Urinary Tract Infection Community
Did I cause a UTI?

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Did I cause a UTI?

Ok, so this is going to sound really stupid I know...About a week and a half ago I had sex with a women who I did not know a lot about. She claims she was negative and everything and the last guy she was with, she was with for a really long time. We had sex and I did not wear any protection. I realize it was a really bad thing to do since I did not know her very well, but I did believe her to a good extent I guess.

Afterwards, I cleaned up and whatnot. I started to wonder if she might have had something and not known (I don't really see how you would not know, but I am told that most people do not even have symptoms). So I began to get worked up and very concerned. So (this is the dumb part) for the whole day pretty much I kept putting hand sanitizer all over my Penis. It did burn a lot because I believe a good bit did get into the urethra.

A day or two later, I began feeling like I had to urinate more frequently and even when I did a few minutes later I felt like I had to go again. I was very well hydrated (urine was practically if not clear). It did not really burn or anything. This went on for about 2-3 days. I drank a bunch of cranberry juice and tool some vitamin c. Since I did that I have not had that feeling anymore.

My question is this: could what I had done with the hand sanitizer caused me to have some type of UTI? I read that in men it is a sign of and STI. I did get tested a week after my encounter with this women and I am waiting to hear back yet. If it were STI related would there be some type of other symptoms? I have not had any type of back or side pains (my right side does feel slightly off, like I might have done something working out), I do not have a fever, no body aches or pains, I get headaches normally so I cannot say that is from this, I have had a lot of post nasal drip (I can see it when I look in the mirror) lately which has dried my throat some.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Repeated use of hand sanitizer on the penis can lead to allergy and inflammation of the penis.UTI is usually caused due to introduction of any bacteria the urinary tract due to sexual intercourse or use of spermicidal products. White discharge from tip of penis can be seen in Chlamydia, Gonorrhea. You do not seem to have any other symptoms so STDs may not be possible. You will need testing through urethral swab tests and urine analysis. You should undergo a clinical examination and  your doctor may seek information about any partners you had sexual contact with in the past six months, as they may also need to get tested. Treatment will be specific based on the underlying cause.
Take care and regards!