Urinary Tract Infection Community
Blood in my urine

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Blood in my urine

I have had blood in my urine two evenings in a row, not during the day just of a night. I also have pain when I urinate, and an urge to urinate frequently feeling that I need to urinate again as I stand up from the toilet and when I try there is nothing or a few drops with pain behind the pubic bone. During the day I seem ok, a little discomfort or strange feeling when I urinate but not equalling the pain I had on the first night, the second night had less blood (a very small amount) and was less painful.

I don't like I have a fever or anything.

I am just finishing a two week course of 400g metronidazole for bacteria vaginosis.

Any advice would be great & hopefully stop me panickng.

Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
The common causes of blood in urine in females are kidney stones, urinary tract infection, blockage of urethra by stone, tumor, etc.Intake of antibiotics, any kidney disease; inflammation of the kidney, bladder infection can cause blood in urine. A complete history, laboratory and imaging studies may help in determining the cause of your symptoms. Treatment will be specific based on the cause. Schedule an appointment with a nephrologist.Do keep me posted.
Take care and regards!
Thanks for your comment.

I went to the Doctor who gave me some antibiotics for a UTI (they begin with T can't remember).

I have clear evidence of blood for a couple more days which was quite worrying but the antibiotics seemed to have reduced the need to pee & the pain that came with it. However I now have a feeling in my left side/back like someone has been kicking me in the kidneys, also my urine first thing in the morning smells terrible.

I'm worried about the pain so will try contacting my Doctor again!

The symptoms went;
Monday night large amount of blood in urine.
Tuesday pain urinating & traces of blood
Wednesday less pain & less evidence of blood (very large quantity of water consumed)
Thursday lots of pain when urinating, evidence of blood
Friday still uncomfortable and frequent urination (started antibiotics)
Saturday woke in early hours with pain in side/back still a little uncomfortable to urinate no blood. Pain in side/back there all day
Sunday first pee of the morning smelt horrid but less pain urinating, pain in back/side still present
Monday no pain to urinate but first one of the day smelt horrid & back/side pain still evident.

If you have any further thoughts please do let me know otherwise I will update you after I have spoken to my Doctors again.

Thank you