Urgent Care Expert Forum
croup, ear infections, low grade fever

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

croup, ear infections, low grade fever

My daughter was at the doctor 10/20 and was diagnosed with ear infections in both ears. We were in the emegency room on 10/21 for croup. We went to the dr on 10/23 and the ear infection was not better in one ear so she was put on a different antibiotic. She has carried a fever the whole time. The highest it has been is 102.7. She is still running a fever today and I am just not sure whether we should make another trip to the office. I don't want to be a pain. She has layed around and not had any interest in anything. She is not eating much. She is drinking lots of water. When this began she complained of her fingers and toes hurting, her back hurting, and her mouth hurting. She is pale but the color comes and goes. I am just worried because usually she is quite healthy. Is a low grade fever for this long reason enough to take her to the dr again (she was there yesterday)? What other illnesses should we be looking at (flu, colds, etc.)?
They need to recheck the ear.  

If there is no clinical improvement, some would consider changing the antibiotics due to failure to obtain a clinical response.  
They have changed the antibiotic. She was on amoxicillin and is now on augminten. I am more concerned about the fever since she has had it since Saturday
Fevers are the body's response to assist in the body's fight against the infection.   In my practice. we don't treat a fever unless the fever gets too high or problems with the patient's comfort.  With the change in antibiotics, you want to give another interval of perhaps 24 to 48 hours to see if she improves.  
Thank you, it makes me feel better. The fever has gone away now and she is acting more like herself...