Urinary Tract Infection Community
E.Coli keeps showing in Urine Culture but not in Catheter Bladder / Bo...

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

E.Coli keeps showing in Urine Culture but not in Catheter Bladder / Boric Acid?

Trying to find someone who has gone through this. In August 2012 I was put on a steroid 5-day dose pack. It destroyed me in every way possible! In November 2012, e.coli was found in my urine and I was put on 4 rounds of different antibiotics but I wasn't having symptoms. In fact, the antibiotics actually brought on UTI symptoms and even after the 4 rounds, the e.coli is still there! The kicker is that my Catheters and urinalysis are consistently negative but urine culture remains showing 100,000 e.coli. I am at my wit's end. Cranberry supplements, wine, and too much sugar irritate my vagina so it seems to be a vaginal infection and not a bladder. A new uro - gynecologist is recommending Boric Acid capsules in hopes of acidifying the vagina so the good bacteria can stick and over-populate and balance out. She wants me on a good lactobacillus probiotic, low-sugar diet., fermented foods, no alcohol, caffeine, etc. I have read though that Boric Acid can mutate e.coli and make it worse. I am so confused and just wondering if anyone out there has experienced anything like this? I cannot find anyone who has and all docs are puzzled and some say to just live with it but that doesn't seem right either. I am going to restart the D-Mannose but not sure if I should combine this with boric acid. I am really trying to reverse this with Diet, probiotics and D-Mannose alone but am stumped on the Boric Acid too? The thought of using the boric acid freaks me out. I really hope someone else out there who has gone through something similar reads this and can provide some insight! Thanks!