Urinary Tract Infection Community
Periurethral flora

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Periurethral flora

So I just got my lab tests back and I don't really know what "periurethral flora" is and I can't find any information on it anywhere...Can someone tell me what this means?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Natural defense of the urinary tract includes the urethral (area including the urethra) and periurethral (area surrounding the urethra) region. Normal flora in these regions usually contain lactobacilli,
coagulase negative staph, corynebacterium and streptococci that form barriers against colonization of harmful bacteria. It is best that you discuss the result of your test with your doctor for proper evaluation. Hope this helps. Take care and best regards.
I am like the above person.  I didn't know anything about this until after I got my paperwork in the process of dismissal from my exam.  It would have required another appointment date to be set and it would have been several months before I could have got back in.
I too have searched for information regarding this matter but have been unable to find any.  I am not searching for a diagnosis - only an explanation of what it is and what it means.  I am a male, 64 years old and uncircumcised.  I don't know if that makes any  difference.