Urinary Tract Infection Community
Lower back pain and recurring UTI/epididymitis

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

I’m male, 33y. I’ve these symptoms for about 2 years. I’ve lower back pain, mostly at the center (lumbar spine) towards the right side, though sometimes on the left too. Normally it’s not painful but only discomfort; however when I bend my lower back backward (or try to sit very straight) then there is pain, which feels like muscle or spine pain. When I walk, I’ve a feeling that my body is unbalanced and a bit tilted to the right. Also, occasionally I have UTI symptoms (urinate frequently, burning pain in the penis and pelvic/bladder area after urinating which lasts 3-10 minutes). Each period of the “UTI symptoms” lasts from 1 day to 1 week. Recently in the past 4 months, I also have recurring episodes of epididymitis on the right side (sometimes coincides with UTI symptoms) with swollen right epididymis and discomfort in the scrotum & right pelvic side. I also have slight discomfort in the right thigh, especially when the UTI/epididymitis happens.

I’ve seen 1 family doctor (my previous PCP), 1 internist (my current PCP), and 2 urologists in the past 9 months. I’ve taken tests: many urine tests, several blood tests, 2 scrotum ultrasounds, 1 bladder ultrasound, 1 kidney ultrasound, STD tests, HIV test, etc. All came back normal/negative, except the right epididymis was enlarged when it’s swollen, of course, but still in “acceptable” range. My prostate was physically examined 2 months ago and its size was normal. No kidney stone, no bacteria found, no lump, kidneys and livers function normally, etc. All the doctors had no idea what’s wrong with me; and they kept saying I’m fine because I’m young and healthy. They only prescribed Cipro whenever I had UTI symptoms or epididymitis, which I didn’t know would help or not because the symptoms would subside even without any treatment.

These symptoms are not life-threatening nor extremely painful, but severely affecting my life. My quality of life (work, personal, sex) has been going downhill because of them. I really really want to find out what the root causes are and how to cure them for good.

So my questions are:
1) What could be wrong with me? What could be the root causes of these problems?

2) I’ve been reading a lot, and I have 2 theories (which I haven’t discussed with my doctors). I’m no medical doctor, so I’d like to know if my theories make sense.

2a) Perhaps my immune system is weak, which makes me vulnerable to recurring infections (UTI and epididymitis), e.g. diabetes. My doctors didn’t think so because I’m “young and healthy.”

2b) Perhaps the root cause is a structural problem of my lumbar spine. For the last 8 years, my work involved using the computer many hours/day, and my posture was not always good. Not only the spine but also the muscles in my lower back have issues. This causes my lower back pain/discomfort. And because the lumbar spine is tightly connected with the pelvis and abdomen, the weak spine and muscles cause other problems.

I hope that someone here can shed some light on my problems. Thank you very much!