Urgent Care Expert Forum
questions about clips used in cholecystectomy

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

It is my understand that two clips are used to close off ducts and arteries after gallbladder removal. Do these clips ever cause any problems, like can they move, or slip off, get infected, cause adhesions, etc? And what are the clips made of? I was just curious about all of this. Thanks.
Great question.   The clips do not cause problems.  They are used to clip the artery going to the gall bladder and the duct that drains the gall bladder.  They can cause problems if they slip of the structures on which they were placed, and this would occur in the first couple of days after surgery.  In this case one would have bleeding or a bile leak.  This is not a likely event if the clips were placed with care by the surgeon.  The clips are made of  titanium.
I thought the clips might be titanium but wasn't sure and thank you for your very prompt answer to my questions about the clips. I greatly appreciate it.

Tina