Urinary Tract Infection Community
UTI and self cath

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

UTI and self cath

I woke up with again with another painful full bladder which is one of the reasons I do the internittent self cath.  I dont empty my bladder enough when I urinate.  Anyway I woke up in more pain than usual and when I went to the bathroom and did the cath I noticed my urine was mostly blood. I know it hurt and it felt like I had a uti but I was scared when I saw that much blood.  I work nights and of course my Doctors office was closed so I went to prompt care and was told I had a uti. My back hurts and my stomach hurts.  They did give me some medicine to clear it up and said to call my urology doctor. My urine wasnt pink it was more red than anything.  I am really worried about this and wonder if I should wait until I take this medicine the whole 7 days before I call my doctor or call him now.  Am I just worried over nothing?   I havent had a uti but maybe 3 or 4 times I can remember in my life and dont remember blood in my urine and thats what worries me the most.  Especially when it was so much.  
i have almost the same problem. But i do not do self cath. I had a terible pain and when i wiped myself I had a tinged of blood and the next few hours i could see blood dripping (not much tho). I was very vey worried. I went to the doctor and he said i have a severe UTI. He gave me antibiotics for 5 days. I still have tinge of blood when i wipe myself after a wee. My friend(who is a doctor) said that there might have been a stone that fell and irritate my ureter. He said it is very common to have blood when the UTI is severe. Take the tablets and see how you are. I hope we get better soon x
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. i do hope that you have followed up with your doctor regarding the bleeding.

Anytime you are catheterized, you run the risk of getting an infection. You have to be sure that the tools you/ the medical professional are using are completely sterile or you introduce bacteria into your urinary tract.

My husbands grandmother was admitted into the hospital and catheterized. A month later we found out she had developed a staph infection (MRSA) from an unsanitary catheterization, and the hospital even admitted this. Somewhere down the line, someone didn't follow the correct procedures. I'm telling you this to reiterate at with you self cathing, it is extrememly important to use clean materials.

You definitely need to follow up with your urologist and make sure that you don't have an infection. You may have just damaged some tissue in there when you inserted the cath.
Yes I have an appointment this Fri am.  I use individual wrapped catheters and I do wash my hands and clean the area before I use one.  That is why I am so shocked I came down with one.  I have slipped and inserted it into my vagina once or twice but threw the catheter out and got a clean one.  I have never had a problem inserting the catheter at all. I havent even had sex for 9 yrs and I do know how to wipe myself. I know this is all personal but I thought about it and there is no reason I should of gotten an infection.. I will find out why or what is going on when I see my urologist Friday morning.  Thank you for the reply
I agree that it seems like you've taken all of the precautions to ensure that you don't get a UTI. I know I was prone to having them while I was pregnant because I never could fully empty my bladder, but again...you shouldn't have that problem since you are cathing. I'm stumped on how you got the UTI as well!

I was sure the blood was probably coming from the urethra being irritated by the catheter. I hope you find out your answers on friday, let me know how it goes! I probably would have had a panic attack if I saw a bunch of blood in my urine!
I wanted to let you know what my urologist told me when I saw him Friday. He said I had a pretty bad infection. I explained how I done my self cath and he didnt quite understand it either but said sometimes we get infections without knowing the reasons why.  He did however go over the whole clean cath with me again and questioned me and asked if I used a clean one everytime I cathed. I even told him about the few times I missed and threw that one away and got a clean one much to my embarassment.  He just replied it is easy for a female to do that since it is so close together.  My infection is gone now and  he did tell me I did the right thing to get to the prompt care as soon as I did.  The amount of blood was from the infection and from what he believes me not cathing as much as I should. I am to call him if I have any more problems and I go in in 3 months for a scan and an ultrasound.  I am so relieved and I really like this Doctor. At least he doesnt make me feel like I cant talk to him or embarass me.  Thats a real plus.  Thank you for your time and all the information.
Wow! I'm glad you saw your urologist! I bet you're relieved that your infection is gone. You shouldn't be embarassed about slipping while cathing. It's actually pretty common. The nurse that was cathing my husbands grandmother slipped and went into her vagina and had to throw away the cath and start over. Even experienced nurses slip and make errors because the openings are very close together! I'm glad that you like this urologist and that you got the care you needed!