Urgent Care Expert Forum
post cholecystectomy diarrhea and pain or Crohn's?

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

Still having problems with several loose stools a day with cramping since my cholecystectomy on Sept. 1st. I was told by my surgeon that this would get better in time. I have to avoid many foods now or I have a problem. I still have pain in area where gallbladder used to be and wonder about the titanium clips maybe migrating and causing problems. I was given Questran for the loose stools but I got hives from it so had to stop taking it...Also, there is a history of Crohn's disease in my family. My mother died from Crohn's in 1965 when I was only 8 years old. My younger sister, who just turned 50, was diagnosed with Crohn's this past July and had to have a partial colectomy with colostomy. The colostomy was just reversed a few weeks ago. She also had a cholecystectomy just two months prior to the diagnosis of Crohn's and the colectomy. I have heard that Crohn's can be hereditary, so I am wondering if maybe there is more to my loose bowel problem that just the after effects of my cholecystectomy. I am wondering if I too may have Crohn's? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time Dr. Guy.
A very famous physician said, "always listen to the patient, they're usually correct."  With that family history, I would stronly encourage you to have that investigated.   I would have your PCP refer you to a gastroenterologist.