Urinary Tract Infection Community
Haematuria

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Haematuria

My 11 years old daughter got following major issues in her Urine D/R :

Hemoglobin : Small (+)
Nitrite : Positive
Red Blood Cells : Occasional / HPF
Leucocytes : Occasional / HPF
Bacteria : Few

What should I do, as he is in pain.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Hemoglobin can be present in urine due to urinary tract infection, kidney stones etc. Nitrite is a by-product of bacterial growth. Normal urine does not contain measurable levels of nitrite. The presence of nitrite in a urine specimen indicates the presence of bacteria in the bladder and suggests an infection. Presence of occasional red blood cells, lecocytes may be seen in normal individuals or in patients with urinary tract infection, kidney stones etc.Any urine report has to be correlated with the clinical symptoms. Consult a Paediatrician.Tell her to drink plenty of water. If UTI is diagnosed she will need a course of antibiotics. I hope it helps.
Take care and regards!