Urinary Tract Infection Community
UTI Symptoms but Not a UTI, Not a STD, then what is it?

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Hello, I'm a healthy 22 year old female with no history of STI/STDs. Twice recently, however, after intercourse I obtained what I thought to be a UTI. Bladder/lower abdominal discomfort, frequent urges to urinate (but often unable to actually to do so, or very little would come out), burning at the opening of the urethra when peeing, etc. I have had UTIs before, so I figured this was what it was, and went to my doctor for antibiotics. However, I was told that there was no sign of any bacteria in my urine sample, even after culturing it (along with no STDs, no pregnancy, and all those other commonly assumed causes when a 22 year old sexually active female is involved in just about anything in the medical community). They gave me antibiotics anyway, since i was in extreme discomfort, along with some pill resembling AZO (over the counter bladder numb-er). I took the full course, but the discomfort did not go away for another week or so. When I tried to have sex again, nearly a month later, this happened all over again. I've never experienced anything like this before, and I'm really at quite a loss. It's upsetting and certainly disrupts and affects my quality of life. What could this possibly be?
Hello, I'm not sure if this advice will help. It's more of a theory that I have.
I suffered really badly with similar symptoms to yours about 10yrs ago. They got so bad that it was excrutiatingly painful to pee and at times I would pass blood and other times have the urge to pee but only a dribble would come out. My husband and I were very sexually active and worked out that it always happened after my husband had oral sex with me. He improved his oral hygiene by regular flossing and swilling with an antibacterial mouthwash, we abstained from oral for a while and hey presto it cleared up and I haven't had any problems since.
I hope this helps you. I don't know if any urologists have come up with this theory or if noone has ever considered it but I'm convinced now that poor oral hygiene is a contributing factor to UTI type symptoms.
It is very likely that you have chronic cystitis which is a chronic low level UTI that does now always show on standard UA, since it basically is a low level bacteria that live in
your bladder wall etc.

You may also have Interstitial Cystitis.  The symptoms of these are the same and only a good urologist with time can help determine which maybe causing your symptoms both have increased symptoms after intercourse.   It helps to ask to make sure the doctor you are going to is familiar with Interstitial Cystitis as well as asking if they treat complicated chronic cystitis.  Chronic Cystitis can be cured in time with long term antibiotic treatment that will keep you on a low dose antibiotic.  Do your symptoms improve or disappear when you are on antibiotics? It may take trying different ones since they can also be resistant to what you are taken.  Standard cultures are designed to find acute not chronic infections!

There is no cure for IC however there are many treatments that help control the IC symptoms.  I have IC and am an IC support group leader Our support group is set up mainly to network patients and medical practitioners throughout Missouri and Arkansas, but I have tried to put a lot of articles on the board to help any patient as well. Our group is MOARK IC.

Either way your having bladder pain right now, and need help!
The first step like I said is to find a good urologist that treats both of the things listed above.

Also the Elmeron website has a questionarie that test you the likelihood that you might have IC.  Now keep in mind again they symptoms are the same but taking this questionarie to your physician can help him in the diagnosis process.  It basically lets them know they need to consider IC.

There are several great sites/organizations that can help you learn more about IC
and the self help and info can help control your symptoms while you are getting treatment if it is chronic cystitis as well.

You can pm me for the links and information on these if you would like them!

Now in the meantime... here are some self help things you can try to get you through,  get a water bottle with spray top and rinse yourself off every time you go to the bathroom... you can put a little baking soda in it as well since it is soothing.

You can use the AZO The is another one on the market called Cystex too.  Check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure these are OK for you to try. Ice sometimes also feels really good and sometimes heat, but not too hot to increase inflammation.  Soaking a warm not too hot bath, with baking soda in the water helps a lot too.  I know when I was first diagnoised or in the process I spent a lot of time in tub... not that easy with 3 that close in age but they are also not babies any more either and can understand mom is not feeling well!  

I also found a natural herb that helped my pain issues, it is called Nerveblend Sp-14 by Solaray.  Meadow brook carries it here in town, I just pain I think $7 for 100 capsules.  This helps me rest etc.  Discuss with your doctor any medication even herbal you try to make sure they do not interact with your other medications.

Also drink water to keep things diluted!  Many also take either baking soda in water 1 tsp I think, ( make sure it is OK if you are on heart meds etc.)  I capsulized it myself and take it when my urine is real acidic  The other thing you can take is called Prelief.  It is over the counter.. as well and somehow helps to make your foods less acidic too

Diet is a big thing and avoiding acids foods as well as preservatives is important. The bladder is irritated and needs time to heal.  There are several good articles on the websites above on diet that will help a lot..

Hope this helps!

Shelly

I am sorry to say that we share similar symptoms almost to the tee. I have ben diagnosed with IC, vulvodynia, etc. Nothing seemed to help except antibiotics and those until I had sex again. Unfortunately, I started to have these problems 3 years ago and my symptoms have improved but not disappeared. I now have sex with condoms, which helps substantially. I also try to drink enormous amounts of water. I now use Dreft or any detergent designed for baby's. I hope you find relief and I hope info this might help.
Hi!

I am having the exact same problem. I had a yeast infection, which is normal.. I was taking antibiotics at the time and the doctor said that can cause them. So I used monistat and it cleared up. I then had sex, and now I feel like I have to pee ALL the time. Even when there is nothing to let out. I knew it wasn't a UTI because I've had several in the past but the doctor insisted on taking the test. It was negative. I also have a bit of discharge but a normal amount I've always had. So he assumes it's a yeast infection again. He gave me a pill for it because I told him I really didn't like using the monistat. I still have to pee. I knew it wasn't a yeast infection and everytime I go to the doctor, I'm just told it's something (that it isn't) and sent on my way. I'm reallly sick of it!
I don't know what to do, I barely get any sleep, I lie there thinking I have to pee the whole time. And there is pressure as well.

What should I do? How do I get a doctor to consider this as something more? Does this also sound like a Chronic Cystits? and are there any home remedies I can do until I have something to help me?
Please help!!
I have the same problems. I get it right after I have sex and it last anywhere from a day to a week. It's not really painful but its just extremely uncompfortable to feel like you constantly have to go pee. Ive done research but i havent gone to the doctor but i used to have this problem when i first started having sex and i had it for atleast six months every single time i would have sex. then out of nowhere it just went away and i didnt get the symptoms anymore, but now recently it came back with is a complete bummer because i would always get worried when i went to the bathroom if i would have that feeling and bam it just came back. if anyone has info please tell me because i'd like to think it's all in my head and its not really there but it seems like a lot of people have this problem.  i just want to know what exactly it is and how i can prevent and fix it:(
This is exactly what is happening to me right now . The last time I had sex was about 2 weeks ago and for about the last week I've had the constant urge to pee after I urinate. I dread going to the bathroom because I'm afraid the sensation will start up again. It's seriously driving me insane. It makese anxious and hot. I really don't know how much more of this I can take.
Did you test for herpes?
There's something called honeymoon cystitis, also known as honeymoon urethritis, which develops after you have sex with your partner and his "appendage" is dirty. It usually occurs after sex for awhile then disappears until the next time you have intercourse. The bacteria from fingers or genitalia can set off honeymoon cystitis. A popular "cure" for this has been cranberry juice because the naturally occurring sugar calling D-Mannose, which smooths the lining of the bladder and urethra, making it more difficult for the bacteria to cling to the lining.

To prevent honeymoon cystitis, urinate after intercourse to clear the urethra of foreign bacteria. It is also helpful to make sure good hygiene is maintained by each partner.

Although this may not be the proper "diagnosis", it wouldn't hurt to try unless you have interstitial cystitis (which is a different matter, but I highly doubt you have, since it seems that intercourse sets off your bladder).
I get this problem a lot especially after my gall bladder was removed. Make sure that your not constipated in anyway, drink lots of fluids and cranberry juice. Get a liquid supplement of milk thistle. It detoxes the liver and kidneys and I have had great relief from taking it. It helps me to go to the toilet care free and not having to wait ages for the feeling to go. I swear by milk thistle. Also remember if your taking strong pain killers like diclofenac, diazapam, pethamine etc this can have an effect on your urinary system as the body is being told to ignore pains etc.  
Ok, I'm a 17 year old girl, yes I'm sexaully active but I just got out of 1 and 9 month relationship, I haven't had sex or done anything sexuall in the last 3 weeks, I also went to doctors and was treated for std, they told me the shot I recived that it will cure any std I may have and even a bladder infection, I have these same problems, what should I do.
I had these symptoms and got tested for Ureaplasma. I was positive. Took the arithromyacin/doxycycline and was pain free for over a year. When it came back, went back to the doctor, got another round and have been fine ever since. I always thought it was a UTI and when it was negative, I got no help from doctors. It was my universities health center that brought it to my attention.
Same problem for 5 months. Finally found a doctor who thought it might be a bacteria imbalance (too many antibiotics for UTIs). Take Acidophilus probiotic. You're welcome.

I had the same symptoms specially after intercourse, after many many years of pain, visiting doctors antibiotics etc I found the solution myself, first of all after intercourse wash yourself very well you need to do that so you avoid the infection but if happens squeeze a fresh lemon in to a glass of water and drink it THAT was THE ONLY way to get rid of it very fast I suffer from urine infections from the age of 3..for 30 years nobody gave me a solution but the LEMON saved me!!! (if the pain continues repeat the lemon/water during the day you will see a HUGE difference also drink it as a precaution will clean your urethra)