Urinary Tract Infection Community
Is yellow discharge normal for a UTI?

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Is yellow discharge normal for a UTI?

I had been having vaginal discharge & pain that would come & go, so when it hit me the worst one night I went to my local E.R. They did a urine test on me, & I was diagnosed with a UTI, was given Septra DS & Pyridium, it has been 4 days & the discharge has only lightened up a little. Is any of this normal?

Also, would Trichomoniasis show up in a urine test?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello!
There are several causes of vaginal discharge and pain like bacterial vaginosis, chlamydia or gonorrhea, pelvic inflammatory disease, trichomoniasis, vaginitis, yeast infections, diabetes etc.In trichomoniasis there may be purulent yellow or greenish foul smelling discharge. Tests like potassium hydroxide whiff test, visual detection under a microscope and PCR may help in diagnosing Trichomonial infection. Oral metronidazole is the treatment of choice and is given either in a single high dose or in divided doses for 5-7 days. If you are not satisfied about your diagnosis or treatment it is advisable to discuss your concerns with your treating doctor. A review of your clinical symptoms and investigations may be helpful. Do write to us again.
Take care and regards!