Urinary Tract Infection Community
Persistant and constant burning sensation post-UTI

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

I have been diagnosed with a UTI since Dec 2011, my urologist asked me to take a culture and urine report which later confirmed this, as both tests confirmed the presence of bacteria. I was put on Augmentin 625mg and then asked to take another culture report after 14 days. The latest culture report showed no signs of the bacteria BUT I am still presenting with high frequency of urination and a constant burning sensation that persists throughout the day (the burning sensation is not necessarily isolated to when passing urine) and seems to get worse when I try and lie down in bed.

Please help as I am unaware why I am still experiencing these symptoms.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there!
Based on information provided by you your UTI seems to be recovered but since your symptoms of increased frequency and burning micturition are still persisting there are a few possibilities. Intake of diuretics, interstitial cystitis, bladder infection, nephritis, hyperthyroidism, sexually transmitted diseases can cause these above mentioned symptoms. In diabetes mellitus there is increased frequency of urine and diabetics are more prone for UTI.You will need diagnostic tests like urine analysis, urine culture, ultrasonography, cystoscopy etc. Treatment of underlying cause will be helpful. Seek medical help.
Best wishes!