Urgent Care Expert Forum
I HAVE A TUMOR IN/AROUND MY JAW-DIAGNOSED AS "MANDIBLE MASS"

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

I am wondering what's the potential of my tumor being cancerous?I smoked for about 9 yrs.either two packs of newports or three packs of black n mild cigars a day.when i smoke black n milds, i chew on the plastic tip with my left canine teeth as i smoke.recently under my tongue on the left side i found a hard mass that shouldnt be there.also outside my teeth on the inside of my left cheek i found a hard swollen mass from the center of my jaw line all the way to the left part of my chin.i went to the er.prior to a catscan an oral surgeon felt around my mouth and examined it and said my mouth showed little signs of smoke damage from my mucosi.he said that he felt expanding bone.i think whatevers under my tongue that i feel has been there for perhaps a year.according to that the surgeon said he doesn't think its aggressive.then after the catscan someone else told me i have a tumor.in writing it says:
"Discharge Diagnosis: Mandible Mass. Your CT scan showed an expansile mass of your mandible with calcification.The possibility that this is cancerous cannot be ruled out..follow up with the head and neck clinic."
I'm 29, feel relatively healthy.enrgetic and active.so i am wondering what is the likelihood of this tumor being cancerous? and, if it is, what are the common treatments? i'm worried about a disfiguring surgery.do these get removed without having to remove ones jaw?I'm going to a head and neck clinic on friday and will request a biopsy and blood test.
I'm hoping someone can give me a little bit of insight about my concerns until then.Thanks.
1 Comment
I had a panoramic xray at my first new dental office recently and they saw a white mass in jaw line under aspices of a molar, I believe. I was told it was most likely "condensing osteitis" and nothing to worry about.

Maybe you should seek an oral surgeon/pathologist to see if this is the case for you too, and to get peace of mind.

I hope it's nothing. Stay positive.