Urgent Care Expert Forum
questions about clips used in cholecystectomy
About This Forum:

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

questions about clips used in cholecystectomy

It is my understand that two clips are used to close off ducts and arteries after gallbladder removal. Do these clips ever cause any problems, like can they move, or slip off, get infected, cause adhesions, etc? And what are the clips made of? I was just curious about all of this. Thanks.
Related Discussions
303398_tn?1193102884
Great question.   The clips do not cause problems.  They are used to clip the artery going to the gall bladder and the duct that drains the gall bladder.  They can cause problems if they slip of the structures on which they were placed, and this would occur in the first couple of days after surgery.  In this case one would have bleeding or a bile leak.  This is not a likely event if the clips were placed with care by the surgeon.  The clips are made of  titanium.
2 Comments
Blank
173119_tn?1297003336
I thought the clips might be titanium but wasn't sure and thank you for your very prompt answer to my questions about the clips. I greatly appreciate it.

Tina
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank