Urinary Tract Infection Community
Antibiotics every time I have sex?

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Antibiotics every time I have sex?

Hello!

I'm a 27-year-old female, and I've had recurrent UTIs since I was 19 years old. I've been in a serious relationship for the past 4 months, and I've had 2 (and a possible case of kidney stones) since it started.

I went to a urologist today, and he prescribed 100 mg of Macrobid, which I'm supposed to take every time I have sex (ideally an hour before, but he said right after is OK too.) According to the doctor, I shouldn't have to take it every day because "Most people don't have sex every day."

....And this is where my bashfulness at having a male doctor got me into trouble. I tried to hint that maybe this wasn't the best treatment plan for me, based on what he was saying, but the doctor seemed pretty dead-set in his diagnosis and prescription.

The thing is, my boyfriend and I do have sex every day, sometimes more than once every day. If you are a health care professional or someone with a similar treatment plan, could you please help me figure out the following?

1) Will taking an antibiotic every day hurt me or make me a public health hazard (due to the development of drug-resistant bacteria)?

2) Will taking an antibiotic every day make me more prone to yeast infections?

3) If I'm supposed to take this every time I have sex, does that mean I take it 3 times a day if I have sex 3 times in 1 day? Or will one pill cover me for the day?

4) Should I just stop having sex as frequently, since that seems to be the source of the problem?

I appreciate your understanding in this matter. Obviously this is an embarrassing problem for me, considering I was too bashful to ask my doctor these questions.

Thanks!
You poor thing!  First of all, maybe you need a female doctor.  It can't be good for you to take all that junk. It would be good for you to have someone you could talk to.  Do you always get up to pee after you have sex every time?  Do you drink a ton of water?  Take extra vitaminC?  Drink unsweetened cranberry juice?  Herbal cranberry tea  infusions help  too.  Other herbs for infusions:  Bilberry, Cleavers, Dandelion, Horsetail, Raspberry, Rose Hips, Saw Palmetto, Thyme and Uva Ursi.  The main thing is DRINK DRINK DRINK!!!!  Resource:  Susun Weed on UTube, tells about infusions.
How wonderful that you are having so much fun.  Now, we just need you to figure out  a way for you to not have to worry - and without drugs!

Marcia
I have had a terrible history of bladder infections too and am finally figuring out how to prevent them and what seems to work for me!  I got so sick of going to the doctor and even have had some terrible allergic reactions to antibiotics. Sometimes my results were postive but some were negative but still had UTI symptoms. I researched and found d-mannose with cran actin..it seems to work for a ton of people. It iskind of  pricey but has been 100% worth it for me.(About $30) Since taking it I haven't had a bladder infection which is awesome since I started having about 2 a month starting in November 2012!!! I even had them years before I had sex! So with D-mannose if I start to feel a little uncomfortable I just take one pill and it goes away. Here are some tips that have helped me. First I have started to go pee before and after sex. Also bought some flushable wipes to clean and freshen up after!  I also use these wipes after I go to the restroom so it reduces the risk of bacteria traveling into my vagina. This has seemed to work wonderful. If you are using lubricant, that could  help cause a UTI because I know I am very sensitive to alot of lubes. I read alot on using coconut oil as lube and found that works good for me since normal lube always irritated down there. But definitely do some research on D-mannose!! I also take a daily cranberry pill.I am no longer having to miss my college classes and spend hours on the toliet with terrible burning sensations.Woo woo!! And I am no longer scared to go on a vacation with fear of getting a UTI. Last of all don't let your doctor make you feel abnormal for having sex daily!!! And try your hardest not to let bladder infections have an impact on your sex life. Hope this helps because I know how terrible bladder infections are!!
I have been a severe sufferer just like you. I tried everything. A friend told me about UTI Cleanse pills with d-mannose and cranberry and it seriously changed my life. I use to get one everytime and now it's been several months and I'm clear. No more antibiotics!  I take it several times a day. It's not cheap but it works and it's natural. You have to take it for a few weeks before it starts working though.
As a young wife, I had many UTI's and my doc put me on Macrodantin. The pharmacist told me to only use it on the nights we had sex due to the cost of the pill.  At that time, it would have been daily.  As time went on, it got to be less and less so I stopped taking it completely and treated only when I had an infection.  I now have my 2nd infection in 10 years and am on Keflex.  

You might consider washing well and having your boyfriend washing well prior to sex. THEN, you should immediately urinate after you have sex.  That will help clean out any e coli or bacteria he could have pushed into the opening.