Urinary Tract Infection Community
UTI

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

UTI

last week i went to the er and dr. Said i had a bladder infection..they gave me some rocephin and prescribed macrobin..the thing is i havent taken the medicine..i was wondering if theres a possibility the infection went away..and by the way im 21 weeks pregnant..
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello there,
UTIs are common in pregnancy because of changes in the urinary tract. The growing uterus can block the drainage of urine from the bladder, causing an infection. It is suggested to drink 6-8 glasses of water each day and avoid wearing tight-fitting undergarments. An untreated UTI can cause kidney infection. Kidney infections can lead to early labor and low birth weight. A urinalysis and urine culture will help in detecting if there is UTI.It can be easily treated with antibiotics which are safe during pregnancy. Seek the appointment of a doctor at the earliest. Keep me posted.
Best luck and take care!