Urgent Care Expert Forum
Sugar Lows

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

Sugar Lows

I HAVE WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND THE DOCTOR SAID THAT I HAVE HYPOGLYCEMIA. BUT THEY WILL NOT GIVE ME ANYTHING FOR IT . I WAS WONDERING IF GLUCAGON WOULD BE THE BEST THING TO DO OR WHAT?
Hypoglycemia is controlled via the diet, not via medications.  You need to set up a diet similiar to that of diabetes.  Eating a lot of sugar isn't the answer, but rather eat a combination of starches and complex carbs to balance the sugar requirements you need to have energy throughout the day.  Taking glucose tablets would be only in the event that you crash.  Eating simple sugars like candy peak your sugar in a short time and then you crash because it can't sustain glucose in the blood.  It is important to eat a variety of foods from all food groups, but the combinations should be correct for you.  You can buy many books on this topic, or you can see a nutritionist for diet suggestions.  There is also a forum here on this site with a nutritionist who might be able to make some suggestions.  good luck
I've suffered from the same for a long time and yes, a lot of doctors (especially in uk) do not prescribe anything for it.  I even have to buy the test strips for my glucose meter to keep a regular check on my blood sugar.  I have found, after trial and error that eating 'natural foods' really helps regulate my blood sugar.  My doctor did put me on the GI diet but that really made the problem a lot worse - it's simply not suited to everyone.  So now I only eat fresh meat, organic vegetables/fruit, probiotic drinking yoghurts and if I want cakes then it's home made - I tried using fructrose as a substitute for sugar but I can say I'd rather go without - obviously it's personal taste.  An instant oat porridge with honey is a really good at setting you up for the day or late at night as it helps to keep your blood sugar stable for quite a number of hours.  Plus you must remember to have breakfast! - one of my big downfalls until I finally got into the habit of doing myself breakfast when I did it for the kids - I have learnt it's far better to regulate your blood sugar through your diet naturally rather than use an 'artificial substance' like glucagon and over time your blood sugar drops will not appear as often - my last drop was about three/four weeks ago because of a can of coke (but I couldn't resist temptation!).