Urgent Care Expert Forum
stiffness in joints

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

stiffness in joints

Hi, I have developed stiffness (burning)in both hips, both shoulders, both feet and pains at the base of both thumbs. This started over the summer when I thought I just over did it exercising one day. Now I realize it is now almost December and I am in constant pain. It is difficult to lay on my shoulders and or hips, so sleeping is difficult. I dont like to take medication but started taking Tylenol Arthritis, and it does help. (but not the thumbs) I am 50 years old and all of a sudden I feel like it too. For the most part I make myself walk and exercise, but getting started is painful. I also have a hard time sitting, I jsut cant get comfortable with the burning feeling in my hips. I consider myself pretty healthy, no medications, and up till recently dint complain about much. Any ideas or suggestion?
Making a diagnosis in an internet setting is hazardous, but this forum works well for general discussion of medical topics.  

When trying to treat pain, one should always try to find the underlying cause.   Most types of arthritis are rather gradual in onset.  In your case you sound like someone that was active and had this develop over a period of months—which is rather a short period of time.  For example a person with Lyme diseases will similar pain in their joints (plus a variety of other symptoms).  Treatment of the pain with Tylenol will perhaps make the pain improve, but not heal the underlying problem.

You need to be seen by your physician so they can x-ray the involved joints as well as  some initial  blood work.  This is usually the first required step in getting you the help and answers you need.