Recuurent UTI and Suggested Work-up
Hi, I am 27 years old, female, married, 4 children under 6 years of age. Since the birth of my last child (Feb 2011) I have had 6 (yes, SIX) UTIs. My family practitioner referred me to a urologist. The FP did (I assume) dipstick tests to confirm UTI, and this last time he did a culture on the UA as well. I have no yet received the results of the culture, hopefully tomorrow. I saw the urologist of Friday and told him a short history. He did a bladder scan (don't know what the result of that was), and scheduled me for a CT cystogram for this Tuesday, and for a cystoscopy at the end of October.

I am feeling really anxious about the cystoscopy as that seems like a very invasive procedure to be "jumping" to, right off the bat. Is this a big jump? I am not feeling comfortable about doing the procedure, which is supposed to be done only under a local anesthetic (lidocaine cream), right out of the chute like this. And unfortunately, the urologist has not scheduled a follow-up appt for after the CT scan, or for before the cystoscopy. Is a cystoscopy a standard procedure, or routine, for recurrent UTI? I did not have a problem before the birth of my last infant.

And are there other less-invasive tests that could be done before a cystoscopy? Bloodwork? Ultrasound? The CT Scan will be done with a contrast medium which I have to ingest, as well as intravaneously. Oh, and is a CT cystogram the same thing as a VUCG (voiding something?)?

Also, I did test positive for Group B Strep with this last pregnancy. And while pregnant, I did have a massive UTI, that my FP Dr suspects was caused by the GBS. Also, I have had four vaginal deliveries, no epidural, no forceps, episiotomy, etc, of large babies. My last two were 10 lbs 8 oz, and 9 lbs 13 oz (and no, I did not have Gest. Diabetes). Could these last two babies have "damaged" the urinary tract/bladder placement, etc in such a way as to cause recurrent UTI?

Are there any other questions that I need to ask my urologist?

I know this is probably all over the place, but I am hoping that I you may be able to follow and answer for me. Thank you so much!
Does anybody have any answers, suggestions or advice?
Recurrent urine infections could be due to various reasons. Most common cause is stones in kidney which is blocking urine pathway. Other causes are changing sexual partners frequently, pregnancy, diabetes and of course childhood infections. The urine can also be due to retention of urine anywhere in its flow due to obstruction. The obstruction can be due to abnormality of structures since birth, stones or diseases like tumors.

Before going in for a contrast CT and cystoscopy, you can go in for a CT Scan kidneys and urinary bladder. Also get your blood sugar levels checked. If the symptoms persist then you may need to have a cystogram / cystoscopy done.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

i have reoccuring utis, all my 3 children have been large. my largest was my 3 yr old daughter she was 10lb 5. ive been suffering utis and groin pain and right side back pain since my youngest was born 2 years ago, utis and pain more frequent in the last 7 months. I do have a kidney stone and am due for a renal ct scan next week.. whats your out come?? xxx
drink one to 2 eight oz glasses of cranberry juice every day, and there should be no more urinary tract infections.  a urologist told me this and it WORKS.
Don't worry about having a cystoscopy exam.  If the urologist uses a local
anesthetic consider yourself lucky.  Every Urologist I've seen and even the Urogyncologis has done this procedure without any anesthetic being used.
I never knew that it could be done with one until I went to a Major Medcial
Center and the Urologist there used it on me before he did the Cystoscopy.  What a blessing.  From now on I will always ask the Urologist if he will use it and if his answer is no I will find another doctor.
I believe it's their theory that female do not need this act of kindness because their urethia's are shorter then a mans.  I say try doing it to your next male patient without anesthetic first before you do it to me.