Urinary Tract Infection Community
Recuurent UTI and Suggested Work-up
About This Community:

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Recuurent UTI and Suggested Work-up

Hi, I am 27 years old, female, married, 4 children under 6 years of age. Since the birth of my last child (Feb 2011) I have had 6 (yes, SIX) UTIs. My family practitioner referred me to a urologist. The FP did (I assume) dipstick tests to confirm UTI, and this last time he did a culture on the UA as well. I have no yet received the results of the culture, hopefully tomorrow. I saw the urologist of Friday and told him a short history. He did a bladder scan (don't know what the result of that was), and scheduled me for a CT cystogram for this Tuesday, and for a cystoscopy at the end of October.

I am feeling really anxious about the cystoscopy as that seems like a very invasive procedure to be "jumping" to, right off the bat. Is this a big jump? I am not feeling comfortable about doing the procedure, which is supposed to be done only under a local anesthetic (lidocaine cream), right out of the chute like this. And unfortunately, the urologist has not scheduled a follow-up appt for after the CT scan, or for before the cystoscopy. Is a cystoscopy a standard procedure, or routine, for recurrent UTI? I did not have a problem before the birth of my last infant.

And are there other less-invasive tests that could be done before a cystoscopy? Bloodwork? Ultrasound? The CT Scan will be done with a contrast medium which I have to ingest, as well as intravaneously. Oh, and is a CT cystogram the same thing as a VUCG (voiding something?)?

Also, I did test positive for Group B Strep with this last pregnancy. And while pregnant, I did have a massive UTI, that my FP Dr suspects was caused by the GBS. Also, I have had four vaginal deliveries, no epidural, no forceps, episiotomy, etc, of large babies. My last two were 10 lbs 8 oz, and 9 lbs 13 oz (and no, I did not have Gest. Diabetes). Could these last two babies have "damaged" the urinary tract/bladder placement, etc in such a way as to cause recurrent UTI?

Are there any other questions that I need to ask my urologist?

I know this is probably all over the place, but I am hoping that I you may be able to follow and answer for me. Thank you so much!