Urgent Care Expert Forum
very very very low potassium
About This Forum:

MEDICAL EMERGENCY- CALL YOUR DR. or 911! This forum is for questions and support regarding urgent care issues such as: Abscess, Angina, Animal Bites, Bronchitis, COPD, Cuts, Flu, Food Poisoning, Heart Attack, Mono, Influenza, Laceration, Nausea, Pneumonia, Rabies, Sports Injuries, Strep.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

very very very low potassium

ok this all started with a new job phyical i was contacted and told i have a potassium level of 2.4 and need to go see my doctor immediatly did not know how important potassium was and so i waited a month before going and getting it checked.  the doctor said he douted it was that low because i was still functioning fine and did not have any syptoms (symptoms) but they would check it.  so they did and it came back as a 2.0 level he then ommited m into the hospital and appon arrival they checked it again to find it was 1.6 they did an ekg and found it to be "crappy" in his words they kept me five days pumping iv potassium ( total of 6 liters) and did a 24 hour urine test on me the also were giving me 2 potssium pills 3 times daily i left the hospital with a 3.0 level and was told to give twice weekly blood tests to see where my potassium levels wee going they had me taking two potassium pills three times daily, a diuretic once daily, and a magnesium pill three times daily. scine leving the hospital my potassium levels are continuing to drop at 2.2 now and was told to take one more diuretic a day and three more potassium pills.  he also mentioned that his diagnosis was either barter syndrome or gettelmans deasese.  scince taking the pills i have always had a bloated feeling and always diurrea.  my question to you is this it am i reduced to taking pills forever or is there another way to cope with this or maybe he did not test something that could have been any help or suggestions would be gratly appreciated. keep in mind i am still taking blood tests and we have not found a way to keep my potassium levels from droping and i only drink maybe 6 beers a week (less scince being on the pills more like three now and no i don't eat licorice) i have a steddy diet and i already eat high potassium foods salads lots and lots of potatoes.  thanks again