Urinary Tract Infection Community
Unidentified Spasms

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

Unidentified Spasms

I have suffered from what was thought to be UTI's since I was a young girl - further back than I can remember.  My symptoms include an intense urethral spasm, odourious dark yellow urine, frequent trips to the bathroom, burning, and a mash of emotions - embarrassment, anxiety around people to the point I cannot be around others (don't touch me, don't talk to me) and depression as a result of all of this.
When I was younger I can recall seeing a specialist, being treated in a preventative measure for kidney infection, which I'll be honest as a child I was stubborn and tongued half of my meds.  I believe it was for the majority diagnosed as UTI's.
As I got older, they became a little less frequent in my life and today all I can link it to is stress and dehydration.  I was in a very stressful environment from birth until I was about 21 years old - last year.  I went on a journey of self-healing and to be honest sobriety around then and from then on it was few and far between, however, when I did/do get them - whatever they are, they are much more intense than I recall.  Perhaps it's because I am not self-medicating and now I can feel it, but I am sick of dealing with this.  It is debilitating and unmanageable, I cannot go about my day when these symptoms present themselves.  I am sick of just identifying it with stress, yes it's good to be aware and maybe shift things, however, I believe since this has been ongoing - there is definitely a physical or biological aspect.  Please help, any suggestions, advice or a course of action would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Hi there!

Well, frequent UTIs are often an indication of an underlying cause such as GU structural abnormalities, inadequate water intake, holding the urine for too long, hygiene issues, diabetes etc. When recurrent, an evaluation by a urologist to look into possible secondary issues may be suggested and if a specific cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly. It would also be advisable to take plenty of fluids/ juices and make it habit to urinate frequently. Wearing cotton underwears and avoiding talc in the perineal region may also be beneficial.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!