Urgent Care Expert Forum
I injured nerve, tendon, artery in hand

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

I injured nerve, tendon, artery in hand

Hello  - I sutained a very bad injury on the palm of my hand when I fell on tiles while holding a ketchup bottle. The glass pierced my hand and I bled profusely. I went to A & E and was given stitches. A few days later I visited a hand specialist and was told i needed surgery which I had to repair ulnar nerve in thumb, index radial nerve in index finger and also thumb flexor tendon. I am still numb but on a recent visit to my Doctor he mentioned I also had severed an artery but that this wasn't repaired. Should I be worried.
Thank you
1 Comment
  I had a had a hand injury a little over a year ago where I cut my left middle finger to the bone on an oyster or something. I had a partial (60%) laceration of the flexor tendon and a cut nerve on the tip, and had surgery. No artery, so I don't know much about that. For me it has been a very frustrating injury. I think any injury to stuff inside the hand should be taken seriously and with concern, because the hand is a tool with intricate workings (?not good wording). For me the tendon was the worst because alot of the time with tendon injuries you will loose some motion, and there is a time window for optimal repair and return of function. The earlier you get surgery the better, (like the same day, or next if possible)because if you wait, the chances of recovery go down. Rehab is VERY important, too, and can really make a big difference, because it has to be done at the right time while the hand is healing. If you've already had surgery, you probably know all that.
  The nerve thing can be bad, too, because you may or may not have some permanent numbness. I have a tiny bit on the tip, but so little that its not a big deal. After repair it will get better with time, but just depends how bad.
  But again, my experience, the tendon thing sucked the worst. The surgery was a success, but my finger has lost some range of motion (like retardo finger). Best advice I can give is to take the therapy seriously, and make time to do it. It can be real frustrating therapy, because its you thumb, and you'll get tired of it after a few months, but stick with it. Sometimes it take a year or so for recovery to plateau.
Best of luck