Urinary Tract Infection Community
Frequent UTI's

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Frequent UTI's

I never used to get UTI's, however i got one about 9 months ago, then another 7 months ago and then i started to get them more frequently and now its come to the point where i get them every single time i have sex. I pee right away after, but i always get one. My doctor prescribed me "nitrofurantoin monohydrate" and if i take one when i first feel the symptoms, it goes away. However, i feel as though i still should not be getting them this often. Could it be more than simply an uti?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there!
UTIs are common in females compared to men due to several anatomic factors. The risk factors for recurrent UTI in females are sexual intercourse, use of spermicidal products, having a first UTI at an early age, and having a maternal history of UTIs. Inherited factors may be related to recurrent UTIs in few females. There are studies which reveal that E.coli strains are capable of causing recurrent UTI repeatedly despite appropriate treatment and disappearance of the organism. Drink plenty of water. It has been recommended that continuous or post-coital prophylaxis with low-dose antimicrobials or intermittent self-treatment with antimicrobials may be helpful in managing recurrent uncomplicated UTIs in women. You may discuss this possibility with your urologist. Further evaluation may be necessary if your urologist is suspecting structural and anatomic abnormalities of the urinary tract. Do keep us posted on how you are doing.
Take care and best regards!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there!
Take care and best regards!