Urinary Tract Infection Community
All tests negative? Can it still be a UTI?
About This Community:

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

All tests negative? Can it still be a UTI?

I am a 90kg/193lb 24 year old female with gallstones and hypothyroidism, but is otherwise healthy.  I don't have any STD, I take my birth control religiously, and I've never had any history of ovarian cysts, or abnormal pap smears.

Last Saturday I went to the ER for frequent urination and slight discomfort around my right ovary. (A pressure/tingling feeling). I had no burning, itching, abnormal discharge, or severe pain. However, sex was uncomfortable two days prior. All tests came back negative. They poked and protted my entire right side, nothing else was really sensitive. They did both a urine and a blood pregnancy test as well as a comprehensive urine tests, urine cultures and even did a finger ***** test for blood sugar. Everything was negative and normal. They finally just sent me home and told me to come back if I get a fever, chills, vomiting, or back pain.

Over the week, the discomfort and frequent urge dissipated and since nothing else has come up I thought it would be safe to have sex today. It wasn't. I experienced a painful burning sensation and had to stop. I have no other obvious symptoms of an UTI or infection. I have a Dr apt in 3 days and I am wondering what to tell him, especially because I'm due for my period in 3 days. Can cultures and urine tests still be done while menstruating? Should I ask for an ultrasound to be done? Is it still possible I have a UTI, even after all tests were negative? What else could cause a burning sensation?