Urgent Care Expert Forum
shot in knee - torn meniscus / grade II MCL sprain

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

a little over a month ago I injured my knee causing a partial medial meniscal tear, a partial lateral meniscal tear and a grade II MCL sprain. I am waiting to see the surgeon but today received an injection to try to help with the pain and swelling. This morning I rated my pain at a 7 or 8, but now my leg feels 10 times worse right now. Instead of the pain being isolated in my knee as before, I am having horrible cramping throughout my whole leg. Is the increase in pain from the injection? Can I expect the pain to lessen? If so, how soon? My doc is completely against pain meds so I have only been taking ibuprofen 4 times per day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.  I wish I didn't have to wait to see the surgeon, but because of her back up, the wait is very long.  I did read that cortisone injections can cause a "cortisone flare".  I don't know if this is the case with me.  I have tried to call the Physicians asst. at the surgeons office but they have not responded to my numerous calls.  Do you believe this is something I should seek emergent care for?
It's always reasonable to seek emergent care for a worsening condition that is not explained.

Enoch Choi, MD
you could potentially have a blood clot to that leg, especially if the pain is now in your whole leg. I would see your PCP who could probably see you sooner than later or go to the ER to have it checked out,
I was playing soccer this weekend and had a colision with the keeper. I slid in, the keeper hit me in my shin and I believe, on the outside of my knee. I had extreme pain localized to the inside of my knee. Went straight to the ER and they think I have a partial tear/full tear of my MCL. If I had a partial tear would I be able to cut/pivot? I cannot do either and I am just barly able to bear weight on it. I am walking with crutches but trying to keep my leg moving forward and back as much as possible (orders from my orthepedic surgeon who I see tomorrow). if i move it sideways, either way, i get a sharp pain, a "jolt" near the lower inside of my knee. I guess I will find out more tomorrow, but thought I would ask....