor. I did look up things like BPH, but that seems to be virtually unheard of in a man of his age.

Your welcome!

Many different reasons can cause PSA elevation in young men:
- prostate physical examination
- other manipulation of prostate including exercise
- prostatitis (infectious or other inflammation)
- bph (less likely)
- cancer both prostate and other organs (very unlikely, but not impossible)
- recent surgery
- testosterone replacement therapy
- ejaculation
- others

Enoch Choi, MD
My husband is also 30 years old.  He started feeling pressure down south about 2 weeks ago.  So he went it to see his doctor and he said he had an enlarged prostate (but felt normal) and gave him an antibiotic and some Flomax.  They didn't really seem to help.  He went back one week later and the doctor gave him some more antibiotics and drew some blood for the PSA test.  But how much stock can I put in this test?  

My husband said that once he started taking the first antibiotic, his urine stream did become stronger.... that it had been weak for about a year, but he never really thought about it or noticed it until it started getting stronger just last week.  You had mentioned this would indicate NOT being an infection.  Are there any other possibilties other then cancer?

Thank You
Actually, if urinary stream improved after taking antibiotics this is reassuring since that can be due to shrinkage of the enlarged prostate if it was from chronic infection.  The important thing is to return to see his doctor and follow up with the blood test results.  Cancer is unlikely but still possible in a 30 year old male.  It's more likely if he has a family history of cancer, but even without it, it's possible, but unlikely at that early of age.

Enoch Choi, MD