UTI Symptoms but Not a UTI, Not a STD, then what is it?
Hello, I'm a healthy 22 year old female with no history of STI/STDs. Twice recently, however, after intercourse I obtained what I thought to be a UTI. Bladder/lower abdominal discomfort, frequent urges to urinate (but often unable to actually to do so, or very little would come out), burning at the opening of the urethra when peeing, etc. I have had UTIs before, so I figured this was what it was, and went to my doctor for antibiotics. However, I was told that there was no sign of any bacteria in my urine sample, even after culturing it (along with no STDs, no pregnancy, and all those other commonly assumed causes when a 22 year old sexually active female is involved in just about anything in the medical community). They gave me antibiotics anyway, since i was in extreme discomfort, along with some pill resembling AZO (over the counter bladder numb-er). I took the full course, but the discomfort did not go away for another week or so. When I tried to have sex again, nearly a month later, this happened all over again. I've never experienced anything like this before, and I'm really at quite a loss. It's upsetting and certainly disrupts and affects my quality of life. What could this possibly be?
Hello, I'm not sure if this advice will help. It's more of a theory that I have.
I suffered really badly with similar symptoms to yours about 10yrs ago. They got so bad that it was excrutiatingly painful to pee and at times I would pass blood and other times have the urge to pee but only a dribble would come out. My husband and I were very sexually active and worked out that it always happened after my husband had oral sex with me. He improved his oral hygiene by regular flossing and swilling with an antibacterial mouthwash, we abstained from oral for a while and hey presto it cleared up and I haven't had any problems since.
I hope this helps you. I don't know if any urologists have come up with this theory or if noone has ever considered it but I'm convinced now that poor oral hygiene is a contributing factor to UTI type symptoms.
It is very likely that you have chronic cystitis which is a chronic low level UTI that does now always show on standard UA, since it basically is a low level bacteria that live in
your bladder wall etc.

You may also have Interstitial Cystitis.  The symptoms of these are the same and only a good urologist with time can help determine which maybe causing your symptoms both have increased symptoms after intercourse.   It helps to ask to make sure the doctor you are going to is familiar with Interstitial Cystitis as well as asking if they treat complicated chronic cystitis.  Chronic Cystitis can be cured in time with long term antibiotic treatment that will keep you on a low dose antibiotic.  Do your symptoms improve or disappear when you are on antibiotics? It may take trying different ones since they can also be resistant to what you are taken.  Standard cultures are designed to find acute not chronic infections!

There is no cure for IC however there are many treatments that help control the IC symptoms.  I have IC and am an IC support group leader Our support group is set up mainly to network patients and medical practitioners throughout Missouri and Arkansas, but I have tried to put a lot of articles on the board to help any patient as well. Our group is MOARK IC.

Either way your having bladder pain right now, and need help!
The first step like I said is to find a good urologist that treats both of the things listed above.

Also the Elmeron website has a questionarie that test you the likelihood that you might have IC.  Now keep in mind again they symptoms are the same but taking this questionarie to your physician can help him in the diagnosis process.  It basically lets them know they need to consider IC.

There are several great sites/organizations that can help you learn more about IC
and the self help and info can help control your symptoms while you are getting treatment if it is chronic cystitis as well.

You can pm me for the links and information on these if you would like them!

Now in the meantime... here are some self help things you can try to get you through,  get a water bottle with spray top and rinse yourself off every time you go to the bathroom... you can put a little baking soda in it as well since it is soothing.

You can use the AZO The is another one on the market called Cystex too.  Check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure these are OK for you to try. Ice sometimes also feels really good and sometimes heat, but not too hot to increase inflammation.  Soaking a warm not too hot bath, with baking soda in the water helps a lot too.  I know when I was first diagnoised or in the process I spent a lot of time in tub... not that easy with 3 that close in age but they are also not babies any more either and can understand mom is not feeling well!  

I also found a natural herb that helped my pain issues, it is called Nerveblend Sp-14 by Solaray.  Meadow brook carries it here in town, I just pain I think $7 for 100 capsules.  This helps me rest etc.  Discuss with your doctor any medication even herbal you try to make sure they do not interact with your other medications.

Also drink water to keep things diluted!  Many also take either baking soda in water 1 tsp I think, ( make sure it is OK if you are on heart meds etc.)  I capsulized it myself and take it when my urine is real acidic  The other thing you can take is called Prelief.  It is over the counter.. as well and somehow helps to make your foods less acidic too

Diet is a big thing and avoiding acids foods as well as preservatives is important. The bladder is irritated and needs time to heal.  There are several good articles on the websites above on diet that will help a lot..

Hope this helps!

Shelly

I am sorry to say that we share similar symptoms almost to the tee. I have ben diagnosed with IC, vulvodynia, etc. Nothing seemed to help except antibiotics and those until I had sex again. Unfortunately, I started to have these problems 3 years ago and my symptoms have improved but not disappeared. I now have sex with condoms, which helps substantially. I also try to drink enormous amounts of water. I now use Dreft or any detergent designed for baby's. I hope you find relief and I hope info this might help.
Hi!

I am having the exact same problem. I had a yeast infection, which is normal.. I was taking antibiotics at the time and the doctor said that can cause them. So I used monistat and it cleared up. I then had sex, and now I feel like I have to pee ALL the time. Even when there is nothing to let out. I knew it wasn't a UTI because I've had several in the past but the doctor insisted on taking the test. It was negative. I also have a bit of discharge but a normal amount I've always had. So he assumes it's a yeast infection again. He gave me a pill for it because I told him I really didn't like using the monistat. I still have to pee. I knew it wasn't a yeast infection and everytime I go to the doctor, I'm just told it's something (that it isn't) and sent on my way. I'm reallly sick of it!
I don't know what to do, I barely get any sleep, I lie there thinking I have to pee the whole time. And there is pressure as well.

What should I do? How do I get a doctor to consider this as something more? Does this also sound like a Chronic Cystits? and are there any home remedies I can do until I have something to help me?
Please help!!
Just reading this gets me teary eyed because this is exactly how i feel I'm really frustrated with the doctors .
I have the same problems. I get it right after I have sex and it last anywhere from a day to a week. It's not really painful but its just extremely uncompfortable to feel like you constantly have to go pee. Ive done research but i havent gone to the doctor but i used to have this problem when i first started having sex and i had it for atleast six months every single time i would have sex. then out of nowhere it just went away and i didnt get the symptoms anymore, but now recently it came back with is a complete bummer because i would always get worried when i went to the bathroom if i would have that feeling and bam it just came back. if anyone has info please tell me because i'd like to think it's all in my head and its not really there but it seems like a lot of people have this problem.  i just want to know what exactly it is and how i can prevent and fix it:(
This is exactly what is happening to me right now . The last time I had sex was about 2 weeks ago and for about the last week I've had the constant urge to pee after I urinate. I dread going to the bathroom because I'm afraid the sensation will start up again. It's seriously driving me insane. It makese anxious and hot. I really don't know how much more of this I can take.
Did you test for herpes?
There's something called honeymoon cystitis, also known as honeymoon urethritis, which develops after you have sex with your partner and his "appendage" is dirty. It usually occurs after sex for awhile then disappears until the next time you have intercourse. The bacteria from fingers or genitalia can set off honeymoon cystitis. A popular "cure" for this has been cranberry juice because the naturally occurring sugar calling D-Mannose, which smooths the lining of the bladder and urethra, making it more difficult for the bacteria to cling to the lining.

To prevent honeymoon cystitis, urinate after intercourse to clear the urethra of foreign bacteria. It is also helpful to make sure good hygiene is maintained by each partner.

Although this may not be the proper "diagnosis", it wouldn't hurt to try unless you have interstitial cystitis (which is a different matter, but I highly doubt you have, since it seems that intercourse sets off your bladder).
I get this problem a lot especially after my gall bladder was removed. Make sure that your not constipated in anyway, drink lots of fluids and cranberry juice. Get a liquid supplement of milk thistle. It detoxes the liver and kidneys and I have had great relief from taking it. It helps me to go to the toilet care free and not having to wait ages for the feeling to go. I swear by milk thistle. Also remember if your taking strong pain killers like diclofenac, diazapam, pethamine etc this can have an effect on your urinary system as the body is being told to ignore pains etc.  
Ok, I'm a 17 year old girl, yes I'm sexaully active but I just got out of 1 and 9 month relationship, I haven't had sex or done anything sexuall in the last 3 weeks, I also went to doctors and was treated for std, they told me the shot I recived that it will cure any std I may have and even a bladder infection, I have these same problems, what should I do.
I had these symptoms and got tested for Ureaplasma. I was positive. Took the arithromyacin/doxycycline and was pain free for over a year. When it came back, went back to the doctor, got another round and have been fine ever since. I always thought it was a UTI and when it was negative, I got no help from doctors. It was my universities health center that brought it to my attention.
Same problem for 5 months. Finally found a doctor who thought it might be a bacteria imbalance (too many antibiotics for UTIs). Take Acidophilus probiotic. You're welcome.

I had the same symptoms specially after intercourse, after many many years of pain, visiting doctors antibiotics etc I found the solution myself, first of all after intercourse wash yourself very well you need to do that so you avoid the infection but if happens squeeze a fresh lemon in to a glass of water and drink it THAT was THE ONLY way to get rid of it very fast I suffer from urine infections from the age of 3..for 30 years nobody gave me a solution but the LEMON saved me!!! (if the pain continues repeat the lemon/water during the day you will see a HUGE difference also drink it as a precaution will clean your urethra)
I think the ultimate cure for your problem will be some natural treatment because I think you are suffering with UTI and only natural treatment will help you to get permanent relief from your problem.
Hello! I was just wondering if you ever found a solution for this? I have what it sound s the EXACT problem you described and it's unbelievable frustrating to the point of tears. Any help you could recommend would be amazing!
you probably have pelvic floor dysfunction- your pelvic floor muscles (which surround your bladder) may be tightening around your bladder and making you feel a sense of urgency. the tightness can be brought on by sexual intercourse, a UTI or even regular stress. go to a doctor who specializes in pelvic floor pain- i had the same thing and kept getting negative UTI tests until i was diagnosed. the treatment is oatmeal baths after sex, some muscle relaxers and some yoga moves for pelvic floor relaxation.

hope this helps!
I was thrown into early menopause after chemo and started getting UTIs after sex no matter how clean and careful my husband and I were.  My Ob/Gyn gave me a Rx of antibiotics and told me to take 1 pill immediately after each time we have sex. Works like a charm.  No more UTIs. Now I started seeing a Uro-gyn bc I feel like I have a UTI but I don't.  No clear diagnosis yet.  
Hi, everyone. Like most of you, I've had a history of chronic UTI's, bladder infections, and kidney infections. I could go on to talk about the tumor they found in my bladder that was causing a blockage, but unless you're urine is the color of cherry cider, you shouldn't worry about that.

What I wanted to share was an old, super effective, natural remedy that my mother, grandmother, on down the line have used. CORN SILK TEA

You can save the cornsilk from the ears of corn you husk and set them out to dry flat on a paper towel. Start collecting it and build up  a good stash. (Or, if you have an herb shop in town, it's totally cheap to purchase. You can also get it in capsule form)

Cornsilk is exceptionally high in potassium and has the brilliant characteristic of grabbing and flushing out bacteria, mucus build up, and gunk. It tastes delicious with honey, and is warm and soothing when you feel sick and horrible.

I use about a 1/4 cup (fat pinch) of cornsilk in 4 cups filtered water and set to boil. A similar herb that you can add in for some extra antioxidant punch is cilantro. just add a sprig or two and boil the crap out of it. I use a cup sized strainer and just pour directly into a mug. Slap the cornsilk back into the pan and let it sit. I add  more water to this same brew a few more times bringing it back to a rolling boil, until my last cup of tea is a very light amber. By doing this I ensure i'm getting every nanogram of those nutrients, but that I'm also getting nice and hydrated in the process.

This tea is great as a daily/nightly preventative, or in high concentration at the onset of a UTI. It will cure you once for sure. After that, those bacteria aren't as easy to get rid of. However, if you maintain good urinary tract health, you should be fine for a very long time.

Supplementing with probiotics also helps for daily care and maintenance for long term health.

There are also some great natural supplements that I have found to be very useful and effective, like a combo cranberry, ursa urvi, cornsilk capsule.

Have any of you heard of, or tried D-Mannose? This is a wonderful discovery I made a few years ago. Very effective for flushing and ridding the body of bacteria and toxins. Look it up!

Oh, and eliminate ibuprophen from your medicine cabinet. It's really harsh on your kidneys and urinary tract. It's no bueno.

And remember, if a doctor tells you it's not an infection and you know darn well what an infection feels like, smells like, and looks like, go to a different doctor.

Make sure they do a culture and test for antibiotic resistant strains. Ask for a copy of the lab results.

Lastly, **Ask to be checked for BV.** BV Infections feels practically identical. And if that's the case, then you didn't have to wait 10 days in discomfort to find out the UTI antibiotics didn't work. There's an Rx that can handle both of those strains at once.

For first class care and treatment, tell your doctor to be sure to include a  couple Rx's for Diflucan so you don't have to come back in two weeks complaining of a yeast infection.

Live long and prosper!
Hello, i have had sex in January of this year, after doing so two weeks later i had symptoms of UTI. I went to the doc several times about it and nuthin help. I finally decided to get an urine test done and a culture. They came back negative. I was tested for STDs and they came bk negative as well. I was tested positive for strep Group B, got medication and the problem still remains. The doc sid i would get yeast from the strep medication that could cause the uti aswell. Could soeone please help me because i am confused and i am very miserable and i dont wanna life in this misery anymore.
This is a common prob for me although it's been a year since my last episode until last week just looking for some home remedies that work
I have been having much of the same pain for almost 2 months now.  I have not had sex in over a month, but still have the pains.  I tried flushing with cranberry juice and water.  I went to a walk in clinic for antibiotics for UTI, my general doc (who sent me for an ultra sound), a urologist (who sent me for xrays) and my gynocologist (who sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound and did a hysteroscopy).  Everything looks "beautiful" but hurts like hell on and off throughout the day.  I feel it hurts the worst in the evenings.  Did anyone that has written here find a diagnosis, cause, and/or cure?? HELP!!
I am having the exact same thing as we speak at this very moment has been going on for 6 weeks on and off have gone to the doctor and have gotten so many antibiotics does not burn when I go just pressure and pain ready to scream I have no idea what it is the azo test I buy in the store comes up positive for an infection
This is exactly how I feel its awful.
I am about to embark on all the same tests that you are going through because I don't know what else to do mine is worse at night as well
My gp told me to go to John Hopkins and search bladder irritants (there is a long list).  Discontinue use of all on list and slowly introduce items. When flare up occurs, item you have ingested in past few days is irritating blatter and upset bladder irritates urethra.  
I am glad to hear I am not the only one going through this issue.  It is very frustrating when you go to the doctor with UTI symptoms and they tell you no UTI.  I have a history of kidney stones going back 4 years now and since then I have microscopic blood in my urine.  Saw a Urologist about it, he did urine tests also did cystoscopy and I even had xray and ct scan of my bladder and kidneys.  Nothing is found ever.  But why do I have the urge to go like a UTI?  I mentioned is it overactive bladder, I am told no, no one ever brings up cystitis, which from what I have read, this sounds like it.  I just had another urine test done this week because of the running to the bathroom, it just came back negative again.  Someone mentioned checking out what irritates the bladder, I will check that out.  Sometimes this happens too after sex, not all the time, but if I have sex a lot.  I feel for all you women who are going through the same thing.  Why can't we get some answers???
I have a cystoscopy appointment on Monday and
im scared they wont find anything because I've also done a ultra sound xray and CT scan.
This sounds like Interstitial cystitis (IC) Bladder pain syndrome( BPS)
I've had over 20 bladder infections in my life, and have been getting them since I was a child. I don't have pain after sex, but I do feel the pelvic pressure for about 30min-1hr after. I've had flair ups in the past few years to where it feels like a bladder infection, but sometimes it's not. I had a "raging bladder infection" last month and took my full course of antibiotics. Of course had to take 2 different kinds because I always get the call a few days later from the doctor saying that the lab test showed my type if bacteria is resistant to the antibiotic they prescribed (happens every time). After antibiotics were done, I was better for about a week. Then, the pain/discomfort returned. I know many women feel the urgency to urinate and have to run to the bathroom or they have an accident. Well, I only feel pelvic pressure, or discomfort in my urethra area. I don't feel urgency, unless I'm drinking many liters of water. I mainly just feel the feeling of fullness, and discomfort, even if my bladder is empty. I do try to drink ALOT of water to urinate often, because if I don't, the pain and discomfort gets worse. There are times I feel like my bladder doesn't empty completely, then the next day, I'm going a lot and it's flowing great! It's so frustrating! I've noticed caffeine definitely irritates my bladder, or sugary, carbonated drinks. Also, spicy foods. Not sure if it's an important factor but, my gallbladder was removed years ago. I have an appointment scheduled for a urogynocologist in a few weeks. Hopefully, they can help me out, and not waste my time. Do any of you have any suggestions, or ideas?? Thanks!
I've always gotten UTIs I'm used to them and the past couple months now it feels like I have been getting these UTI symptoms more frequently, it never quite goes away and when I go to the doctors, results show up negative for a UTI
It's so frustratingly uncomfortable :( I hope one of us finds an answer !

Hello, I am 17 and also have this issue. It doesn't just happen for me after sex but i do think that it triggers it. I have a lot of other health complications and one of my doctors said that the "uti feeling" can be associated with various auto immune disorders. I've given up antibiotics and other treatments because none of them work well or efficiently. I'm in school and work full time, I don't have time to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes for 5 minutes screaming in pain. Just want some answers and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this
I've had the same thing chronic uti's I've had them since I was real little I've been to urologist after urologist also a neurologist ,a uti specialist, and also infectious disease doctors , no one can figure out why I keep getting them I hate going to the hospital but I get them so bad I have fever,chills,nausea,diareah, back,side, and bladder pain, body aches and migraines from not being able to eat or drink in a week I'm just miserable. Most times when I get them they go into my kidneys and cause the kidney and yeast infections too, I get them cleared up and about a week or 2 later it's back again I am beyond frustrated and hate feeling this way.  I'm in the hospital now again I have to get Iv antibiotics, pain medicine, nausea medicine, and I'm dehydrated and anemic too. I wonder if I could have I.C too. This is keeping me from holding down jobs, going places etc... They send me home on medicines but I finish them and it's back again     I will be 39 next month and I feel like I am 70. I have another urologist appointment when I feel better to do a cytoscope in the bladder and go from there. I also have complications from a surgery I have gastroparesis, and IBS  and fibromyalgia, ..my body hates me.    I will update everyone after my appointments  good luck ....if you need someone who going thru same thing to talk to I'm here.    Good luck everyone

My 13 year old daughter is experiencing some of these same issues. I just read about BPS aka bladder pain syndrom. My daughter is an EDS patient. The nephrologist mentioned that EDS patients tend to have bladder issues. Of the antibiotic doesn't seem to help we're off to a Urologist for a scope.
Hi. I'm 15 and I'm kinda experiencing the same thing. This started after loosing my virginity. I don't want to talk to anyone about it and it's not so bad but starting to get worse. I just wanna know what is so I can do some more research??
one early morning I woke up with terrible pain in my left lower back (around my kidney). this pain was like pain I've never had before. I'm 14 years old, not sexually active and I've been through MANY painful experiences, period cycles & procedures etc. this pain was SO bad I was crawling on my knees to get ahold of Advil and clenching onto things while making my way to my parents room and explain to them what was happening. they took me to the ER but by the time I got there the Advil had already kicked in. the doctor explained to me it was just my Colen or something inside cramping up... obviously that wasn't the case. I had the pain the next morning, again it woke me up. this time Advil didn't touch the pain what so ever. I was on the ground crying for HOURS before it went away. it later came back that night and the following morning. I went to my normal doctor and she referred me to the hospital to get an abdominal ultrasound. seconds after getting up from the table where they did this, I started to get this spasm inside of the left side of my stomach. it felt like something inside was being squeezed together and then went back to normal. it did this a few times and each squeeze lasted a few seconds and then it wouldn't come back for a few hours. I got the ultrasound results back and they found nothing. NOTHING. now, (5 days later) I haven't had any of that same pain happen again- BUT now have new pain. in a different location. this time it hurts to pee in my lower stomach and outside. it feels exactly like a UTI/ bladder infection which I have had before. sometimes I can barely go but it hurts so bad and stings tons. I don't know if this is related or not to what I had going on about a week ago. I went to my doctor SURE that this was a bladder infection but they found nothing. no trace of a UTI. I'm in so much pain and the discomfort of not knowing what is happening to me at such a young age is almost as worrisome. I'm beyond frustrated that I have no diagnosis and do not know what to do.
Hey everyone! I've been looking for a solution to my problem, feels like I have a uti but I don't, constant discomfort and the need to pee. I have come across so many of these boards of people informing others of their symptoms, but I rarely see anyone coming back to offer advice or solutions. I used to get UTIs all the time, I had been told to take cranberry pills every day and I just blew it off thinking that it would be a waste of money, since I had tried to take them when I had a uti and they never seemed to do any good. Once I finally listening and took a couple capsules daily I realized that I hadn't had a uti, or the yucky, uncomfortable and painful feeling of having one when I really don't in months and months! Stupidly, I ran out last month and kept forgetting to get more and now I have the irritation, feels like a uti but doesn't. :/ a few years ago my mom showed me a trick, when she was irritated but wasn't really a uti shed dab a little Monistat 7 or 3 in the area and the infection would be gone the next day. It worked for me!! A few times, I was super excited. Unfortunatly it's not working for this time around, which is why I'm searching for more answers. Hopefully this advice can help a few who are looking for relief though! :)
Oh yeah, and you could be really sensitive down there like I am. I can't use dryer sheets on my underwear- that's a huge one! Use all or tide free and clear and no dryer sheets! No scented laundry soap. No scented soap down there, I only use dove sensitive skin but vagisil wash for sensitive skin is good too, the kind with absolutely no fragrance. No scented wipes or scented femanine  wipes. Some of these things people don't think of but when I stopped using dryer sheets it made a huge difference!
Hi, So I'm going to just say, my symptoms and then explain what I found.. after hours of researching. I feel like I am getting a UTI everyday. Night time is the worst. I take cranberry tablets, and drink tons or water. But, I constantly feel like I have to pee, and when I do its not much at all. It affects my marriage, and my work.. and is extremely frustrating. Google interstitial cystitis. This is exactly what I have. There is no cure..and all you can do is manage your symptoms. Start taking claritin to relieve the urgency feeling and most importantly keep taking cranberry tabletz, i recommend the AZO tablets and drink plenty of water. People who have this.. when they do get a UTI it is much worse than when a normal person experiences it. I hope this helps. Good luck everyone.
To offer a bit of hope to those of you suffering right now:  Genitourinary symptoms (burning during/after urination of urethra and/or vagina, bladder fullness, frequency, urgency etc) can be caused by several things that are not UTI.  Please don't panic if your results for UTI are negative.  You will not have to suffer like this forever!

1.  Go back to your doctor.  Ask for a new urine culture to be done (this will be in a lab) and ask them to check for ureaplasma (a rarer cause for UTI which does not always get tested for in the initial lab).  Also ask your doctor to take a swab to test for STDs (improbable, but possible) and especially for Bacterial Vaginosis.  BV can have the EXACT same symptoms as UTI, but with a very different cause and treatment.  Do not let them tell you offhand that it's not BV if you don't have discharge. BV does not always present with discharge.

2.  In the meantime, you can try some home remedies that will soothe delicate tissue:  hot bath with baking soda, cold compresses, salt water bath, honey or yogurt as a topical.  (Do a search for vaginal itching and burning, but avoid certain things that are very acidic, because though they will help if it is BV, they will hurt if it is bladder inflammation).  

3.  Immediately start on a good probiotic.  This will help your body heal from the antibiotics, which eliminate both good and bad bacteria.  If you can tolerate the taste, one tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in a small glass of water will help to alkalize your body (acidity will make urine burn more).  

4.  If the answer comes back as ureaplasma:  Doctor will prescribe another antibiotic (like Doxycycline).  Continue the probiotic (SO important!)!  Consider adding some supplements to soothe and help your bladder heal itself (search this out, but some are marshmallow root, milk thistle, corn silk tea, quercitin, etc)

5.  If the answer comes back BV:  Doctor will prescribe either an antibiotic (Like Metronidazole/Flagyl or Clindamycin - NOTE: Flagyl is VERY strong and not well tolerated by some, look it up!), or a topical gel or ovule (suppository).  Note that these may or may not completely clear your infection.  Don't panic if it doesn't!  Search instead for natural cures which most sufferers have found to be exceptionally superior than antibiotics (some include Vitamin C (most popular) peroxide treatments (2nd) and others of varying efficacy but worth a try).  

6.  If it comes back as neither of the above:  don't panic!  Stress makes your bladder clench, worsening the symptoms.  Ask to be referred to a urologist.  Do not accept no for an answer.  Find a doctor who will listen to your history and refer you.  The urologist will do a cystoscopy , which sounds WAY worse than it is.  They will check for "signs" of IC, but also for related causes, and there are several, most of which are not "incurable".

7.  While waiting for the urologist, think about making some changes that will help relieve stress on your bladder and help it heal.  To do this, you need to alkalize your system (avoid caffeine, drink alkalized water, avoid citrus fruit and beverages and processed meats, search out IC Diet), investigate things like TENS, meditation, acupuncture and other non-traditional therapies which will all be beneficial until you find your diagnosis.  

Above all, keep in mind that there is new research being done in this area all. the. time.  There is tons of information on the web for each of the above, and what works for some won't work for others.  Keep being your own advocate and stay positive.  You won't suffer with this forever!  :)
Hello I had a similar problem to yours. I'm 21 and I constantly feel llike I have all the UTI symptoms and feel discomfort when I have to pee , or have a burning sensation and I notice that when I eat really unhealthy it becomes more common. I hate going to the Doctors constantly to get antibiotics because the more you use them the less effective they are and also I've read and heard that taking antibiotics constantly can cause liver problems. I started doing some research and looking for alternatives to antibiotics and one the kept coming up was "D-mannose", so basically what is is is a type of sugar pill that helps get rid of infection, I've been taking it for 2 months and I haven't had any UTI symptoms. So what D-mannose is, is a sugar pill or powder(they sell both forms) that doesn't break down in your stomach so all it makes you do is pee out the sugar but the bacteria that stay in you walls and cause the infection really like sugar (that's why eating bad makes the UTI worse) so the bacteria with detach from the walls and go  "chase" the sugar you're peeing out. So it's organic and always effective and relatively cheap the bottles range from 15$ for 60 pills. They usually sell them online ones cvs or vitiman  shops