Recurring UTI's - Advice Needed
Ive been having recurring UTI's since the beginning of the year. They sometimes spread to my kidney causing an infection. I get anti-biotics, usually a 7 day course, and within a couple of days of finishing them the infection comes back. Its worth mentioning that the antibiotics do get rid of the infection after a couple of days although I always finish the course as directed.

I was referred to a Urologist and had an ultra sound scan, xray and cycstoscopy - all were fine and revealed no problems apart from the ultra sound which showed one kidney enlarged. The urologist said that this was nothing and Id probably had it since birth. He sent me away and said everything is fine, your probably just going through a bad patch, go to the gp for more antibiotics if the infection returns.

The infection has returned, as I have now become used to. I will go back to the gp and get more antibiotics but I was wondering if anyone else has this?? is this to be my life for the next 40 or 50 years? there must be something that is causing the infection??

I drink lots of water and do everything else Im supposed to. Any advice please??
Hi there!

Recurrent UTI often indicate an underlying cause, which has been ruled out in your case. With secondary issues ruled out, we could probably need to management this on medications alone, probably requiring a prolonged course of antibiotics, along with a few lifestyle changes such as taking plenty of fluids/ juices, frequent urination etc. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your primary care physician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!