Urgent Care Expert Forum
kidneys

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

kidneys

Last week I was diagnosed with a kidney infection. This is the 4th I've been diagnosed with since July this year. i have never been this ill with one before though. I am in such pain it's almost difficult to stand up straight. the pain is mainly in my back around the kidneys (both sides) and abdo pain - lower and upper.

I was vomiting a lot with it - but this has now stopped. I'm due to finish my course of Trimethoprim tomorrow, but the pain is not getting easier - it is just getting worse. I have a slight temperature, I feel hot to touch, although I'm actually feeling quite cold...

Do I need to go back to my GP or to a walk in centre?!
1 Comment
If you are still feeling unwell then it may be worth going back to your GP - maybe you need a different antibiotic - I had trimethoprim a couple of years ago and that in itself made me feel quite poorly - if you are unhappy about the treatment from your GP at any time or feel he/she is not addressing the problem properly then by all means go to the walk in centre - ideally taking an early morning sample of urine (as the concentration of bacteria will be at it's strongest) and they may be able to test it as well as prescribe an antibiotic which will finally clear up the problem properly.