Please Help
Hello, I am currently an 18 year old female attending a very expensive and time consuming college. I have been having on and off UTIs the past year or so and I am friggen' TIRED OF IT. Only once did I actually have one of my urine tests come back positive with bacteria, so I'm really worried about what it could be. I'm so confused right now, because I'm not wanting to go the doctors anymore if It's not a UTI, I'd just be wasting money and time that I DONT HAVE. Anyway, I was feeling symptoms as usual yesterday after school. Getting home I could barely walk and had my boyfriend take me to Safeway to get AZO pills. I took AZO last night along with Ibuprofen and again this morning but I am still feeling pain. (The AZO hasn't kicked in yet) All I'm wondering is what it could be, or what I should do. I don't want to waster money on antibiotics that the docs tell me to take, then call me to stop  because there was no infection. And again, this has been happening almost once a month... The last time I had to go to the emergency room because it was burning so bad.

Anyways, ANY advice is good advice, please help! :(

UTIs are common in females compared to men due to several anatomic factors. The risk factors for recurrent UTI in females are sexual intercourse, use of spermicidal products, having a first UTI at an early age, and having a maternal history of UTIs. Most common causes are stones in kidney, changing sexual partners frequently, pregnancy, diabetes and childhood infections. The urine can also be due to retention of urine anywhere in its flow due to obstruction. Inherited factors may be related to recurrent UTIs in few females. Drink plenty of water. Continuous or post-coital prophylaxis with low-dose antimicrobials or intermittent self-treatment with antimicrobials may be helpful in managing recurrent uncomplicated UTIs in women. You may discuss this possibility with your urologist. Further evaluation may be necessary if your urologist is suspecting structural and anatomic abnormalities of the urinary tract. Do keep us posted on how you are doing.
Take care and best regards!
I have had a terrible history of bladder infections too and am finally figuring out how to prevent them and what seems to work for me!  I got so sick of going to the doctor too and even have had some terrible allergic reactions to antibiotics. Sometimes my results were postive but some were negative but still had UTI symptoms. I researched and found d-mannose with cran actin..it seems to work for a ton of people. It is pricey but has been 100% worth it for me. Since taking it I haven't had a bladder infection which is awesome since I started having about 2 a month!!! If I start to feel a little uncomfortable I just take one pill and it goes away. Being sexually active can also take part in UTIs..so if you are sexually active, here are some tips that have helped me. First I have started to go pee before and after sex. Also bought some flushable wipes to clean and freshen up after!  I also use these wipes after I go to the restroom so it reduces the risk of bacteria traveling into my vagina. This has seemed to work wonderful. If you are using lubricant, that could  help cause a UTI because I know I am very sensitive to alot of lubes. I read alot on using coconut oil as lube and found that works good for me since normal lube always irritated down there. My doctor told me azo just numbs up down there and doesn't cure the infection. And d-mannose is a natural way that actually cures it. You can always do some research on it and see what you think!:)
Hope this helps because I know how terrible bladder infections are!!