Urgent Care Expert Forum
Severe Dental Pain and my dentist office is closed!

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

I have a toothache that is now becoming unbearable. I called my dentist and they are closed at 1:00pm and advise me to goto the emergancy room for any dental emergancies. What will the emergancy be able to do? Are there onsite dentists to assist? I'm kinda freakn out but kinda feel silly going to the ER when I'm sure they much bigger fish to fry. Any advise would be greatly appriciated.
That depends on how you define "emergency." The dentist has a legal and generic answer on the machine.  Some dental emergencies include dental avulsions and infections, and abscess.  You are correct that on a Friday night you may be triaged to wait hours prior to being seen and then only be prescribed a pain med until seen by your dentist on Monday.  I you are having fevers or chills you absolutely need to be seen.   All others is really your judgement call.  
No fever or chills, just very intense, throbbing pain. I can't imagine going all weekend in this much pain. Just my luck for this to happen on a Friday. I've tried advil, tylenol, numbing medicine, icepack but nothing is helping. Well thanks for the quick response, I guess I'm off to wait for hours in the ER.