Urinary Tract Infection Community
Persistent reiters syndrome ruining my life

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

I'm actually starting to feel so depressed about everything that I found myself posting here as this condition is ruining my life and destroying all my relationships inc the breakdown of my marriage. Around 6 years ago I had a huge bout of urethritis, conjunctivitis and joint pain after one random incident of oral sex. It went undiagnosed for nearly two years where the symptoms persisted and in the end I could hardly walk as the joint pain was so bad. All tests came back negative and in the end my Dr prescribed 2 weeks of zithromax at 500mg a day and everything suddenly cleared up. This totally put me off sex through fear of triggering this again and my relationship broke down. After starting a sexual relationship with another person 2 years later the symptoms came back again to the point that the joint pain in the knees was so bad again I could hardly walk. Again I walked away from this relationship as I couldn't handle the risk that I would be disabled again by having sex, although another 2 weeks on zith cured it and my then partner was treated too. That relationship broke down and here I am again another 2 years later with exactly the same symptoms after one random incident of oral sex and I feel nearly suicidal. Every time i have any sexual activity I get the same three symptoms and end up hardly being able to walk as the tendons in my knees and feet get so painful. It's affecting every aspect of my life and I've had enough. Has anyone, esp Doctors who frequent here, come across bad recurrent cases of reiters that are triggered so easily? I just feel like giving up - no sex life for 6 years simply isn't worth it and now all my Dr is prepared to do is refer me to a psychologist rather than try to treat the problem with antibiotics ... Please please has anyone had any experience of how to deal with this awful problem?