Urgent Care Expert Forum
Please help--4 month stomach pain in same place

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

Please help.  

41 female , great health and wieght (other than this) non smoker/drinker
I have been having since November of 2006 upper right abdominal pressure...Which eventually turned to burning... It is at this point burning so bad that it keeps me up at night. always same place..

Test done:
upper abdominal ultrasound (liver,gallbladder/uterus,kidneys..) all came back okay..

I have been on Nexium then  Prilosec for a total of  3 months...

It is now to the point mentioned above where it keeps me up at night.

I don't know if I should seek urgent medical attention. I  am 1 week post operative of a mini extended TT.  So i am a little nervous about going in the ER as I am healing (I have no drains though) I know unfortuantely i might also have C-diff.  I am bringing in a stool sample tomorrow. (i was on long term antibiotics for sinus infeciton)

Any suggestions.  Is this so serious or could be where i should seek ER care?
why not take your PPI at bedtime?  i do and it helps.  good luck
Have you had a pelvic sonogram?  Have you considered seeing a Gynocologist for this issue?  

Ovarian cysts can cause the type of symptom you are describing.  

Most women do not know that symptoms such as heartburn, bloating, fullness, etc can be signs of gynocological issues.  Often many doctors will also treat these same patients for other illness such as IBS and/or GERD.  If you are getting no relief from the anti heartburn meds, then why not look into another cause for your discomfort?  We know our bodies and it is up to us to demand answers when we are not feeling well and to push forward to get answers.

Good luck....hope you feel better soon.
It's fine to take a PPI at bedtime, but it's the stronger medication and I recommend patients to take this in the morning so that the most symptoms are blocked while awake.  As the PPI wears off, I think a histamine-2 blocker can prevent nighttime symtoms (symptoms).

Enoch Choi, MD
Although gynecologic problems cause many different kinds of abdominal pain, in my experience the quality of the pain is not typically burning in nature.

The location of pain gynecologic conditions typically give is in the lower quadrants, closer to the pelvis.

Enoch Choi, MD
Hi Dr Choi,
I want to thank you for your responses to all on this forum! You have been very educational to me as well as to others.  The time you take out for your comments and follow ups is very rare in this day and age, and I for one appreciate it. I, being a nurse, have learned a great deal.
Again thank you!
Dr Choi,

You are 100 percent correct by saying that gynocological pain is usually lower...usually, but not ALWAYS!!!!

I would urge any and every women being treated for IBS that does not clear up seek a gynocological exam.  Most women with advanced stage OvCa are mis-diagnosised with illnesses such as IBS which prolongs treatment.  

I doubt that this poster has OvCa, as it is considered rare, but, one should never ever rule out any gynocological issues when it comes to any persistant abdominal pain, and or heartburn, bloating, feeling of fullness, etc.  
Your encouragement really means a lot.  Thanks!

Enoch Choi, MD
Yes, it's true, gynecologic issues can show up with many kinds of abdominal pain including those you list.  I'm just saying what's most common, is that they're not often the cause of these kinds of abdominal symptoms.

Enoch Choi, MD